• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by gee.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which 29er tubeless tyre and rim combo?
  • yossarian
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

Having just taken delivery of a very nice singular swift, the upgrade bug has already struck and I'm looking to shave some weight of the wheelset (halo freedom rims: 635g each, and halo twin rail 2.2 tyres: 865g each)

What rim/tyre combo gives a good balance of strength and light(ish) weight and any other things to consider when going tubeless?

ta

keavo
    Free Member

stans rims works with every tyre i've tried….geax sagauro, michelin at xc, wtb's, schwalbe little albert, conti moutain king, panaracer rampage, kenda karma, irc mythos, maxxis crossmark and probably some i've forgot about. the geax and michelin are the best for tubeless, hold air as good as ust.

Lactic
    Free Member

I've got stans arch on hope pro 2 from JRA. Currently tubeless with TR Bonty mud Xs. I'm really happy with them, and bonty have a great range of 29er tyres. I wanted to keep the rotational weight down with the big wheels but not lose too much stiffness (I tend to dodge salads a bit).
    Sadly, strong plus light = not cheap, but worth it IMO.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Stans Arch and Maxxis Ardent 2.25 or Racing Ralph 2.25

Ti29er
    Free Member

Bonty X lite rims.
    RRalf 2.25 (now / summer) and the Bonty MudX and Bonty ACX tyres (winter).

gee
    Free Member

Stans 355 29er & Stans rimstrip works brilliantly with any Schwalbe tyre.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

RAnother for Stans Arch with Tubless Ready Bonty Mud X's. I'm running the ZTR Hubs all from JRA, very impressed, I reckon I've pulled at least 6 thorns out of them in the last month and added no air.

julesf7
    Free Member

Apologies for the hijack, but, <keavo>,were you running the Panaracer Rampage of Flows with the yellow tape or rimstrip ? I want to do this combination later this month, but am unsure about the best way forward. Thanks for any advice

keavo
    Free Member

i ran rampages on stans (flow or arch, i can't remember) with just the yellow strip. works well, but not the tyre for me.

keavo
    Free Member

infact i've only ever used yellow tape on the rims, with all of the above mentioned tyres.

tazzymtb

gee- have you had the issue of schwalbe tyrebeads stretching a bit over time followed up by a tyre explosion and a rider looking like a bukaki star?

I've now given up on schwalbe/stans combos as it's ace but after about 6 months gets a bit iffy in my experience (using older style ralphs and nics with yellow tape at 30 psi) 😥

keavo
    Free Member

i gave up on schwalbe tubeless until recently. ran a couple of big jims (26ers)but the sidewalls were weak and stretched then split. i have a little albert 29er tubeless now, it has snakeskin sidewalls and they seem much tougher but only time will tell.

gee
    Free Member

Little Alberts are ace – the regular Schwalbe tyres have very weak sidealls and don't last very long. the SnakeSkin ones are the best for durability.

I've never had one blow off the rim – although saying that as soon as the sidewalls start to go I swap them out for a new set. The team is sponsored by Schwalbe 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which 29er tubeless tyre and rim combo?’ is closed to new replies.