Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which brake mount!?
  • mccraque

I’m trying to mount an Avid Elixir to a Rockshox Yari fork. I’ll be using a 180mm rotor.

The brake has previously been used with a 160mm rotor and as such just bolted straight onto the fork with a couple of washers providing spacing.

I’m pretty sure I want a post mount. Am I just being stupid – all I can find are IS to post adaptors. Can anyone post a link to the mount that I need please!?

Thanks

mccraque

Thanks – and will a shimano mount work ok with an avid brake?

mccraque

Right – bought the mount, fitted it… But it fouls the rotor. The diameter of the rotor is too wide! Can I put the washers between Caliper and mount to push the Caliper further out?

What’s going on!? Help!

hainman
    Free Member

do you mean the rotor is fouling the mount?or the end of the caliper??

andyl
    Free Member

Some of the earlier avids had ball and cup washers you placed between the caliper and bracket but these ones look to not have it.

Are you sure you’ve put the adapter on the right way up?

If so then washers should be fine but shouldnt really be needed. You do need to make sure you have plenty of thread into the post mount so it doesnt strip out. also if using longer bolts make sure they are not too long or they can bottom out and strip the threads that way.

mccraque

Definitely the correct way around.

The amount of bolt will be the same into the mount – the instructions said to mount the little ball and cup washer between the head of the bolt and the Caliper. I’ve simply moved them to between the adaptor and Caliper.

STATO
    Free Member

As you can see here some Elixir brakes use avids CPS caliper mounting system (cup and cone washers each side of the caliper) some don’t.

If you have a caliper that does (it sounds like it, you mentioned running with 160mm rotor and ‘some washers’) then the shimano adaptor is not suitable and WILL damage your fork as the bolts are not long enough for additional washers. [edit]and moving them washers to under the caliper will mean the heads of the bolts will now be sitting against the caliper at an angle, so will likely slip or come loose[/edit]

If you have a caliper that does NOT use CPS, then the shimano adaptor would have worked with the caliper against it and the included (with the shimano bolt) cup/cone washers under the bolt heads.

I.E. It is highly likely you have CPS and as such now have the wrong adaptor.

mccraque

Damn. And thanks!

STATO
    Free Member

Im not surprised you struggled, im struggling and I know what im looking for. It seem the old style adaptors have been phased out and what you now need is apparently a 20 S/20 P.

Instructions

I.E. this… adaptor basically just longer bolts and some big washers.

otsdr
    Free Member

I’m surprised no one got this right. A 4-bolt adapter will work just fine with the existing Avid bolts and will have the benefit of not fouling the fork threads whenever you adjust the caliper.

One example is Hope K-type, but it is available from most brake manufacturers (mine is from BrakeForce One):

STATO
    Free Member

I’m surprised no one got this right. A 4-bolt adapter will work just fine with the existing Avid bolts and will have the benefit of not fouling the fork threads whenever you adjust the caliper.

One example is Hope K-type, but it is available from most brake manufacturers:

That’s what I was looking for. But shimano don’t do them anymore, neither do avid (for 180mm rotors anyway), and I know the magura one I have doesn’t work with some as the tab on the brake pad for removal on avids hit the adaptor. Does the hope one definitely work.

otsdr
    Free Member

Any of these should work:
    https://r2-bike.com/HOPE-Adapter-Modell-K-Postmount-20-mm-180-FW-180-160-RW
    https://r2-bike.com/KCNC-Adapter-DB-X7-Disc-Brake-PM-PM-180-colored
    https://r2-bike.com/BFO-BRAKEFORCEONE-Adapter-PM-PM-20-mm-black

l.e: Now I’ve read the bit about the brake pad hitting it… you could give the BFO one a chance, as it has a tapered edge, but I haven’t tried it with an Avid caliper. The Hope one seems to have a bit of a cutout at the middle of the bridge, so it could be suitable as well. KCNC is out.

mccraque

Am I looking at this correctly – does that 4 bolt adaptor move the Caliper laterally?

My rotor slots between the pads without an issue… It’s just that the rotor seems too large… Or the mount is too small. But it’s definitely 180mm. As is the rotor.

hainman
    Free Member

I took of my avid brakes and just put my XT brakes straight on,I had no issues apart from when I swapped rotors,turns out it was 185 rotor,I put spacers in between the mount and calliper and it took the calliper away from the rotor enough for it not to hit.,

STATO
    Free Member

Am I looking at this correctly – does that 4 bolt adaptor move the Caliper laterally?

My rotor slots between the pads without an issue… It’s just that the rotor seems too large… Or the mount is too small. But it’s definitely 180mm. As is the rotor.
    Those adaptors move the caliper further from the centre of the hub in the radial direction, but keeping it in line with the rotor.

Most avid brakes used to use CPS washers, this was built into the design, you need to use them at all times.

So if you had all those when bolted to your fork originally you still need to use them with an adaptor. The avid adaptor I linked includes them for that purpose. Those other adaptors would uses your existing bolts and CPS washers.

Unless you have a new avid which does not use CPS, you need to determine that from my previous link to the instructions.

mccraque

I have those washers. I removed from the original fork.

I am guessing that the original bolts will not be long enough once the adaptor is added to the equation.

STATO
    Free Member

No they wont, nor will the ones that came with the shimano adaptor.

mccraque

I’ve decided. I hate avid.

mccraque

I’m getting really cheesed off with this! Any further thoughts before I cut my losses, stick them on ebay and get some Shimanos?

I bought the CPS hardware pack mentioned by Stato, above.

I’m using a 20mm post mount, with the longer screws, and CPS washers either side of the caliper.

And still…the damn rotor is too deep in the caliper, and hits the top of the rotor (where the pin holds the pads) on the way around. It’s almost as if it needs an additional spacer.

The 180 rotor is a wave design. The previous 160mm (which worked fine) was more rounded. Could rotor design make a difference (assuming it’s the right size)

Please can anyone shed any light on WTF is going wrong? The neighbours must wonder what all the late night swearing coming from my garage is….

STATO
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this mate. I think you will have to post pics to help us understand. If you cant work out how to post it in the forum email it to me and ill post it up. Email in profile.

mccraque

Thanks Stato….rather embarrassingly – I discovered that the issue was not the mount at all….rather that the spring/clip had folded up inside the caliper sometime between removing the brake. It’s now running beautifully!!!!

Thanks for your advice…the hardware did the trick. I now have the right size bolts and spacers.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which brake mount!?’ is closed to new replies.