Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Which Brompton?
  • Spud

Having to change the way I traditionally travel for work and reduce using my own car to as low as possible, so one option is a Brompton – for ease of use on/ off trains, but which model?

Any recommendations? I do need to carry a laptop etc with me.

Cheers

aP
    Free Member

Depends on the terrain you intend to cycle over…
    I have a S2L-X which suits me fine for in and around London. Its the lightest Brompton as you certainly don’t want to carry the buggers very far. I use it on trains, the Tube, take it into client’s offices, the pub, its sitting next to my desk at work right now.
    I have the Carradice Stockport bag which is works pretty well (except for the stupid leather/ stud strap fixings which are rubbish) and looks good. I will be getting a saddle maker to change the straps to something that works properly.
    I sometimes carry a laptop, its been fine travelling via Brompton for 3 years.

sc-xc

Depends how far your journey is. I ride to work on a pompetamine, keep keep a brompton at the office for the regular 3 mile trips out to different sites.

I went for the SL1 with mudguards and brooks saddle.

If I had to carry laptop, I would be getting the bag for the front (I hate courier bags/rucksacks).

If you are anything over 5’9, get the extending seat post.

aP
    Free Member

I find my Brompton works for anything up to 20 mile trips. Yesterday I cycled into work 5 miles, at lunchtime I cycled up to Paddington 6 miles, then in the evening home 11 miles. So, a nice and easy 22 miles yesterday, some of which I got 20p a mile for 😉
    All fine, all in ordinary clothing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

A mate of mine has a special order Titanium one, its not for the budget conscious !

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve got an S6L. Its a great bike, but i think if i was buying again i’d get either the 3 speed or 2 speed.

The combination of both in the 6 speed doesn’t work well IMO, as the shifters aren’t exactly that ergonomic, and its like having a two speed cassette and a 3 front chainrings. Going up and down the gears requires a lot of “double shifting”.

As for the rest…
    Definitely get mudguards.
    Not sure the rear rack is that useful. As above, use the front mount for on-bike lugguage if necessary.
    Brompton’s own brand tyres are pretty fast and puncture proof.
    Agree about extended post.

Not sure about dynamo lighting but its easy to add later, and cost efficient if you sell the old front wheel.

Don’t they do Titanium anymore?

T1000
    Free Member

go for a front mounted bag the luggage system is great.

I’ve had most gearing options over the years and would recommend getting a single speed and an alfine conversion from that Ben Cooper fellow that lurks on here…… or a ready converted one

the sl6 is good but the steps between gears is all wrong (best I’ve owned was an old 7 speed… stopped making them before sturmey Archer got reborn…)

forgot to say standard shimano dynamo is a good option but fit B&M LED’s instead of the brompton badged units

phinbob

I have a S2L – the two speed flat bar version.

I initially found the gearing too high as I had a bout a mile hill up to the local station and I was getting sweaty(maybe I’m weak) so swapped out the front ring for a smaller one.

For general about town & commuting I think that’s the best model. Get the front bag – it works really well.

It’s honestly my favourite bike. The sheer joy of getting around town on it, the independence of being able to ditch the trains when they break just fills you with a sense of freedom.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve got an S3L – started as an M3L – bought second hand for a bargainous sum

Bar shape is down to personal preference at 5’10” I found the M bars way too upright, and also WAAAAYYY too flexy. Even the flat bar option ain’t exactly low. The grips are terrifying – I could just pull them straight off the bar.

The 3 speed set up I find a right PITA. Gear 1 is uselessly low. Gear 2 is fine for starting off, but a bit spinny on the flat. Gear 3 is stupidly high. Given the choice I’d go 2 speed next time. The sprockets are available in different sizes, as are the chain rings, so you can massage your gearing to suit.

Although it’s not “heavy” as a bike (23lb-ish?), it’s heavy as a lump to carry around. Mine has Eezy wheels on, so I can tow it around folded, except the bars. Whenever possible, best to push it around fully unfolded though.

I carry everything in a courier bag. Can’t be doing with luggage on the bike, especially when it all has to come off to fold the bike.

Schwalbe folding Kojaks roll way better than the stock tyres, and the reduction in weight when sprinting away from the traffic lights is noticeable too – it’s proper quick off the mark.

Ideal spec would be an S2L-X, eezy wheels, Kojaks, lockons, a proper saddle and SPDs…

bencooper
    Free Member

Try the different bars – if you’re used to a MTB then the S bars are closest in riding position, and also the least flexy. The rear rack is not so useful for carrying stuff – the excellent front bags are what you want for that – but the rear rack does make it a bit more stable when you fold the back wheel under.

Mudguards are a definite in this country. If it’s for all-year commuting, maybe consider hub dynamo lighting – not cheap, but always there and always works.

