Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which bike for 10 year old?
  • on_the_rivet
    Free Member

I’m currently looking to get a new bike for my soon to be 10 year old son. Up to this point both my boys have ridden Islabikes and I’ve been really pleased with them. The next bike size up with Islabikes would be the Creig 26 which comes in at an eye watering £700.
    From looking at bike shops websites there doesn’t seem to be anything available between bikes for younger kids and adults bikes. Does anyone have any recommendations for suitable alternatives or experiences of their own kids with smaller sized adult bikes? I haven’t ruled out the Islabike but would like to see if there are any suitable alternatives.

TiRed

I bought my son a 14″ Kona Blast deluxe. It was a 2009 model that was half price (about £380). In general, companies struggle to sell such small well-specified “proper” mountain bikes, so there will be some bargains about. Giant Revel (Woman’s) comes in an XS and will fit too.

If you have another son, think of the savings as you hand it down. It eases the pain a little. Then take your son to Afan for the red routes.

DezB
    Free Member

£700!!! Oh but it’s an investment cry the Islabike fanbois! £700! 😆

Giant, Specialized etc. do 24″ wheel bikes. Second hand is the way to go as they only have them for a couple of years, so most are in good nick when people sell them on.

The Giant is about £270 new

moniex
    Free Member

I build them myself, my oldest has a 14″ on one scandal with some air rebas. On one frames are quite long in the top tube, so not always ideal.

For my youngest (9 at the time) I built something out of an old rockhopper frame (13.5), with duke air forks, shorter cranks, 2×9 deore and some decent wheels. Lovely bike and cost me about half your Isla bike to put together.

Sold the rockhopper and now building my youngest a slightly bigger 15′ (but old ladies frame I think) rockhopper frame up. These frames are light and comfortable and my son loved his first rockhopper, he always picked it over his brothers on one if given the chance.

So, have a go and build your own!

DaveRambo

second hand Islabike ?

on_the_rivet
    Free Member

There doesn’t seem to be many of the bigger islabikes avilable second hand – presumeably a lot of people baulk at the large price jump from the smaller models. With two boys and the resale value we’ve definitely had our moneys worth from the islabikes so far but £700 is a lot of money even for 2 boys. Thanks for the other tips.

mick_r

Eldest has done 20″ and 24″ Islabikes which have seen us through 6 years of proper mtbing (and now being re-used for little brother). After age 10 it is diminishing returns and the prices get a bit silly – get the size right and they can just ride an adult frame.

I’ve just moved him onto a slot dropout Inbred – the 14″ frame is a great size for kids. Built up very cheaply from our parts bin, so he has nice light Magura Ronin air forks, cheapo hydro discs and an Alfine rear wheel / transmission (bit heavy but very reliable and kid friendly). The dropout means we can also build it up singlespeed or derailleur geared to shed some weight at a later date.

I spent a while dithering over crank length (buy some 155mm or try the 170mm we already had). The 170s have turned out to be fine – especially off road when wanting a bit more leverage. Also an added benefit of the longer cranks is that you run the saddle 15mm lower so easier to touch ground. If doing lots of sat down road miles then maybe shorter cranks would be more important.

stevied
    Free Member

Judging by some of the kids bikes you see at the FoD etc you should be looking to spend at least £4-5k on it.

on_the_rivet
    Free Member

Yes when we went to the Peebles Kids stage race last year I had some severe cases of bike envy, with some 10 year olds on some expensive kit

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

my boy is 9, 10 in may. very average height. had an isla bein 20, superb quality, hold value well… but in looking for a new one for im last summer thought there was better out there. isla are just so expensive.

after asking on here, and reading similar threads, almost went down the xs frame 26″ route but in the end scored a used scott scale and very glad i did. even compared to the isla when he rides it it looks perfectly sized as a mtb for him.

unless he has a grow spurt i’d say its good for at least another year, after than its xs 26 for sure.

only neg of a 24, as a complete, is that the running gear just is’nt as good as if i built up a 26. the scott has basic shimano 7sp, Vs, basic shock.. i’d like to upgrade it all but it means new wheels before i even start.

also definitely a a good call to buy used.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which bike for 10 year old?’ is closed to new replies.