Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Which binoculars?
  • mlke
    Free Member

I’m after a pair of small, waterproof and reasonably robust binoculars to take biking with me. Maybe 8×42 but I’m open to other ideas. I’ve been given a cheap second hand pair which are so unclear that they’re useless.
    Looking at the net binoculars seem to go from anything from £50 to £2k. Any positive experiences peeps?

philbert31
    Free Member

Zeiss or Bausch & Lomb, the difference between those and other makes is night and day!

BillMC

Check out Barr and Stroud’s bins, coated, waterproof and well priced. I bought a pair for travelling in Africa this year and they were superb.

IanW
    Free Member
    Lionheart
    Free Member

Have just been through the bino 8×42 (good size, great alround use) research phase, Really depends on how much you have/want to spend; some of the expensive 1k+ ones are amazing, they can feel like you have ‘dropped in to the picture’, around 600 hard to tell the difference but think you can. At 250 the Vanguards are very good, down at 150- 100 I rate the Barr and Strouds Sierras and series 4 can be had around a 100 or below. They are pretty good, have a set and have bought two others for colleagues, all have been impressive. Worth a test/try see if they suit you. If I was buying for a mate and wanted to give some decent (and reasonably impressive ones) I would get the Sierras 8×42.
    Check out some of the reviews of different ones as well.

seadog101

Having used many different pairs for work I can’t rate these highly enough:

Nikon 7×50 WP

But only the non-compass variant. Not too heavy, indestructable, waterproof. You can get them for about £300, and they are worth every penny.

If they are a bit too big then these Nikon 8 x 42’s are just as good, but low light performance drops off a bit:

Nikon 8×42

euain

Swarovski binos are fantastic – but you’ll pay a lot for them.

The image quality on the wife’s 8.5×42 ELs is great but the main thing you notice over lesser optics is that they are very comfy to use – no eye strain and a great field of view.

They do smaller sizes as well if you’re looking for something to go in a pocket.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

So why 8×42 rather than say 8×32?

ElShalimo

8×42 means 8x magnification and 42mm opening at the other end
    Bigger lenses let more light in thus easier to see in low light levels or on a cloudy day
    So an 8×32 model won’t be as bright as the same 8x 42 model if from the same range

The down side is more glass and more weight

plyphon
    Free Member

Is thread a response to this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/twerking

?

Lionheart
    Free Member

Agree with seadog on the 7×50 nikons, have had a pair for years and are great, bit bigger and touch more expensive but worth it if you can carry the size an pay the extra.

CountZero

8×32 or 8×42 Avian Trekker, the smaller version is £89, and I’ve had my pair for three years, and can’t fault them.
    They tick all the boxes you require.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Can’t remember the details but from an in depth articles in shooting mag I read that dividing the lens by the mag should give a number of 5 or damn near. Less and the mag is too big for good light catching, say a 10×40 and too much more and you have more light than the eye needs, say in an 6×42.
    Does seem to make sense from my experiences.

scotchegg
    Free Member

Minox get very good reviews for value. Mid range Khales or zeiss conquest. Upper end Swarovski or Leica.

I would go 8×30/32 myself for carrying. I have leica HD 8×42 and my father has the same in 10×30. He can see everything I can even at low light but a great compact set up. I end leaving mine at home due to size.

Edit, Matt I believe what you are referring to is more relevant for a rifle scope with a single objective.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Steiner FTW

End of thread.

seadog101

winston_dog – Member

Steiner FTW

End of thread.

End of pocket money!

CountZero

Edit, Matt I believe what you are referring to is more relevant for a rifle scope with a single objective.

Nope, applies to binocs too. The optimum size would be 7×50, they have the largest exit pupil, meaning best low-light performance.
    However, a 50mm objective lens is a lot of glass, and as a result, heavy binocs. Also, the higher the mag, the narrower the field of view, so slight movements of your hands makes for greater movement of the viewed object.
    It’s all compromise, get the best you can afford, in a size that you can comfortably carry all day, with the brightest image.

robbieh
    Free Member

recently bought some Barr and Stroud 10 x 25 Sahara compacts, excellent light, small and powerful enough for general use when out and about. they are Rubber coated, waterproof and are gas filled to avoid fogging. Think I searched about and got them for £56 IIRC.

winston_dog
    Free Member

winston_dog – Member
    Steiner FTW

End of thread.
    End of pocket money!

Buy cheap buy twice!
    I have a 7×50 pair of Steiners that are simply superb and 16 years old. Still have 10 years of their guarantee left.

Also go for the biggest objective glass you can, way more important than magnification. Stick to a 7 or 8 mag.

dommer45
    Free Member

Check out Bushnell elite, 10×36. Good compromise of price, performance and size.

k-sugden
    Free Member

I have some Nikon HG’s which are just amazing but the wife has some RSPB own brand which are very close optically although the mechanics and design is no were near as good but they cost half as much as my Nikons They have improved the design now so would be worth a look.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Which binoculars?’ is closed to new replies.