Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which bike case/box – for flights?
  • gp
    Free Member

Hi

Do you have any recommendations for a sturdy (not massively heavy) hard/EVA bike box/case?

I would like to take my bike on a flight and have been looking at the various bike boxes from Polaris, DHB etc. Some sound like fitting a road bike can be a squeeze so I wanted to make sure my Yeti 5 (120mm forks) will fit OK!

Thanks

doug_basqueMTB.com

Did you see Ed @ GreatRock’s pictures of his Evoc thing? It looked like the absolute dog’s proverbials. Expensive though. There’s pictures of it on his website.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Usually use the CRC Bike Bag, with box inside. Takes my full suss (Heckler with 140mm fork. Never let me down and now travelled around a bit!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve got the CRC bag too. It’s fine and does the job. Mine is pretty ripped up now and held together with duct tape. What really bothers me with mine is that it’s so unstable and is a hassle to wheel any distance. Mark from STW had a cool box when he visited us, it was super secure but didn’t have wheels which is a pity.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

doug_basqueMTB.com – Member

What really bothers me with mine is that it’s so unstable

I found this when I packed the bag for the first time – but I turned the bike around so the forks were nearer the carry handle and not the wheel end of the bag (if you know what I mean) and….

Hey presto! Stability!

gp
    Free Member

Thanks – I’ll check the Evoc and CRC bag out… I don’t have tons to spend but knowing baggage handlers I’d like it to be pretty tough!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve tried it all ways and even if it’s stable at first then it gets less and less stable as I go on and everything moves. Last time I was taking the train from Inverness to San Sebastian though 🙂

gp
    Free Member

The Evoc bag looks great – very tidy – even with 10mm padding though I wonder how much airport abuse it could take…

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Doug, you need to put books or a bit of wood under the bb like i showed you. No more bike falling over.

Evoc bag weighs 8kg iirc.

doug_basqueMTB.com

True, you did show me that! It’s so frustrating to cut up some Parisian commuters only to have your bag topple at the next corner. The Evoc’s wheels are extended (with wheel arch covers), it looks spot on.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I bought a second hand Trico Iron Case off here a few years back. Used it for my carbon road bike and mtb on trans Atlantic flights. Safer than a padded bike bag.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=2345

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which bike case/box – for flights?’ is closed to new replies.