• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which bargain brake pads?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I need some spare brake pads for my recently aquired M666 brakes.

Can’t find the right shape on Superstar, so was looking at Discobrakes/OBE, but then came across Uberbikes. I presume they’re all made in the same factory and re-branded, but does anyone have any preference?

chakaping
    Free Member

S5 on Superstar

😉

mactheknife

Uberbikes are good, but mine squeel like mad in the wet. Running alligator pads from xc racer just now and so far i rate them pretty highly. Just had a pair in the rear in spain for a week, absolutely no problems in the hot / dry conditiond and they are not even half way worn. Result 🙂 Oh thats with Formula brakes.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

S5 on Superstar

Ah-ha. Not with the other Shimano pads. Cheers Stace. Brakes are superb btw 🙂

absolutely no problems in the hot / dry

Hmmm, may not be so good here then…

superfli
    Free Member

Clarks organic

I’ve just changed my rear’s. Been in since April, weekly use in dry and mud. Power is fine (although never had a problem with any pads), no squeel unless wet. Just been through a week of DH’ing and singletrack in the Alps inc. lots of wet mud + day in Pila. I still had a little pad life left!

£20 for 4 sets from CRC if I remember correctly.

My superstar ones fell to pieces, but may have had a bad batch. Peoples opinions vary.

trailgod
    Free Member

I wouldn’t touch Disco brakes for pads
    I have had 2 failures on XT-type pads where one of the pad linings
    has come off completely, rendering the bike with no brake lever.
    Thought it was a 1-off then it happened again with another set – no good being cheap if the pads keep coming off !!
    t/g

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got some Clarks in my XTs and they’re great. Can’t find the new-shape pads though, hence Superstar.

mmel
    Free Member

I use A2Z – organic on the front, sintered on the back. They do the job and seem to be lasting pretty well

PaulD
    Free Member

+1 for Alligators from XC Racer at ~£20 for 4 sets.

PaulD

onandon
    Free Member

Another vote for Alligators from XC Racer.
    I use them on my Formula R1’s and Magura Marta’s

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

*spits* superstar *spits* *spits*

Much as I hate everythig else I’ve had from them the pads are OK IME, I usualy use the kevlar ones. I’m using the OEM Organics in my shimanos then I’ve got superstar organics as spares. Ok so they’ll not last in the wet, but Ice tech rotors are silly money so I’m loath to wear them out with sintered pads!

Taff
    Free Member

Just got alligator pads on xcracer, bit smelly on long decents when they heat up but they last well and work well

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which bargain brake pads?’ is closed to new replies.