Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which 29er … Saracen or Canyou or Voodoo or Kona
  • tiffar
    Free Member

All,

I have been pointed to this forum as “the font of all bike related knowledge” and I was hoping to pick someone brains about a couple of 29ers.

I am looking to buy a 29er in the near future and I have narrowed it down to a few.

Kona Tora
    Saracen Kili Trail
    Voodoo Bizango
    Canyon Gran Canyon Al 5.9

Does anybody have any options (:-?)

Has anyone got any of the above bike and what do you think ?

Thanks in advance
    Chris

z1ppy

It might or might not be be the font of all bike knowledge but sometimes get a reply is like getting bloody out a stone..
    I don’t own any of them but have opinions 😉

The canyon will simply be the best bang for your buck but is the steepest (XC like) frame of your list, so depends on your requirements (fast or fun).
    Kona’s have a rep for being amougst the worst value kit wise but I have always liked the frame geometry (more traily)
    Don’t know anything about the Kili.. geo inbetween the Canyon and Kona.
    The Voodoo has a very good reputaion, MBR’s bike of the year, a good rep from owners, cheap and cheerful without being stupid rubbish kit (a good bases to upgrade on).

You’ve a mix of short travel (100mm) XC bikes and long-ish travel 120/130mm more traily bike in your selection. I think deciding on what type of bike you want will help narrow your choices down.

Northwind

The Bizango is absurdly good, you could stick a more respected logo on it and sell it for a grand no bother, probably have it win £1000 bike tests too. Haven’t ridden the others though.

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

I have a Bizango but as a beginner cannot really offer much of an opinion other than I look forward to riding it come the weekends even if I do have horribly under powered, spindly legs that groan at the sight of an incline.

superdon
    Free Member

I have a new Bizango, but can’t ride it as I am recovering from an op!

Seems a quality piece of kit, compared to the other stuff I looked at, but I am also a beginner so don’t really know what I am looking for.

In case it sways the decision, you can get a brand new Bizango for around £430 using various discounts, which I thought was a bargain. Especially as all the good reviews are based on the £600 RRP.

z1ppy

What particular discount SD?
    I have a friend eyeing up the Bizango, obviously I know Halfords do there own 10% off quite regularly & you get 10% off with British Cycling membership.
    That’s not down to £430 though..

superdon
    Free Member

You can get another 10% off by buying Halfords vouchers in advance from their online voucher supplier. Oh and 3% cashback from quidco 🙂

superdon
    Free Member

Oh and I got them to chuck in some cheap lights for free as well

z1ppy

Cool, will look into it and pass over the info.
    Cheers

superdon
    Free Member

Here you go…

http://select.halfordsbusinessservices.co.uk/

Register as a user, then use ELGHAL13 or NRTSCHAL13 as discount codes in the basket to get the 10% off. RMSD included as well.

z1ppy

That brilliant many thanks, my google fu was failing badly…

Edit: That says employee discount scheme.. as much as I appreciate it, should you be making those code public? (get you into trouble)

tiffar
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. It is much appreciated.

I finally plumped for the Bizango as it is on offer at Halfords at the moment.

Went down the discount route and it was about £450 all in.

Here is how…

Halfords price £600 reduced to £560 on offer until Wednesday

Went through quidco so get 3% cashback = £16.80

Registered for British Cycling for £20 so get £56.00 (10%) off so net £36.00

Bought Halfords vouchers through a discount scheme (not the one from superdon which didn’t work) £500 for £450.

Sweet 🙂

Bagstard
    Free Member

I can only comment on the Bizango and I’m really impressed with mine. It is now running singlespeed with wide bars and short stem, love it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which 29er … Saracen or Canyou or Voodoo or Kona’ is closed to new replies.