Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • which bike to commute to work for less than £1k (bike to work scheme)
  • aw
    Free Member

I have £1000 wiorth of Evans bike to work vouchers but unsure which bike to go for. i quite fancy a hybrid as i have not got one of those at the moment (got road boardman carbon, Klien MTB, kona unit 29-er and old singlespeed crosser).

i would liek to buy something good for commuting?

Singlespeed?
    Hybrid?

thomthumb
    Free Member

whats your commute like?

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

Well I have a Kona hybrid which I had used to commute to work now and again, but just bought an orbea road bike and found it’s much quicker and more comfortable. Guess a hybrid will be better for winter use though…

My ride is only 8 miles and flat most of the way, in fact pretty boring which is why I don’t commute by bike that often, prefer to go more interesting places!

What’s your commute like?

TiRed

How many hills?

Flat/flatish – get a fixed/singlespeed. I commute 25 miles per day on a Kona Paddy Waggon fixed with rack, guards and puncture proof tyres, and love it. That would leave a lot of change for accessories and you will need some clothes!

Hilly – get a Day One alfine, winter-proof gears and disks to stop. You’ll still want a rack. But won’t have any money left over.

aw
    Free Member

The commute is 5 miles in and 10 miles back avioding hills. I use currently a mixture of boardman team carbon road bike and singlespeed converted crosser (alu frame). The singlspeed definetly needs the flatter divert home 🙂

5lab

what don’t that combination of bikes give you that you want? seems like you already have 2 pretty obvious choices. If I had those 2 bikes i’d not be spending an extra grand on a bike to commute on

aw
    Free Member

well I applied for the vouchers BEFORE I knew what bike to have so…

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have settled on a winter toad bike with drops and full mudguards – not trendy but great in the winter weather!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘which bike to commute to work for less than £1k (bike to work scheme)’ is closed to new replies.