Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Which 29er Pikes?
  • angeldust
    Free Member

About to blow £3K on a trail bike, and at the moment I’m looking at a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Evo 29 (£2500).

I’m thinking about using part of the extra £500 to ask the shop to upgrade the Revelation to a Pike at the point of purchase (based on all the positive feedback I’ve heard on the Pike). I’m not sure what is the best model to go for, RC, RCT3, Dual position, solo air? Any advice appreciated.

Does the dual position air offer a reduced travel function for climbs? Quite like that ability.

chiefgrooveguru

The Stumpjumper 29 is so low of BB that I don’t see the dual position ones being helpful uphill. RC are OEM only, don’t have the ‘pedal’ mode but otherwise identical I believe.

angeldust
    Free Member

Thanks. Does anyone have the dual position ones and find that function useful?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigh
    Free Member

RCT3 Solo air, everything else is just fluff to go wrong.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

RCT3 Solo Air +1!

peasant
    Free Member

Might be worth putting a bit aside for some decent brakes 😀

angeldust
    Free Member

Might be worth putting a bit aside for some decent brakes

Shimano are my brakes of choice, though I’ve not used deore before. Happy to give them a try until they need upgrading. They felt fine when I tested the bike.

trusty

I’ve done the same with mine, climbs fine with the rct3 solo air forks, and they’re the 150mm version. Mind you, I never used travel adjust on forks when they had them.

Peasant, I think this year’s has shimano as standard instead of the formulas. Much better!

z1ppy

Remember to account for the offset, no idea what you spesh is recommended to run, but lots of the cheap 29er pikes are the 46mm offset, most ppl want the 51’s

angeldust
    Free Member

Remember to account for the offset, no idea what you spesh is recommended to run, but lots of the cheap 29er pikes are the 46mm offset, most ppl want the 51’s

Thanks for the warning. Bikeshop were talking about RRP’s when we were discussing cost to change, so they shouldn’t be cheap Pikes. Can you explain the offset (assume it’s how far out the legs are shifted forward from headtube??).

rollodes
    Free Member

Deore are great brakes.

z1ppy

Can I explain about off-set? Nope, I not going to try, just go with 51 good, 46 bad but i can give you a link that been banded about on here, that should explain it properly:
    http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mechanic/ask-a-mechanic-29er-forks-46mm-or-51mm-offset/

Have to say, unless your getting a bloody great deal on the Stumpy, there’s no way on earth I’d be handing over rrp to a shop for new Pikes. I’d buy the bike, buy the some Pikes (or an similar alternative,eg: MRP Stage or X-Fusion Trace but either way 140mm Pikes with 51 offset, can be had for £500ish off euro sites but no-where near the £750ish rrp) at a more reasonable rate, fit them, flog the Rev’s. That said I don’t know the full discussion you’ve been having and may have gotten the wrong end of the stick.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

i’ve got 150mm dual position 51mm offset having moved form 46mm offset 140mm revs. I don’t use the dual position functionality as I thought I would. My bike (Transition Covert 29) does get light the front on steep climbs but i’ve adjusted to that so now don’t bother dropping the travel. So i’d just go for the solo air’s if I were you.

Definitely go for the 51mm offset. Feels much more lively and manoeuvrable than the 46mm. The only downside is the steering can be a bit more flip-floppy on steep climbs. What I mean by that is as you’re climbing and turning the bars the bars are trying to self-centre – however there comes a point as you put on more and more lock, say on a steep climbing switchback, where they flip from wanting to self centre to go full lock. Again, not a problem, something you easily get used to.

Other than that they are a great fork, much better than the Revs I came from (a basic model of the revs) – no real downsides, only upsides.

angeldust
    Free Member

Have to say, unless your getting a bloody great deal on the Stumpy, there’s no way on earth I’d be handing over rrp to a shop for new Pikes.

I’m buying the bike via my company bike to work scheme, so it’s a great deal overall. This is why I’m trying to max out the £3K limit, for max benefit. Wouldn’t consider the Pikes at RRP otherwise.

Oh, and before any sanctimonious jealous **** wants to stick their nose in, yes I will be using it to bike to work. 🙄

angeldust
    Free Member

Good advice, thanks wobbliscott.

trusty

Anyone know what offset the evo’s supposed to have?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Which 29er Pikes?’ is closed to new replies.