Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which 700cc wheelset upto £500
  • Lloyd
    Free Member

Ok so got my first road bike, everyone I speak to recommends swapping the standard wheels out. Which are currently the Axis 2.0 on a Specialized Roubaix. So looking through endless reviews I’m swaying towards Mavic Ksyriums, Fulcrum Racing 3 and Swiss Side Francs…

Can anyone strongly recommend one from the other or perhaps a complete different wheelset? £500 being the limit, cheaper would be nice, to then have some spare cash to add to the Garmin fund. Oh and I weigh 87kg, any advice much appreciated.

whatgoesup

In true STW fashion I’ll reccommend what I’ve got.

Just last week I swapped the standard wheels of my CAAD8 for a pair of Campag Zondas. £259, less than 1600g for the pair, very stiff and (I’m told) strong.

So far just two rides but they’re great, maybe it’s just psychological but they do feel better than the old. they are stiff though- it’s noticeable that road vibration has increased so avoid if you’re after a plush ride.

EDIT – fulcrum 3s and Zondas are pretty much the same wheel I believe, just different branding and spoke pattern.

Sandwich

Another vote for Zondas especially run tubeless.

fasthaggis

OP
    Will you use the bike all year round?
    Are you in a big hurry?
    There are always a few more bargains around nearer the end of the year on posh wheels ,and you could always run the old set through the dark months.

siwhite
    Free Member

Hunt wheels would get my vote…

fisha
    Free Member

To be honest just ride the bike for a while with the current wheels. What’s the point in writing off a brand new set just now based on prejudices of others, the ones on it will spin and stop just fine, then after a while if you feel you need them then get them.

On the point of wheels, Personally I’m a fan of shimano hubs.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

siwhite – Member
    Hunt wheels would get my vote

Same here….

Lloyd
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at Zondas and Hunt. I intend to ride through winter on weekends, was thinking using the Axis for then and using these as a summer set.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What sort of riding? Mostly hills, mostly flats? Lots of breaking? Quality of road surfaces?

For me, for the riding I do, at that sort of budget, for a nice set of wheels, I’d be having a good look at these…

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-30mm-full-carbon-clincher-wheelset/

Reasonable width, depth, weight. 90kg limit and a moderately low spoke count though so you might want something a bit more robust. Keep the old wheels for when it’s crappy outside.

If you want one set of year round wheels I’d just build some Archetypes on decent hubs (Shimano or DT depending on preference for cartridge or cup and cone.) I’ve got some on Ultegra hubs for my winter wheels and they’re lovely to ride.

But I’d do this first…

To be honest just ride the bike for a while with the current wheels.

TBH I’d change tyres and tubes long before I’d change wheels. Decent open tubs and latex tubes will make a big difference.

wilburt
    Free Member

Probably doesn’t want much breaking.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Weight limit of 95kg. Use the same rims as the dura ace version aparantly just laced to an ultegra level hub.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rs81-c35-carbon-clincher-wheelset/

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wilburt 🙂

timba
    Free Member

Not the reply that you want, however, the wheels that are on will do a perfectly good job for years. Ride the bike and see how it goes/feels
    As above, consider tyres and tubes first and the Garmin. And you’ve got a few quid towards your second bike (rule of N+1)

wilburt
    Free Member

Take a look at the newish Fulcrum 5 (LG) you can get them fitted with a pair of Conti GP4000 for £230. The are quite light and also 17mm which seems to be the preferred width for 25mm tyre.

A friend bought some recently and had I not known the price would have guessed at much more.

Get a Garmin 520 and HR/Cad with the remainder.

rOcKeTdOg

Mavic kyrisrium elite (come with tyres too)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which 700cc wheelset upto £500’ is closed to new replies.