And yes, if you do want the ultimate one I can do you Alfine hub, Rohloff, disc brakes, etc. Currently working on a recumbent Brompton 😉

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

S3L here in Raw Laquer. It’s one of the new versions and way better that the previous one I had (particularly the brakes). Didn’t bother with a rack as it’s not really that useable (as I learnt from my original).

Front mounted luggage is ace. I use the larger bag that ‘can’t be used on the ‘S’ models’, well it can and it’s fine.

Also have a dynamo hub and made some changes to lighting (see https://www.flickr.com/photos/cheesyfeet/sets/72157639694132434/)

Also got Brookes Grips as then look good and are nice to hold onto.

And don’t forget, Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. The extra weight is well worth it for the ace puncture protection. Oh, and don’t forget to keep them pumped up to rock hard – makes the Brompton much more nimble – squishy tyres are a killer on teeny rims

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, too-soft tyres are the most common cause of punctures I see they get snakebite punctures on the back wheel.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

M3L. Oh, and Marathons are NOT an option. They are essential.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I have S2L with Marathons, like it. I don’t often find the 2 gears a limitation. I bought the rear rack because I needed to carry a box-type briefcase – but it’s not brilliant as anything that overhangs the side of the rack catches my heels, unless I put it right at the back of the rack.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Greybeard

The removable frame from a front bag is designed to be used on it’s own on the block. Just bungie stuff to it. I rode home with a Flat TV in a box like that once!

DrJ

Is there a preference for hub over derailleur gears? Would that be enough to choose 2 over 3, or vice versa ?

bencooper
    Free Member

The derailleur is lighter, but the ratios are quite close together and it does require a little more maintenance. The hub is heavier but very tough and needs minimal attention.

lorax

I’ve had a few – they get nicked if you leave them anywhere – and the 2-speed flat-bar titanium one is by far my favourite. It gets used most days – ridden far more than any other bike I own – and it’s easily the best overall compromise. The flat bars give the best riding position, 2 speed is much lighter than the hub-geared versions, and the lighter the better because it gets carried around quite a lot as I no longer even bother to carry a lock for it. I used to have a 6 speed and now that I only have 2 I don’t miss the extra gears. I spin out occasionally on the flat with a tailwind, but I haven’t yet had to get off and walk it up a hill.

I wouldn’t bother with a dynohub – small lights are, er, lighter – but the frame-mounted bag is pretty much essential, so much better than getting sweaty back from a rucksack, and so are mudguards. I strongly second the Schwalbe Marathons, although I just use a standard Marathon on the front and a Marathon Plus on the back, as getting the rear wheel off is a pig, especially in work clothes. Rack just adds weight and very little in the way of utility.

Of course if you’re big and strong, unlike me, much of the above is irrelevant, but otherwise I’d really go for the lightest options all round.

poolman
    Free Member

s type here (straight handlebar), 3 speed but with revised easier gearing, extended seatpost as I am 6ft 3.

I upgraded the saddle to Brooks & bought a nice matching Brooks leather mini saddle bag (only space for 1 tube, spanner though).

I think I’ll get some Brooks grips too as they look good.

Mudguards/Marathon pluses both ends/no spds yet just the stock folding pedal.

Love it & take it everywhere. Never lock it up as it will get nicked so I just ask in shops & leave it behind the door or in the stock room. Best folder around, I can join the back of a bus q & by the time I am ready to get on it’s folded away.

I bought mine secondhand off gummy, they have got v expensive at c 1k new, I see secondhand prices are c 600 for a decent one.

In fact when I worked in London I used to keep one under my desk in case of train strike/disruption.

Hope it helps

simon_g

What lorax said.

If you have the luxury of time to get a custom order in, then Marathon Plus tyres add very little to the cost. Far cheaper than buying them later when you get fed up of punctures. If you’re buying “off the shelf” try to get them swapped at the custom order price.

Check if you need the extended seatpost, again get it swapped if not a custom order.

Front luggage works great, used to carry a chunky 15″ laptop about in an S bag no probs.

I also have an S barred 2-speed. Gets up hills fine, only annoyance is when you’re on a slight downhill then gravity isn’t making you faster but you can’t pedal quicker either. It’s an incredibly simple and robust (but hardly slick_shifting) derailleur mechanism though, other than a quick clean out it’s not needed any attention. Think of it as a singlespeed but with a bail-out gear for hills.

Knog or clone silicone lights work well without affecting the fold.

Tried a Brooks saddle, didn’t like it, made it worse to carry, went back to standard.

Ought to start using mine again, the boris bikes are great but so popular now it’s a pain to get one or put one away at peak times.

