Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which bike for next year?
  • njee20
    Free Member

So I'm in the relatively fortunate position of being sponsored by a local shop and getting bikes at a rather hefty discount! This means I can flog my bike at the end of each season and cover the cost of the new one, it's been self perpetuating for about 5 years now!

For 2011 I just can't really decide what I fancy. I can choose from:

– S-Works Epic
    – Top Fuel 9.9
    – Spark RC

I'm not hugely inspired by any of them, so which would you buy? I'm sure I'll ignore everyone's opinion, I don't want you thinking I value them, but nice to see what you'd choose! I could custom build on any of the 3 frames, although my 'back of an envelope' maths suggests it'd cost a reasonable amount more.

It will be my only MTB, I'm only 66kg and firmly in the 'XC racer' camp, although the bike will do stuff such as Afan, Cwmcarn etc and plenty of riding on the Surrey Hills!

As it's through a shop I can't get anything else than those mentioned. I could just keep what I've got (2010 Top Fuel 9.9), all things considered that'd be the most sensible in the short term at least, but it's worth that bit less after 2 years that I'd lose a lot more money. A nice dilemma to have I know! So c'mon inspire me…

partyboy
    Free Member

Its STW, you need an Orange 5 of course 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

Sorry, how daft of me! With 2.4" tyres and bolt-through forks of course 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

"I'm firmly XC racer camp" 😆

If the Fuel has done everything you wanted of it why not just have another one of those?

njee20
    Free Member

That's what I'm leaning towards, but they've made it heavier, it's stronger, but I didn't break this one, I want it lighter!

All idle musings anyway at the moment, must be bored!

B@rney
    Free Member

+1 Top fuel 2011

crazy-legs

I saw the 2011 Scotts today Nick, they were VERY nice. OK, most of the work seems to have been on the new 899 and the Genuis LT but the Sparks are still lovely bikes.

Actually, if I was in that position, I'd probably go for the 899 hardtail in spite of having used an XC FS for years!

Or stick with what you've got and get me the new Epic on your discount… 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Scale 899 is £8000 though, even at team rate that's crazy money! I'm not good enough for a hardtail anyway, need some skills compensation 🙂

They do look awesome though!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Can't you get a 150mm travel Ti hardtail with 2×9 and matching Chris King everything?

Nothing else is worth having for any kind of riding :mrgreen:

grahamh
    Free Member

How about this!

but it will come with a 'Marin' badge and not a 'Whyte'
    from what I understand

njee20
    Free Member

Can't you get a 150mm travel Ti hardtail with 2×9 and matching Chris King everything?

Why not 2×10!?

I'm thinking 1×10 on whatever I get anyway!

avdave2

That's a prototype of the new Rift Zone isn't it?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nah 2×10 is way too niche

crazy-legs

I'm not good enough for a hardtail anyway, need some skills compensation

I'm thinking 1×10 on whatever I get anyway!

Does not compute surely?

njee20
    Free Member

1×10 requires a modicum of fitness, which I have, what I lack is the ability to ride downhill fast without hitting things!

ziggy
    Free Member

Getting a Ti frame (not sure which one yet) and rebuild my Duster HT, just about to order a GT Distortion for play time in the woods, a first for me, always been a hardtail XC jeyboy.

Oh and maybe a Bianchi Infinito if cash allows.

And maybe a Charge Filter 🙂

sputnik
    Free Member

Right, never mind what we would choose out of the 3 options.
    What would you choose if your bike shop didn't limit you to just those three?

nonk
    Free Member

sell the top fuel to yourself chap heavier = stiffer. 😉
    yknow it makes sense you could of sworn that old one was a bit noodley in the corners.

njee20
    Free Member

What would you choose if your bike shop didn't limit you to just those three?

Interesting question! Be very tempted by the new Scalpel I reckon. Otherwise I think the Top Fuel has the edge, it just looks clumsy, I'm not one for lockouts, and it's got 2 bloody great remote ones cluttering the bars!

Stiffer is a fair point, not that the current one's flexy mind!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which bike for next year?’ is closed to new replies.