Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which 4 bike tow bar rack?
  • mj27
    Free Member

I am asking those of you that have and use one to give me your opinions.

Currently looking at those from;
    Mottez
    Saffier
    Pendle

Comments please……

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Aiston

[/thread closed]

Just be aware that 4 bikes will be ~60kg, + the rack, and most cars have a nose weight of under 50kg, so the handling might become a bit interesting as the front wheels lift off the ground (slight exageration, but thats whats happening), and if you crash your insurance wont be valid (but you will have understeered into the wall, so the bikes will be fine).

stumpy01

Don’t have any suggestions, but make sure your towbar car take the load of 4 bikes and the rack (apologies if you already have).

A mate of mine wanted to fit a 3 bike one to his Fabia estate, but the limit was 50kg which was too low for 3 mid-range mountain bikes and the weight of the rack too.

ElShalimo

Buzzrack from Roofbox.co.uk

torihada
    Free Member

As above. My car (a mitsu outlander) has a nose weight of 100 kg. With four large bikes and the rack weight, is getting on for 80kg.

I have the Thule Euroclassic G6 Led 929. 3 bike with add-on adaptor for 4th bike. Costs an arm & a leg. The rack weighs 19 kg.It has a tilt function when loaded (vital for hatchbacks/tailgates). Friends with cheaper racks have said next time they’d buy the Thule 929 after using it.

fletch71
    Free Member

I also have th thule 929, simple effective and quality!

hot_fiat

Atera Strada. Roofbox seem to have an eternal offer on the Sport + 4th bike adapter for about £375. You can occasionally find them on German ebay for €300, but the fog and reversing lights will be the wrong way around.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I went for the 4 bike Mottez, because it was cheapest at the time.

Fitted on the back of a VW Touran, nose weight of 75kg
    Rack weighs 25kg so 50kg split over 4 bikes is ok (did have to buy the wife a new bike though!).

The tow bar is a removable one and so I’ve clamped the rack onto it and just slot it in when I want to use it, as I wouldn’t use it without the U-bolt attached and that’s what takes the time to fit (the car has no other towing duties).
    It is very heavy and awkward though.

The wheel troughs aren’t made for tyres larger than 2 inch so one of mine has split from fat tyres (2.5 max) being wedged in over time.

The nylon straps are very good BUT will rub and mark paint on frames and wheel rims, so cloths and helicopter tape are your friend.

When you have fitted 4 bikes on and everything fits nicely, take a photo of it for future reference!

It tilts if you need it to, but we have good access to the boot through the rear seats so I’ve never needed it.

I have a friend who has a thule (3 bike, not sure what model) and I think it’s very good but wasn’t worth twice the money that I paid for mine.

Hope it helps.

alanf
    Free Member

Atera strada – excellent piece of kit

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

+1 for Atera Strada

codybrennan
    Free Member

+1 for Buzzrack. Comes with everything you need, easy to fit, works perfectly.

rickt
    Free Member

Buzzrack from Roofbox.co.uk

This is what I have.

Perfect sol outing and cheap

hydrophil
    Free Member

Pendle bike racks are great, we have a 4 bike rack and it works a treat
    Our nose weight is 90kg so no issues with loads

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Buy a trailer. I got a wee 5×4 erde for £100, in mint condition ( I was very fortunate) put a cross brace at either end, just high enough that the top, lower end of the down tube rest against it ( brace is covered with pipe lagging) and inner tubes wrapped round top tube and looped over handle bars.

Wooden slats for rear wheel to sit in, and you’ll still have space for other luggage between bikes, and the full boot for kit.

Downside! You have to do 10mph slower on M ways, but upside is you have a handy trailer too for firewood/tipping duties.

Wouldn’t be without mine.ill post up pics soon.

wheelie

Aiston every time. Stable and breaks down to nothing for storage.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which 4 bike tow bar rack?’ is closed to new replies.