Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • which bars?
  • pondy
    Free Member

after some new bars, at the monent i have some easton ea50 which measure about 670mm wide, also a ea50 stem which is 90mm. they seem to flex alittle and creak, they also seem slightly to far away so im after a 70mm stem and 31.8mm bars.
    no idea what bars i should be after, the bike get used for work and local trail centres. i have not had an issue with the rise (apears to be 40mm from centre of clap to top of bars) or the width

thanks

rmacattack
    Free Member

i have had about 3/4 sets of bars in my time and at the minute the answer pro taper am are the best bar ive rode on yet. 720 mm wide 1″ rise.

somouk
    Free Member

There are loads of bars on the market and it’s just a case of finding the ones that suit your criteria. When I had new bars I chose based on:

– Width
    – Rise
    – Price

That left about 3 bars to choose from so I picked the set from the best known manufacturer.

andyl
    Free Member

sweep is important too. easton are normally about 9 deg.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Get some that are 700mm or wider. They are just better for everything, no exceptions.

Frankers
    Free Member

andyl – Member
    sweep is important

Don’t forget Sooty….

pondy
    Free Member

have been recomended answer ones also, been looking at these. wouldnt mind the carbon ones but slightly out of my price range, guessing the only differance is the weight and they are slightly stronger?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42513

metalheart
    Free Member

Merlin have alu havens (711) or havocs (750) for £39.95 less 10% ATM.

You could’ve got haven stems for £45 the other month too but now they are back up to £60-ish I think…

burnie
    Free Member

+1 for havocs you can always get the hacksaw out if you don’t like the width.

rmacattack
    Free Member

havocs seem like a good deal, gives the width to cut if needed

rOcKeTdOg

Fortunateson09 – Member

Get some that are 700mm or wider. They are just better for everything, no exceptions.

apart from my local trails and places such as cannock, the trees are too close together

creamegg
    Free Member

have Havoc alu’s on mine. I like them. I’ve kept them full width

daveh
    Free Member

Bought some of these this morning. Light ish, wide ish, cheap!

metalheart
    Free Member

Daveh: 700, pffah, hardly worth getting out of bed for! 😉

Got my set of havocs through the post the other day. Definitely heavier than the carbon havens, that’s for sure!

fd3chris
    Free Member

I just picked up some alu havocs at merlins, seem to ok at the minute. I bought a RF turbine 60mm stem and can’t believe how light and well made it is. I think I’ve had most of the quality stems but this to me beats them all.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Had my Easton Havoc’s for about 4 months now and they’re perfect. Haven’t even thought about cutting them down even once. When you get lock on grips on them, 750mm isn’t that much after all. Love ’em 😀

gingerss
    Free Member

+1 havoc, lovely bars by all accounts and enough usable space to trim a bit of needed.

Edit: I should add that if you’re already over stretched and going wider you might want to consider a radically shorter stem. Maybe even 50mm. It’d be ideal if you could borrow one to try first though.

hainman
    Free Member
    pondy
    Free Member

i have been moving the lock on grips out on my current bars, i went to 720mm and they felt better, then 750mm and they felt much more comfortable. i have yet to ride with this yet and im still on a 90mm stem which will get changed to a 70mm. going to get some havocs, if i dont like it in the end you can easily chop a bit off the ends

justatheory
    Free Member

I’m selling my Easton carbon EC70 they are 685mm and in mint condition. £65 posted.

pondy
    Free Member

just ordered some low rise black havocs for £35 from merlin, £59 at crc

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘which bars?’ is closed to new replies.