Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • which angle headset?
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

thinking about trying to slacken the HA of my mk2 nomad via a angled headset.

been looking at the works components and cane creek anglesets. has anyone used either / got any feedback? are there others i should be considering? are they as easy to fit as a normal headset?

akira

Got a works one, fitted easily and worked perfectly. Cheaper than cane creek, have a check on on one as they had some cheap ones a while ago.

daver27
    Free Member

Good results from the Works components one too and as its a fixed rather than adjustable angle headset like the Angleset, you don’t get the “cane creak, Creak” they are renowned for.

and the works are British made if that floats your boat. and cheaper.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

whats the durability like on the works components sets?

honourablegeorge

akira – Member

Cheaper than cane creek

There are whole bikes that are cheaper than an angleset. Crazy money

andymc06
    Free Member

Got a -2 degree works on my Mk2 Alu Nomad. Been very happy with it. Noticed the bottom bearing was showing premature corrosion after 3 months. Sent works a photo and they identified it as part of a batch they had to use which were not their normal supplier. Sent me out a full set of bearings free of charge. Very good service in my opinion.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Works, all the way.

richmtb

whats the durability like on the works components sets?

It uses sealed cartridge bearings. Only had mine a few months but no reason to suspect it won’t last, I’ve not heard of any issues with them

Replacement bearings are less than a tenner anyway

Rubber_Buccaneer

I went with Works rather than Angleset because of the stories of gimbal knock if you don’t get it 100% right at assembly. Works only requires a tiny bit more thought than a normal headset to fit (cups have to be lined up). No idea on durability, ask me in the spring. Replacement bearings are cheap enough as mentioned above. I like to favour British bits too.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Running a Works -1 on My Orange Alpine. Improved it to suit my style and after about a year there’s been no problems. Easy to fit and align correctly, my only gripe is that I wish I’d got a slacker one but I figured -1 for my first attempt in case it ballsed up the handling.
    Can you fit offset bushes on the Nomad as well? They’ve also improved my bike.

Also Works are really helpful and quick to reply to email enquiries about which one you need. And much cheaper (and quieter) than the Cane Creek ones.

A friend had an older Nomad and bought a replacement linkage for it (think it was from Push Industries) and reckoned it improved his bike.

I think offset bushes and angle reducing headsets are brilliant for improving older models, especially if they had a 1.5 head tube or 1 -/8th forks so you can properly slacken them out.

Now if only someone would release the slacker headsets for 1 -/8th steerers that they were all prototyping a few years ago. I know Dirt showed a Cane Creek one but they weren’t going to release it and I think FSA had one as well.

Tom KP.

Northwind

I’ve had works in a couple of bikes, would do again. I do find they go through top bearings, which I can only think is because of the flatter top letting rain pool or something? I’ve used the same bearings in a Cane Creek S3 and they last better despite no extra seals. But that’s trivial really.

Though I did get a CC angleset for the new bike, because it was cheap on ebay.

Northwind

zero cool – Member

Now if only someone would release the slacker headsets for 1 -/8th steerers that they were all prototyping a few years ago. I know Dirt showed a Cane Creek one but they weren’t going to release it and I think FSA had one as well.

If you mean traditional straight headtubes, Works do make one, it’s been on sale for ages. Only does a degree mind. That Dirt piece was just weird, the Works one was already on sale but they spent 2 pages basically fellating cane creek and trying to get them to launch their “gamechanger” and just ignored that you could order something to do the same job, right now. And they did know.

sharkattack

I had a Cane Creek Angleset on a DH bike and the noise was horrendous. On any kind of drop it made a loud knocking, banging sound. It was also my first carbon frame so it was bloody alarming. Kept thinking my headtube was snapping off.

No amount of fettling would silence it. Never tried the Works but I wouldn’t have another CC.

EDIT:

That Dirt piece was just weird

Could be applied to most Dirt articles to be fair.

rc200f8
    Free Member

Got a Works -1 on my 1 1/8″ headtubed Turner six pack, no problems

daver27
    Free Member

Ran my Works for a LONG time, Durability is just as good as any decent sealed bearing headset, i.e they last if you look after them. neglect it and the best sealed headsets won’t last.
    They are exactly the same as a normal headset, just angled. whereas the Cane Creak has more components that could potentially introduce more areas for wear.

Works components all the way.

only advantage to a Cane Creak is if you are unsure on the angle you want, its easier to change the angle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘which angle headset?’ is closed to new replies.