Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Which 29er to replace a ti 'all mountain' 26" hardtail?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve made a decision.

I’m still hankering after a 160mm bike, and will get one, but most of my everyday local riding (lots of southern singletrack) is realistically better suited to clown wheels.

And as much as I love, love LOVE my Brodie Holeshot, it’s soon going to be on the classified.

So – to replace it, what are people’s thoughts? I’m not a XC whippet and like more aggressive trails. This would be a local bike for local people, ideally suited to using around a lumpy part of the south east, so think southern chalky trails, downland singletrack and jaunts through jurassic woodland.

Current thoughts are a Dialled PA 29 and – erm – that’s as far as I’ve got. I’ve owned a PA 26 and like it, as well as Mike’s philosophy. I want mud clearance, prefer descending ability to climbing and it needs to be Fun, with a capital F.

Give it to me. What 29ers should I be looking at?

ska-49
    Free Member

Yelli Screamy, Nimble 9, Quarterhorse, Buzzard, Honza & titus fireline.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Kingdom Bike Project Legion?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Transition TransAm 29? 68 degs head angle, upto 140mm forks, great write ups from what I can tell.

z1ppy

Niner ROS9, Banshee Paradox, Ragley Bigwig, Genesis High Latitude, Kona Tora

oldfart

Kona Raijin 29er Ti loveliness if you can get hold of one which I was lucky enough to do ! 😀

roverpig

I think you need to think carefully about why your “everyday riding is better suited to clown wheels”. What is it that you are looking for (more speed?) and what are you prepared to sacrifice to get it (less playful feel?).

ir_bandito
    Free Member

ooh…Kona Raijin is bloody lovely. Buy one Pimp, then give it to me when you realise you don’t want it…

honourablegeorge

<hijack> What height are you and what size is the Holeshot? </hijack>

titusrider
    Free Member

+1 for the ‘why do you want to change ?’ crew

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I think you need to think carefully about why your “everyday riding is better suited to clown wheels”. What is it that you are looking for (more speed?) and what are you prepared to sacrifice to get it (less playful feel?).

What do want to achieve? More straight line speed, more momentum when up to speed, some added comfort on small bump hits (such as ripples in edge of field singletrack or horse-churn on regularly used bridleways).

What am I prepared to sacrifice? Some ‘playfulness’. Some slow-speed handling and technical ability. I intend to get that back with a 160mm susser, which will also be used on ‘proper hill’ duties.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

<hijack> What height are you and what size is the Holeshot? </hijack>

A gnat’s whisker under 6ft, 32″-ish inside leg. Frame is a 2011 L (18.5″), pre-ISCG mounts but otherwise identical to the frame currently on sale from Brodie.

http://www.brodiebikes.com/2013/bikes/holeshot_ti.php
    http://www.brodiebikes.com/2012/bikes/holeshot_ti.php

It’s life with me is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pimpmasterjazz/sets/72157628117373679/

rOcKeTdOg

Ti Pegasus or Buzzard #singularfanboi

birney29
    Free Member

You prefer ‘aggressive trails’ but you are looking for ‘added comfort’ on small bumps?

That’s just bonkers.

I give it a month and the marketing men will have you convinced a 650b is what you need.

If it was me, I’d be going for a buzzard.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I too am confused, aggressive trails but good for field side “single track” and bridle ways, don’t usually come in the same sentence.

But all of the above mentioned are good, may I throw in a Kinesis FF29 with 120mm forks just for something different

nickc

More straight line speed

pedal harder for longer….

Nice Brodie, how much?

ahwiles
    Free Member

Scandal.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Pimp, I went from a Brodie Ti Holeshot to a Cotic Solaris. Never regretted it.

I liked the Holeshot but never loved it. I always found it was perfect for short, sharp, technical routes/loops but when taken on longer rides I always ended up feeling a little ‘beat up’ and grumbling mid-ride that I needed something more suitable.

The Solaris has been a great trail bike that can comfortable cover miles as well.

the_lecht_rocks

sold ti456, bought titus fireline evo, loving it when my nicolai’s injured….

Candodavid
    Free Member

QH, the bestest geared hardtail I have ever ridden, makes me grin like a proper eejit too.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

River pig, why does he need to think so carefully for a 29er? And why not thinking so carefully about a 26er?

matt_outandabout

And as much as I love, love LOVE my Brodie Holeshot, it’s soon going to be on the classified.

Keep it then. Ace bike.

rewski
    Free Member

Kenesis Maxlight sync, basically a more aggressive Ti version of the ff29.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Will you please stop talking about that Sync? 😉 I was going to buy one but got an itchy trigger finger and bought an FF29 instead but still really fancy one…

mccann.ben
    Free Member

Cotic Solaris here. Only on 100mm forks rides better than my old orange P7 on 140mm forks. Surrey Hills generally. Just don’t get silly flexy wheels whatever you do! Arch’s have good reviews. I have crossmax’s.

rewski
    Free Member

Will you please stop talking about that Sync?

sorry, can’t help myself, obsessed is putting it mildly.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

You prefer ‘aggressive trails’ but you are looking for ‘added comfort’ on small bumps?

That’s just bonkers.

Ah, the STW pedants. Here are the lines in between the ones you’re reading.

I like more ‘aggressive’ trails, but they are limited where I live. There are more field edges riding out of the door better suited to a 29er (hence the reason for this thread) but I’d still like to still have fun on the less tame trails in the area. You could argue I don’t need to change my bike, but you could also argue I’m looking at a more efficient tool for a particular job.

I give it a month and the marketing men will have you convinced a 650b is what you need.

