Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which BB and crank for a retro 92 Kona Cindercone
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Just bought a cindercone frame of someone on here with the idea of building it up into a singlespeed winter machine. I’d stupidly thought that I could fit a hollowtech crankset to it, but quickly realised that whilst the BB was easy to fit, the crank axle wont actually fit through the frame due to the way the BB tube is reinforced.

Does anyone know what BB/crank I’d use for this frame?
    ta

Bruce

Are you certain it’s reinforced? I remember my early 90s kona explosif had a plastic sleave and and a grease nipple so you could grease the cup and cone bottom bracket.

schmiken

Pics?

tpbiker
    Free Member

it may well be a plastic sleeve actually. Its defo got the grease port. Can it be removed so I can use my existing BB?

Will try to get some pics up later if I don’t get an answer.

ta

Bruce

Yes. Unscrew the grease nipple and it should slide out.

belugabob
    Free Member

I hope it takes hollowtech BBs, as I’ve got a Cindercone in my garage (that somebody donated to ‘a good home’) and I intend to refurbish it over the winter.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Yes it does! Crank now fitted. Thanks Bruce 🙂

tonyd

Failing that IIRC a standard Shimano UN54 square taper will fit. I think that’s what I put on my 93 Cindercone when the original finally failed.

Edit: Never mind!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Which BB and crank for a retro 92 Kona Cindercone’ is closed to new replies.