Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Which Bike to Buy?
  • gfkbeta
    Free Member

Hi all

I want a bike for casual use, cycling along the canal mostly, only a tiny amount of off road.
    I heard some good things about decathlon bikes, and was wondering if anyone could recommend or dismiss the following as good options?

basic bike with no suspension

next model up with suspension

next model up

similar price, no suspension

wild card

I read about low-end bikes tending to fall apart after a few months? if true, are these those kind of bikes?

Thanks muchly, Dave

EDIT: budget is up to £300, but i only want to spend this amount if its because its a better quality bike with a longer life

bensales
    Free Member

Ignore suspension at your budget point. For the usage and budget you’re describing, a hybrid (similar price, no suspension one), with more off-road suitable tyres would fit the bill nicely.

Tyres like

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700×42-hybrid-bike-tyre-id_4753269.html

or

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/transworld-hybrid-bike-tyre-700×35–id_8026693.html

Although you’d need to check the tyres can fit in that frame.

I’d advise a chat with your local bike shop, clearly describing your usage and budget. They’ll be able to show you stuff, size you properly, and change things like tyres and saddles to better suit you.

RRD
    Free Member

Check out halfords too… Yes, as a shop they are not necessarily STW’s favourite but the Carrera range are good value for money and they occasionally have some silly discounts

midlifecrashes

All of those should do you fine, but the mountain bikes are more head down and tear along style, than sit up and look at the countryside around you. Of all the bikes you’ve listed, I’d go with the last. Very well equipped for the money, you won’t need to add any accessories beyond a pump and repair kit. I’d look at the non-city hybrids they have too, they are good bikes, some mates of mine have his’n’hers combo and we’ve done plenty of miles on them. Well worth going to the shop and throwing your leg over a few, the seating position is quite different across the few you listed and you will definitely prefer one over the other.

gfkbeta
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice guys. Good point on the sitting up vs head down, had not thought of that. Id rather be comfortable and looking around. I guess i should pop to my local rather than playing lucky dip and ordering online. Thanks again

gfkbeta
    Free Member

So, ive procrastinated a little futher lol. I looked in my local shop but all the bikes started from £300-400, a bit above my budget. Do Apollo make good bikes? One thing putting me off some of the decathlon bikes is the fact they openly advertise some of them as bikes for occasional use ie. they wont last.

apollo bike

is this carrera better than the decathlon bikes/apollo? many thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Which Bike to Buy?’ is closed to new replies.