Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Which bike insurance
  • davela
    Free Member

Having just got a new MTB, our insurance won’t cover it out and about. Any suggestions for good insurance cover while out of the house?

davela
    Free Member

No one have bike insurance then…?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Home insurance that will cover them, specific insurance is very expensive.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Just done my renewal of home insurance.
    NFU Mutual, M&S & Direct Line Select were the three contenders.

NFU mutual will include bikes but will want to cost the specific cover you require under the “personal belongings” part of the policy.
    NB they only cover up to 2 years old on a new-for-old replacement basis, beyond that you have to estimate on a second-hand replacement basis as they won’t be giving you new-for-old

M&S USED TO include bikes up to £5k each without having to specify. They no longer do, even if you are renewing, it is now on the revised Tc&Cs which have a limit of something like £2K I think. To get cover above that value you have to list the bikes individually. This made them too expensive for me (12k in 3 bikes)

Direct Line SELECT was best option for me. They offer £100k of contents cover (no, I don’t own that much stuff) but importantly they cover ANY item, ANYWHERE in the world, new-for-old, up to £10k each item, without the need to specify it. They were also comparable to NFU on price so I asked them to beat the NFU price, which they did.
    NB, this is “SELECT”, which is different to Direct Line’s standard product.

davela
    Free Member

Thanks. NFU mutual is one that we’re thinking of anyway. We’re with Direct Line at present but the standard policy not Select so they won’t cover it (they have a 2k limit)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Which bike insurance’ is closed to new replies.