Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which bottom bracket for the Peaks?
  • prettygreenparrot

Another ISIS BB down and seeing the worn teeth on my Race Face chain set I figure it’s time to open up to the world of other BB standards and get more than a season out of one.

Which BB & chainset combo for 3×9 and why?

Naturally, I’ll be replacing the chain & cluster at the same time as I make this ‘momentous’ change.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d go Shimano HT2 – the early incarnations were gash in the Peak, like a month or so of heavy use, latest stuff seems far better sealed, around 18 months out of an SLX. Or if you’re feeling rich, Chris King coupled with the injection tool and regular flushing and regreasing.

That said, the Superstar Isis BB lasts pretty well and isn’t insanely expensive.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

SLX – done!

andrewh
    Free Member

Well done! A whole season from an ISIS BB, I believ you have just set a new record.
    I’m still a fan of square taper, but unfortunately choice of chainsets is becoming limited and at some point you are going to run into compatibility issues, so it may be time to go for HT11. I’ve beeen running Chris Bling BBs for a couple of years on 2 bikes now and they have been absolutely faultless, pretty much indestructable through some really rubbish races (properly wet ones like Keilder last year, Euro 24 hr last year, almost every race this year) The only critisism I have for them is they are a lot of money. But then they won’t need changing very often.
    Try a Middleburn RS8 X-type, mine have also been fautless, got 2 of those too. Stiff, not too heavy and reliable. Also, easy to swap spiders around if you ever fancy a ouble or single set-up.

ruscle
    Free Member

HOPE

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Deore. Why pay more?

Superficial
    Free Member

My XTR one has lasted 18 months of peak grit – much longer than any of the XT / SLX ones I owned previously. May just be coincidence. Anyway, the difference in price (From Rose) is almost negligible.

Northwind

rumbledethumps – Member

Deore. Why pay more?

Cos Deore doesn’t last especially well. Cost wise SLX works out better than Deore in my experience, they last a lot better in wet stuff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Which bottom bracket for the Peaks?’ is closed to new replies.