Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which Automatic Watch?
  • roper
    Free Member

I know there are a few watch geeks on here so I thought I would ask for opinions.
    I am looking to buy an automatic watch, with date, possibly day. I would like a clear back to see the movement but not essential.
    So far I am looking at Tissot visodate and Christopher Ward C61.

Are there any opinions on these companies or other brand suggestions? My budget is £500 or less.

P.S apologies for the boring post

D28boy
    Free Member

Just got a PR 100 Automatic under their replacement scheme . Just over £400 . Nice watch and you can see the works on the other side of the watch too !

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Orient Star Retrograde as per this link.

Made in Japan with all componentry etc all being made by the same company, none of your “Swiss Made” nonsense here!

I’ve bought Orients from both Long Island Watches in the US and Creation Watches with no problems.

gary

Some possibly useful info – 15% off Tridents on CW site until midnight tonight with code TRIDENT15. There are also some £50 vouchers knocking around. If you can combine both offers (may not be possible) that would be a nice saving. (Yes I’m tempted)

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ve had a CW C60 Trident for a bit over a year. Very nice watch, looks great and feel very well engineered. I went for the leather strap but am on my second one already. I have just ordered the rubber one so I can swim in it though.

Mine lost the lumi pip from the bezel about 8 months in but it was sorted very quickly by CW.

I wear mine all the time, including in the workshop at work and it still looks great and has so far remained scuff free.

D28boy
    Free Member
    lunge

Both cracking watches but very different looks, neither will let you down. And, according the e-mail I got this morning, the code TRIDENT15 gets you 15% off a C61 if you buy today.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

£500 would get you a nice vintage Omega Dynamic from the late 60’s with ‘pre-bought by Swatch’ movement, something like an Omega Dynamic 2 with a Cal. 752 day/ date.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ll see your review and raise you a video…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXQSRdGZX2k[/video]

theflatboy
    Free Member

I recently got a Steinhart Ocean GMT for well under the £500 price, and I absolutely love it. As do most people who have seen it since. Very nice, check them out here.

Clobber
    Free Member

don’t think you can do better than CW at that budget…

Love mine, THIS is my latest one and it is stunning…

derek_starship
    Free Member

Steinhart Ocean Two.

Auto with date for under £450.

Clobber
    Free Member

That steinhart ^^ is hideous

roper
    Free Member

I do like some of the Steinhart watches, but I do like the 5-year guarantee offered by CW.
    I was tempted by his aviation range, like this one http://www.christopherward.co.uk/men/aviation/c8-svkt-mk2.html but think the 44mm diameter might be too much for my dainty wrist.
    I will have to look into the orient star.
    Second hand is also a possibility.
    Too many choices.

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

steinhart marine 38 auto?

chewkw
    Free Member

Seiko
    Orient Star <- this one is my choice.

Clobber – Member
    That steinhart ^^ is hideous

Agree, that looks shite and CW does not look good either.

Many would avoid Tissot in the far east coz the engine quality is shite based on my friend experience there.

Straightliner

The search function on Chrono24 is pretty good should you want to see what else you could get for your budget.

If you’re happy buying second hand you could get a lot more for your money as well.

CountZero

If you can find one, Seiko SPORK (SP045RK).

A lovely watch to wear, and about the clearest dial going.
    The strap isn’t original; $18 from ebay… 😉

ourmaninthenorth

Seiko automatics are very good value for money.

Seiya Japan is often recommended – I bought my Seiko from there.

(Try not to click on the Grand Seikos or your budget will acquire another zero….)

EDIT: OP this is not a boring post!

mssansserif
    Free Member

Hamilton jazzmaster viewmatic?

About that kind of money and along the same lines as the visodate.

Black or white, bracelet or leather strap.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which Automatic Watch?’ is closed to new replies.