Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Which Brakes?
  • Bucko

I’m after some hydraulic disc brakes for my cheapo Inbred SS, i’m aiming around the £50-75 mark. It currently has Tektro Auriga Comp fitted, their stopping power is good enough but I just feel like I want some better brakes, better feel and nicer levers for 1 finger braking.

I have Formula RX on my other bike and they’re great.

I hear great things about Shimano brakes but there’s just so many to choose from and I know nothing about the numbers (486, 575 etc).

I’ve seen some Hayes Strokers going for alright prices on eBay but again I know nothing about them either.

And then there’s Avid, which seem to come on every other bike out of the factory but I only ever hear bad things about. And for that reason I assume that every set of Avid I see on eBay will be a problem pair that someone has had enough of.

So, I’m going to keep an eye on the classified and eBay but has anyone got any opinions they want to share?

jimc101
    Free Member

Your budget tight for any hydraulic discs, if you can stretch a little, Shimano Deore M596 are very good value for money, but you will need to get adaptors / rotors as well.

Bucko

I have been eyeing them up on CRC, with a 10% voucher they would be £70 for the set. I just didn’t know if they were any good or not

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimc101
    Free Member

General consensus on here seems to be they are very good, several guys I ride with have moved to they as well, just about all the benefits of the SLX/XT, but at much less cost.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Which Brakes?’ is closed to new replies.