Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which Alfine? Help.
  • martinwilly
    Free Member

I've just snapped up a cheap Kona Paddy Wagon to use as a training bike. The plan is to fit a shimano Alfine hub.

Which one do I need? How many models are there? I can't make head nor tail of the Shimano website and can't find the answer anywhere else.

I don't need disc brakes.
    I don't want a dynamo.
    I think I need a fitting kit but I plan to use a bar end shifter, so don't need a shifter.

Anyone? Maybe I'm confusing it. Maybe there's only one model out there and I just get that one and don't fit a disc.

Also, does anybody know where to buy one or, better still, to buy one built into a 700c wheel?

Thanks all.

Martin

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you don't want disc brakes you need a nexus not an alfine.

You need the specific shifeter – either the alfine or nexus one – the cable pull is different to dérailleur shifters.

You need to correct fitting kit which depends on the angle of your drop-outs

khewett
    Free Member

if you dont need discs and its not for hard offroad get the newus hub its cheaper..

I have a alfine on winter bike they are great got mine from Petra Cycles last year – good service.

Need the fitting kit and shifter and a cog to fit. Only one model I belive but can be black or silver.

You will need shifter i think asd cable pull is diffrent to normal ones

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bent_udder
    Free Member

Sideways do a Nexus / Alfine compatible road STI – should be somewhere in the news section

martinwilly
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. Noted. I'll try Petra.

So I want Alfine or Nexus hub with a shifter, a sprocket and a fitting kit for track ends.

Thank you.

Isn't the Alfine a better hub than the Nexus? Can't I just run it without the disc?

Martin

geoffj

Is the distance between the dropouts wide enough? I know you can't get one in a tricross single.

BigJohn

Tim at Sidways will tell you everything you need to know and will mail all the stuff to you. Now sells Konas as well, so he's yer man.

http://blog.sidewayscycles.co.uk/

01270 883785

martinwilly
    Free Member

Cheers John, sensible advice as always. I should have thought of Sideways, they've always been very helpful in the past. Just spoke to Tim and he's pricing up the wheel for me now. Sweet.

BigJohn

Make sure you tell him I sent you, and send him (and Ag & Judith) my love.

SidewaysTim

Hullo John – Pib was in yesterday and I asked him how you were doing. Not broken yourself lately 🙂

Alfine can be used in non disc applications and it comes with a little rubber hat to fit in the centrelock rotor splines, so it doesn't look silly with no disc in place.

You can fit Nexus hubs into 130mm frames, you just need a little cunning. I'm happy to do it for anyone who wants an IHG on their 130mm frame.

No stock of trigger shifters for a week or two, but I do know a place that has some nice drop bar shifters 😉

Cheers all.

Tim

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which Alfine? Help.’ is closed to new replies.