Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which BB do I need? (old road bike)
  • joe1983
    Free Member

Doing up an old Roy Thame frame (yes it is a road bike!). Need to get a BB for it but don’t know how to measure it up for the correct one. If it helps it is reynolds 531 from the 70’s (I think).

While I’m at it need to find the correct seat tube diameter. Measured it, was way out. 26mm rattles around inside, 27.2 mm won’t go in. I guess it’s 27mm, but could be 26.8.

Any help greatfully received.

Cheers,

Joe

scaredypants

the MIGHT of Sheldon

Have you got the old BB ?
    What crankset is it for ?
    Measure the shell width & read the above link

joe1983
    Free Member

Thanks Scaredypants, don’t have the old BB unfortunately and need to buy some cranks to suit. I’ll refer to Mr Brown now!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Pickers

The good news is that BB shells haven’t really changed at all.
    Almost without doubt it’s 68mm wide with English threading. The difficulty comes with the mulitude of BB axle lengths and types – this is down the crankset that’s going on.
    Prob’ly a good idea to get the threads chased out at the LBS, get them to do the seat tube as well.
    I use a Holdsworth 531 frame of the same era, BBs are no problem. Brakes to fit and work well on the other hand….

oldgit
    Free Member

Roy Thame! is it orange?
    26.8 and 27 were popular then.
    Bottom bracket was probably 68-SS-120 I’m sure mine was’nt 70-SS-120 Italian.

oldgit
    Free Member

Me on my old Reg Barnett and my mate on his Roy Thame, racing towards Ivinghoe Beacon.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Great pic – the old days!!

Lionheart
    Free Member

I have a Brian Rouke bought in 1977 uses a 68mm 120mm (now has a RR Ti one in) with an early Shimano 105 crank set, as above crank arm position is the challenge

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Which BB do I need? (old road bike)’ is closed to new replies.