Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Which 29+ Forks?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve got a Krampus 29+ wheel which I’m planning on fitting to the El Mariachi but I’m not sure which forks to use.

The wheel fits in the Niner carbon forks but there’s very little clearance. Has anyone tried running 29+ with a set of Salsa Cro-Moto forks?

nedrapier

In the absence of any other answers so far, I measured 3 and 5/8″ of fresh air between the legs of my 425mm cromoto. So if the longer ones are the same, you’re looking at a bit more than 1/4″ clearance either side.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

That sounds like slightly more clearance than the Niners but I think I’d still like a little more.

I’m tempted by the carbon Travers forks but they don’t seem to have any stock at the moment. Come to think of it, I’m tempted by the Travers 29+ frame to go with the forks 😀

tazzymtb

Torus ti 29ers fit 29+ with loads of space. My black sheep unicrowns have even more space. Cro motos are tight with a p35 rim so with a Rabbit hole could be a no go. On the whole you will find that five piece forks are a better fit than steel unicrowns. I have got some fat steel forks that would look trick but you’d need a 135 front hub

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Slight hijack, I fancy trying a 29+ front wheel and have a jones unicrown I could use but it’s not light, would a knard on a rabbit hole or p35 fit in an on one carbon 26″ fork – the old type.

takisawa2

I’m sure bikemonger Charlie posted a pic of a RH/Knard in a Niner steel fork showing decent clearance. Having owned both the Niner & the Swift steel forks, they are all but identical but for the disc mount, so the Swift fork should work too. In fact, I think Sam started a thread on the subject.

hugor
    Free Member

Swale Ti

470mm of titanium goodness.

http://www.murucycles.com/#!swale-ti/c1i6p

john_l
    Free Member

Karate Monkey fork should work too.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I can vouchsafe the Karate Monkey fork. It still has plenty of room on the older canti-braked versions. Ogre forks would be good too. I’d imagine Cromoto’s would be good too.

Also, Singular Cycles are supposed to be making their forks specfically suitable for 29+

takisawa2

I need to get off my rse & get some P35’s & a Knard on order… 😕

Rorschach
    Free Member

At £150 the On One carbon fatties will do for me (if the buggers ever become available).Velocity P35 or Dually though?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Wonder if one will fit in a stock genesis fortitude fork? There’s bags of clearance with a 2.35″ (measures 60mm wide) Bonty front tyre

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

At £150 the On One carbon fatties will do for me (if the buggers ever become available).Velocity P35 or Dually though?

The P/Blunt 35 works well enough, but I do have the feeling it is still a bit of a compromise, if your budget can stretch to a Rabbit Hole, do it.
    I’m not sure how much the 29″ Dually will be, haven’t seen them here yet, that’s why I’m using the P35.
    It does work well, it’s just that your’e a bit more limited with your pressure range as the section profile has more bulbosity than with a wider rim.

tazzymtb

Tubeless on a p35 with a 120tpi knard is happy at 9psi without being a foul burpy squirmy mess.

Rorschach
    Free Member

JRA can get (3 weeks) duallys for £105 (£125 polished).Good bit cheaper than Rabbit Holes.

singlespeedstu

I’d go for the rabbit hole if i were you. 8)

It’s what the Knard was designed for and even makes a 2.4 Arden f’ing huuge.

ratadog

Couldn’t bring myself to stump up the cost of the dually or the rabbit hole so building up a Kris Holm Freeride rim instead. We’ll se how it goies but it should be up to my weight.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Which 29+ Forks?’ is closed to new replies.