• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Del.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which Baggies
  • GJP
    Free Member

Coming from the t’other side so to speak I have never really understood why MTBers wear baggy shorts rather than lycra shorts.

I can see sort of see the benefits of pockets but still would be unlikely to use them for anything that I wouldn’t be too upset if I lost. And, I can see the benefits of nipping into the cafe and pub and not offending the locals too much. But beyond that stuggling to see the pluses

However, I am riding my MTB far more at the moment than my road bike so I am thinking then perhaps now is the time to buy some baggies.

Any top recommendations – thinking £50 plus or minus a bit?

Jamie
    Free Member

Endura Zymes. £55 would get you two pairs. I have had the more expensive, £40ish, Singletracks from Endura and just stick with the Zymes.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My current favourite are my Fox Sergeant Short 2007 simply because they are just so comfortable. However, the full price is more than 50 quid and the 2008/9 shorts appear to be different (although presumably not less comfortable)

Sorry that’s not very helpful. But at least it’s bumped your thread up 8)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Stay with lycra.

ilikebikes
    Free Member

I have fox sergeant, and Endura Singletrack. Both really nice but I have to say I like the singltrack shorts more.

benjag
    Free Member

Sombrio Pinner, really well made and mega stretchy

GJP
    Free Member

It was the Endura Singletrack that I spotted last night on Wiggle.

How do they size up – do they come up small or are they quite generous in their fitting?

grumm
    Free Member

Specialized Enduro are by far the best biking shorts I’ve got. Not really keen on the Endura Singletracks I’ve got, they are falling apart – had to buy a seperate liner too, and got an Endura one, which is really uncomfortable.

WTF
    Free Member

I concur with the above.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

singletrrack shorts come up small.

I’ve got the large, and I’m about a 33 waist and they’re just right, but not much room for error, if your 34 or above you’d need extra large.

samuri
    Free Member

wait till you come off on rocky stuff. Suddenly lycra seems like a terrible idea. Trust me, I’ve done it and like the old joke, have ridden home with my shirt fashioned into a pair of temporary shorts.

Personally I don’t rate any baggies that come with inserts, they’re all uncomfortable, they don’t look so good and when you walk around the insert sticks out front and back making it look like you’re trying to smuggle pan handles.

I wear normal padded lycra for comfort and normally a pair of heavy nylon baggies that I pulled out of a bargain basement bin in Halfords for protection. I wish I could find more of those shorts.

samuri
    Free Member

Those shorts recommended by Jamie above look great, I’ve bought a pair. They better be good! 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

Specialized Enduros are by far the best baggies I’ve used so far (and I’ve tried Endura, Altura, Fox, DHB, Royal and a couple of other brands).

juan
    Free Member

kona are very good, so is race face an royal (size is a bit odd though you need to be fat to fill them). Fox size very big.

Plenty of baggies at your price range on CRC specially in last yar or 2 years ago range…

Agree with the comment of lycra under baggies, no point really.

Del

singletrrack shorts come up small.

I’ve got the large, and I’m about a 33 waist and they’re just right, but not much room for error, if your 34 or above you’d need extra large.

chuckle. see yesterday’s thread about endura. i find the mediums a little large on my 31/32″ waist.
    have some race face coming from crc today, all being well. we’ll see what they’re like.
    baggies are good over lycra cos then you have one material sliding across another, neither of which is your skin, when you fall off and slide.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which Baggies’ is closed to new replies.