I’ve only just caught onto these new 29er things, but all I know is that I MUST HAVE ONE! My years working in marketing have caught me unawares – this is truly an insidious campaign of utmost deviancy! 😛

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Oops – DP.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I always found it was perfect for short, sharp, technical routes/loops but when taken on longer rides I always ended up feeling a little ‘beat up’ …

That pretty much sums up my experience. It really is a blast in technical environments and I’m not sure I’ve ever owned a more outright fun bike from that point of view, but it gets a little harsh on longer rides. I guess it’s all about tools for the job.

baden

Another “my bike is great (and I have no idea what any other bikes are like” comment – I picked up a Trek Stache 8 the other week from the Bike Factory in Chester. Worth putting into the decision making mix.

Cheezpleez

Well, it sounds like my local riding and preserve few are much like yours. I’ve got a Buzzard and I’m 100% confident it’s more ‘fun’ than the more XC-orientated alternatives (I have an SS Inbred 29er for that stuff). I’ve yet to ride it on a full-day epic but I reckon it would be fine. Top tube is short but doesn’t really feel it with the wide bars the bike deserves.

If you lean more towards the fun side of the compromise then I think your best options are Canfield, 2Souls, Honzo, Taro, Buzzard, that new Niner and the Cromag. Have I missed any?

roverpig

I hope this doesn’t come across as confrontational. It’s not meant to be. If you want a 29er then go for it, but I’d have to say that your list of what you want and what you are prepared to give up just reads like a list of what you think will be the pros and cons of a 29er, but doesn’t really fit in with your other comments. For example, your opening statement was that it must be Fun with a capital F, but then you say that you are happy to sacrifice playfulness.

As I say, I’m not trying to pick a fight and wobbliscott this isn’t an anti 29er thing either. I’d have exactly the same comment if the OP wanted to switch from a 29er to a 26″ or 650b. It’s just about being honest with yourself about what you want as that’s the best way to pick the right bike.

mattjg
    Free Member

Is the PA 29er available now? I loved the ride of my Love/Hate, would have kept it had it not been training-wheel size.

Nobody seems to have mentioned Trek Stache, that backs off a bit from the short/slack geometry though, as an owner of a Yelli Screamy I wouldn’t do that. The ‘extreme’ bikes aren’t actually extreme, they’re fun.

As Cheez says I see no reason why these bikes wouldn’t be good for longer rides too, they come up a bit high and short compared to an XC bike, which is quite comfy actually!

BillOddie

Chromag Rootdown would be my choice to replace something like the Brodie holeshot…

However if your riding is too tame for the Brodie I would be looking at something more XC biased like a Scandal, On-One/Planet-X Carbon thing, Genesis Latitude/Fortitude or even an Inbred.

Keep the brodie and buy one of the cheap Scandal/Inbred builds on On-One?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I hope this doesn’t come across as confrontational. It’s not meant to be. If you want a 29er then go for it, but I’d have to say that your list of what you want and what you are prepared to give up just reads like a list of what you think will be the pros and cons of a 29er, but doesn’t really fit in with your other comments. For example, your opening statement was that it must be Fun with a capital F, but then you say that you are happy to sacrifice playfulness.

Heh! No, it came across as the usual STW fault picking. 😉 But you’re right – there is an element of contradiction in there. What I could have phrased better is that there are more ‘aggressive’ 29ers out there now, which is probably where I’d be looking – a midway point between a down-and-out XC hardtail and something with ‘freeride’ in the name – that’s where the Fun comes in, and where I think the PA fits perfectly. However, I do think bigger wheels here on the sarf coast are probably a better tool for the job, which is where the 29er comes in. But, and there is a but, I have and still do aim to get an ‘all mountain / enduro’ susser to replace the one sold a while back, as I do go riding in bigger mountains, as well as play at places like Aston Hill (and there’s some fun tracks round this way too). To me it makes sense to have a bike that works well locally, and one for when the local bike would realistically be out of its depth.

Re. changing wheel size, believe me – I’ve thought about it. Lord knows I have enough spare 26″ tyres to make it something not undertaken lightly.

Is the PA 29er available now?

Not yet according to the website, although I have yet to whisper sweet things to Mike. Only problem is the better half has a PA – it could be a little his n’ hers…

Keep the brodie and buy one of the cheap Scandal/Inbred builds on On-One?

That’s a proper good idea, certainly until I can shift the kit on the Brodie onto something that bounces at both ends.

Well, it sounds like my local riding and preserve few are much like yours. I’ve got a Buzzard and I’m 100% confident it’s more ‘fun’ than the more XC-orientated alternatives (I have an SS Inbred 29er for that stuff).

Not one I knew about, but the Buzzard does look a bit good…

mattjg
    Free Member

Dialled had a PA 29er prototype up for sale I saw.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Another “my bike is great (and I have no idea what any other bikes are like” comment – I picked up a Trek Stache 8 the other week from the Bike Factory in Chester. Worth putting into the decision making mix.

Another one I’d not considered – thanks.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Dialled had a PA 29er prototype up for sale I saw.

I think it’s gone now.

Candodavid
    Free Member

That’s a proper good idea, certainly until I can shift the kit on the Brodie onto something that bounces at both ends.

The only problem is once youv’e got used to a 29HT, you’ll be wondering on the merits of a 29FS

I did, got a tallboy Ltc now and it’s fantastic!!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

****, just googled Kinesis Maxlight Sync 😯 That looks like a very nice trail 29er. The Ti 29er version of the Ti Holeshot maybe?

I must admit, like Candodavid, having mainly used the Solaris since last September, over and above my expensive carbon 26″ FS (various reasons for this, weather/conditions, local loop, time, etc, etc.) I find myself drawn to a Spesh Stumpy FSR Expert Evo 29 as an amalgamation of both bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Which 29er to replace a ti 'all mountain' 26" hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.