Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which 650Bb Tubless tyre for wet trails/mud (sorry to ask)
  • leftyboy
    Free Member

I have a new Whyte T-130 Works with a Maxxis Ardent TR 27.5 X 2.25″ EXO on the front and a Maxxis Ardent Race TR 27.5 X 2.2″ EXO on the rear. The front seems fine on wet slippery trails but the back is more of a spring/summer tyre I think?

So given I live near Winchester, some chalky trails and some muddy trails, which 650Bb Tubless tyre would be good for the winter?

On my 26″ hardtail I run Panaracer Trailrakers PR in a 1.9″ size which seem almost ideal if that helps narrow down my choices.

kimbers

magic mary snakeskin up front

also the Onza Greina is supposed to be good

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Whilst I wait for Conti Barons to come out I went with a rear Conti trail king black chilli 2.2 and quite like it.

sam_underhill

Maxxis beaver. They do a 2.2 now, so you can still have some volume.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Cheers mostly think of changing the rear as the front seems OK if that makes any difference?

gavstorie
    Free Member

HR2 up front, WTB Vigilante on the rear. Great combination in soft conditions.. For mud.. change the front to a Magic Mary

julzm
    Free Member

@gavstorie interesting….I have the opposite combination: vigilante on the front and HR2 on the back. The vigilante is awesome for grip regardless of surface. The HR2 is pretty useless in proper loose mud as its packs up too much. OH just got a WTB trail boss (vigilante up front) which seems a decent combo although not had a proper run in it yet.

mboy
    Free Member

Try out the Hutchinson Toro’s in 2.35″ width. One of the few decent tyres that’s available in all 3 wheel sizes, in a decent compound, and tubeless ready configuration. They’ve got MUCH more edge bite than the Maxxis that come as standard on the T-130 too…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The Ardent race is simply the faster racy version of the ardent. Really depends on what sort of mud though and what you want to compromise elsewhere.

PrinceJohn

Try out the Hutchinson Toro’s in 2.35″ width. One of the few decent tyres that’s available in all 3 wheel sizes, in a decent compound, and tubeless ready configuration. They’ve got MUCH more edge bite than the Maxxis that come as standard on the T-130 too…

How odd – when I had a set of those I found them to be quick rolling, but nervous in the corners!

EDIT – Although I had them in 2.1 flavour.

jonnyrockymountain

Specialized ground control 2.1, tubeless ready, cheap, and good all rounder

AlexSimon

A couple of people in our group switch to Maxxis Beavers around this time of year.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I’ve got Conti Trail Kings front and rear, whilst a decent tyre I’m not convinced it’s a good front tyre of wet, slippery, muddy conditions as it tends to wash out when you would prefer it doesn’t. But saying that it is predictable when it’s going to happen. I used to run HR2s on my last bike. Good but do get clogged up easily will probably go Magic Mary upfront this winter tho.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i had a quite new HR2 in the shed otherwise id have been investing in a Vigilante. cant imagine ever wanting owt other than the MM up front.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which 650Bb Tubless tyre for wet trails/mud (sorry to ask)’ is closed to new replies.