Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Which AM bike?
  • theoc
    Free Member

Looking for a full sus bike suitable for the lake district. Want the bike geared for having fun downhill but dont want to push up hill if you know what I mean?

Been looking at a Cube Fritzz SL and a Nukeproof Mega Pro? Or would i be better suited to say an Orange Five Pro?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Yellow Mega.

Boosh.

Scapegoat

Canyon nerve

montylikesbeer

5, you know it makes sense

bren2709

Lapierre Spicy will tick all the boxes!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Mega, Spicy or Whyte 146

d45yth
    Free Member

Ibis Mojo Special Blend if you’re looking at spending two and a half. Comes with a triple chainset (great for the Lakes), just replace the mech with a shadow+ one and you’re good to go! 😀

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Spicy, Covert, Strive, Uncle Jimbo

mafiafish
    Free Member

Orange 5 pro is awful value for money. I’d go for one of those cheap mega frames that are around at the mo (<£650) and build it up pimping (or just save a wad of dolla for other endeavours.

thepodge
    Free Member

Budget for a five but spend it on a mega & cake

steezysix
    Free Member

Budget for a five but spend it on a mega YT Wicked & cake

And biscuits. And more cake.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Stumpy evo.
    But i’m biased

geetee1972
    Free Member

How long are you prepared to wait? My Nicolai Helius AM is going to be up for sale soon as I’ve ordered another one (going full custom this time though).

This one will be three years old when I sell it and will have two years of warranty left – the warranty is transferable and will be confirmed/backed up by Head for the Hills who sold me this one and are selling me my new one.

Nice isn’t it…. 😀

juan
    Free Member

Do people who actually reply lapierre spicy have read the OP..? He wants FUN downhill.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Mega is great – slack, long, low. Rides like a mini Dh bike but rides uphill really well, steep seat tube keeps weight over the front when seated and easy to get off the back. Bike is happy all over from long rides in the Peak District to sessioning the DH track (and riding back up again!)

Great value, especially at with Twelve50 bikes banging them out really cheap at the moment, which will leave you with loads left over for all the cake you can eat!

Love mine, under 32lbs with Lyriks, Reverb, SLX, Flows etc.

theoc
    Free Member

Well I’ve got roughly £2.5k to spend so any ideas for that budget are welcome? How well do the nukeproof mega pro pedal up hill? Is it a slog as the ratio is 1×10

Northwind

I’d be looking at YT. Which one’d depend on taste but, well, compare any Five full build to this:

http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/index.php?page=product&info=214&x3ce42=hhbu1d3iabe136rk53nslsc1f76j1is8

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Trek remedy .

schbeemb
    Free Member

I love my Intense Tracer 2… downhill “DNA” as one publication put it, but not too bad climbing… Very planted feeling bike and can take some major punishment.

vondally
    Free Member

yeti asr 7 with coil
    titus el gaupo
    heckler

not ridden a mega but sound good

remedy
    Free Member

I ride a Trek Remedy 8 and has never let me down on climbs or the fun down hill stuff

VassagoJay
    Free Member

Canyon Strive, hell of a lot of bike for the money. YT industries also a cracking bike for the money

RustySpanner

I’ve got a Rock Lobster – but I use it in the afternoon as well.

ask1974
    Free Member

Well we’re all going to plug our rides aren’t we…

The Mega gets great comments so probably best to try one out, such good value it’s hard to ignore. Only advice I can give is don’t look too hard at the spec, very misleading. Granted you may get more ‘kit’ for your money from Canyon, YT etc… But it all for sh*t if you don’t enjoy the ride. I tested several bikes and the Five was spot on, had mine custom built so much better spec than a Pro, but it was the Pro that sold me. Fantastic all day bike, climbs well and so far has taken everything I’ve thrown it down. Off to the alps soon 😀

Short list. Test. Buy.

mr_stru

Cotic Rocket if you’re willing to do the frame only?

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Rocket which Ive got on order after a great demo… Or a five after you e tried one…..

theoc
    Free Member

Looked at the Rocket but my budget is only £2.5k and the frame is £1.5k to start… I’m willing to build if you think it’s a better option?

stevede
    Free Member

I own a Five and love it but i’d never buy a complete build as the specs aren’t that great either in value or componentry choices. £2,500 won’t get you much for your money with Orange (or a cotic rocket for that matter), if i was in your shoes i’d probably be looking at building a £600 (ish) Nukeproof Mega up and with a bit of shopping around on the German sites, classifieds, sales etc i reckon you could build up a nicely specced Mega – 1×10, 36/lyrik/55, reverb, hope hoops etc within your 2.5k budget.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Strive ESX9 £2629? Great spec 160mm travel. Been looking at these myself. Should go up hill well with that geo.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2572

steve0pd
    Free Member

£560 mega frame

And nearly 2k to left to spend on components 8)

theoc
    Free Member

I’m sold on the idea of a build now… Going to go with the Mega.!

Question is which forks now? Talas 36 120-160 or float 36 120-160 or the Lyric ???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cube gets a great write up as a descending machine (know a few with them and maybe a frame/fork for sale) mega seems better post crack.

The only orange build that is any value is the AM.

Get out and demo, if you in the north have a look at biketreks/cyclewise

toys19
    Free Member

love my covert, would look at yt though..

pushironwill
    Free Member

A lot of my mates now have mega’s and they all love em ! Seems to me its a no brainer , bang some 160 lyriks or 36’s in will get a nice pair of used ones for 450 ish, air if your arsed about weight or coils if you want the best (my opinion) xt brakes and drive chain , hope/stans rims reverb , easton stem and bars , gobi seat ! Hope headset and bb !! Boom ! Should be able to build that around £2500 if you get a frame from 12/50

mikewsmith
    Free Member

18″ Cube Fritzz £1600 (Slightly Used) Should still be in very good nic, fox 36’s

If I were still in the Uk….

pushironwill
    Free Member

If your going to buy talas dont buy used !! Great when they work and nightmare when go wrong ! 36 vans are what the mega needs or coil lyrics ! Heavier but better ( again my opinion).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

TALAS is great when serviced every year. gave up with mine as I never changed the travel.

RC2 is important though

Mugboo

Mega climbs really well for a fun frame.

miguel73
    Free Member

Canyon strive ES9, I’m biased as that’s what I have, did a 30km ladybower reservoir trail on Thursday on it and not had so much fun for ages, get the suspension dialled in, play with the talas and pro pedal if you want and this thing goes over anything. Climbs well and is an absolute bitch on the big rocky descents……drop the seat, let go of the brakes and hold on tight 🙂

bren2709

Do people who actually reply lapierre spicy have read the OP..? He wants FUN downhill.

If that’s the case what’s your suggestion?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Which AM bike?’ is closed to new replies.