Biscuitbum
    Free Member

I have just bought my first brommie an M6R which came with the lovely Brooks saddle. I havent been able to ride it yet as I am waiting for the Marathon Plus tyres I ordered. I dont commute any more, but bought the bike to have a litle fun with.

howarthp

A quick question on sizing. I’m 6ft 1in with a 34″ inside leg. Do you reckon I’d be ok on an S type with the longer seat post (not the telescopic one)?

solarider
    Free Member

I am exactly the same size and ride an S type with extended (not telescopic) seat post and Brooks Swift saddle. I ride a 79cm top of saddle to ctr BB seat height, and have an extra 1.5cm of seat post still able to pull out.

I fitted a pair of very shallow riser bars which helps raise the front end slightly and are a bit wider than the standard flat bars and doesn’t affect the fold. Makes a big difference being that tiny bit wider and higher.

You should be OK. Hope that helps.

bencooper
    Free Member

Exact same size as me too, and I find an extended post is the perfect length.

eshershore
    Free Member

We had a custom painted ‘Specialized’ two speed when I worked at concept store in Covent Garden. Apart from quick test rides on customer repairs when I worked for Evans, I’d never spent any proper time on a Brompton.

We constantly used the store bike from Covent Garden to pick up stock from the other cycle surgery stores across London, which often involved riding through gridlocked traffic. Very nippy, efficient and super fun to ride.

Absolutely fantastic bit of kit, ours had the flat bars, lock on grips, marathon tires and a body geometry Road saddle plus beanie flat pedals.

Would love to own a Brompton, but no need at moment and they are certainly expensive. Some of the guys I worked with at Evans had pimped out Brompton with Shimano cranks, race Face bars, skateboard easy wheels, even custom wheels with profile hubs. One guy was making machined fittings to replace the stock nylon parts.

keaboing
    Free Member

M6L with -12% chainring. Gears roughly match those most frequently used on my tourer. Fitted with a T bag. Managed 120 miles in one go on it, no problem if you accept that hills are going to be slow (going up that is ;-))

wilburt
    Free Member

I love the idea of a brompton but rode a £429 Dahon Vittese in Halfords the other day and it seemed better than the M3l I had ridden previously.

Tri-X
    Free Member

The next few weeks are a good time to look for discounts on in stock bikes – the 2015 lineup gets introduced next week.
    Nothing changed I believe – but some new colour options, and some colours discontinued.

S6 Superlight here.
    NB: Titanium models are hard to find/order right now – might be due to Ukrainian/Russian Titanium supply issues.

If you live somewhere flat – the 2 speed would be a blast ; If you live somewhere with big hills consider the 6 speed -12% gearing option.

If you want to pimp it, check out Brompficaton .

If you want serious winter traction – 16″ spiked tires are now available from Schwalbe.

howarthp

Solarider and bencooper – thanks, just what I wanted to hear!

loddrik
    Free Member

Got an S3L, swapped the bars for some easton risers, pedals for V12 Mags and a Charge Spoon. Can honestly say it’s been my best ever bike purchase. Ride it everywhere, 40-50 rides no problem, it is my only ‘road’ bike. Also got extended seatpost. I’m not a commuter, I didn’t buy it to take on the train, it’s just a great bike to ride.

Also got a second seatpost to attach my daughters tagalong to it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

@ 6’1″ and 34″ inside leg I am ok on std seatpost!

They are not quicker than std bikes, but they can feel it. Mine feels uncomfortable after 10 miles or so. I run and M type stem and some mtb risers.

Gearing: -12% 6sp is what I’d recommend for anywhere hilly, or 3sp if you don’t mind gaps. 2 speed weighs less but wouldn’t work for me, and I’d prefer to optimize it for riding over carrying. Std tyres been OK for me too but my roads are ok for punctures.

Bling it if you want, the std stuff works fine IMO, the “upgrades” I’ve seen remind me of machined alu parts from the early 90s mtbs scene – and not in a good way. Well overpriced also.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, standard parts are okay if a bit plasticky. The one big improvement is the Brompfication clamps, they’re a lot faster to use than the standard ones.

Spud

Well after all this time I’ve gone and ordered an S2L on C2W. Can’t wait to get my hands on it..

loddrik
    Free Member

Was out on mine yesterday. After a few weeks of only riding hybrid/cx bike and 160mm full suspension, getting back on the brompton makes me realise I prefer riding it than the other two. It’s great fun.

Spud

So far my thoughts; great bike, really fun to ride around town. However, the stock gearing on the S2L was way too high for me, especially up hill back from the station, swapped out the chainring for a 50T and its better but still something of a slog. Was rather limited on C2W options! Anyway, might try the 44T, but this could e seriously spinny on the flat. So far, so good.

seanbolton
    Free Member

Also consider the Birdy Bike, the German equivalent of the Brompton.

More gears, suspension, generally a bit lighter than an equivalent Brompton.

http://www.birdybike.com/

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I bought a Kansi 3Twenty after trying a brompton.
    The larger wheels really maximise the comfort with only a 1KG penalty on the weight.

I paid £300 for the Kansi

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Which Brompton?’ is closed to new replies.