Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Which best all round tyres for Peaks/Lakes/Wales?
  • agent007
    Free Member

Been using Continental Verticals for years and love these tyres. Seems like these have now been discontinued but have not heard good things about their replacement, the Mountain King.

Plus the game has probably moved on a lot in the tyre game the last few years. What would people recommend these days as a good all round, year round MTB tyre for use on natural trails in the Peaks, Lakes and N.Wales?

nickdavies
    Free Member

I use Conti Rubber Queens in black chilli flavour for the same riding as you, not found anything i like better (now called Trail Kings). 2.2 both ends but might be tempted by a 2.4 front next time.

Just gone to the race sport version which i’ve heard bad things about but i’ve not had a puncture yet, I run them tubed though.

Spesh Purgatory/Butcher or just Purgatory both ends

Reasonable price, not too heavy, work well in most conditions.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Snap. 2.2 Rubber Queens in UST flavour, run tubeless always. They are excellent in the majority of conditions. Used that setup while I was at uni in Aberystwyth too, so I know they do well in that kind of natural terrain.

I have used the Mountain King 2s also, but the 2.2 in those is considerably smaller than the 2.2 in the RQs. If you are going to go MKs I would advise going 2.4

Oh, and as with all Conti tyres, get one of the Black Chilli compound versions, not the cheap ones 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

Lakes rider here and I,m using RQ 2.2 tubeless but have recently purchased some Fat Alberts and they are just as good have a pair of XR4s on my bike packing bike!

MarkE25

I’ve run a spesh purgatory on the front over the winter in the Peak and been really pleased with it-although it is a bit slow rolling. Specialized tyres seem to offer really good value

davewalsh
    Free Member

I ride the same areas and use a Butcher on the front and an Ardent rear. Butcher is the best all-round tyre I’ve used as it copes with all conditions really well, including rocks and mud. Ardent is a great rear as it rolls really well, is grippier than it looks and it’s a tall tyre so gives good cushioning.

agent007
    Free Member

Maybe I should give the Rubber Queens a go then? Running 26″ 2.3 Verticals at the moment. 2.2 or 2.4?

Andy-R

I’m still liking the Chunky Monkey/Smorgasbord combination but this is only on the Isle of Man, mind.

proutster
    Free Member

Another vote here for Butcher front and Purgatory rear, both in Control casings, lots of riders using this combo here in the Peak – for a good reason IMO.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Lakes/Peak/Calderdale mainly here.

Rear, still not found anything to rival Maxxis dual plys tubeless. 60A Minion for all-round, or Larsen TT for Summer.

Front, 42a Minion (SP/DP, as appropriate) or Chunky Monkey, all tubeless. Also like the look of the Magic Mary that I’ve got for the new bike, but not used in anger yet.

BadlyWiredDog

Peak. 2.5 or 2.3 Minion DHF Exo front/Ardent 2.25 Exo rear. Run tubeless. Fit and forget.

grum
    Free Member

Butcher/Purgatory here too. Mostly ride Calderdale with a bit of Lakes/Peak District.

Will be buying same again when they need replacing. Very easy to inflate tubelessly on my Flow rims as well.

tomaso
    Free Member

I mostly rids in Lakes but off to Wales for the Dyfi this weekend.

Minions in whatever flavour suits your style.

I like High Rollers if they are 2.3+ but some find them a bit Marmite.

On One Chunky Monkey is good on front but strangely I hated Smorgasboards when I borrowed a mates hardtail…

I stopped using Verticals donkeys years ago! Better tyres are available.

simon1975

I had an email from UK Bike Store this very morning which included promotion of Verticals. 2.3 x 26 wired for under £13. I don’t like them myself, but you could stock up on them if they work for you!

bungalistic
    Free Member

Lakes rider here, running the purgatory grid on the back (went up tubeless dead easy) and chunky monkey up front (also goes tubeless ok) decent combo so far.

wonderchump
    Free Member

I’ve been using Minion’s on a Five but recently had a crack at Panaracer Rampage’s for trail centre duties (Whinlatter, Gisburn and Llandegla). I’ve got SC compound on the front and regular compound on the back. They do stick well on hard-pack / rock / slate.

I also ride Calderdale / Lakes and they stick well enough for natural trails cutting up mud too. The sidewalls aren’t super-tough but I’ve only had one pinch flat with them but considering the abuse they’ve taken (I’m not the lightest of riders) they’ve been good.

daveh
    Free Member

Have Hans Dampfs fallen out of favour? Under £60 the pair from our German friends.

agent007
    Free Member

Sorry, forgot to say can’t do tubeless at the moment as have non-tubeless rims and a whole stack of spare inner tubes that need using. Does this change anything above?

daveh
    Free Member

can’t do tubeless at the moment

You sure about that? Ghetto tubeless method works for most rims as far as i know.

Paceman
    Free Member

Have Hans Dampfs fallen out of favour? Under £60 the pair from our German friends.

I’m haeading up north in a few weeks to have a crack at the full off-road Coast to Coast over four days. I plan on using 2.35 Hans Dampfs on my sturdier wheelset (Stan’s Flows).

jonnyrockymountain

loving spesh tyres here

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Which best all round tyres for Peaks/Lakes/Wales?’ is closed to new replies.