Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which 26" forks can I buy and bodge?
  • sharkattack

I need a 100mm fork for the dirt jump frame that I just impulse ordered. Surprisingly they’re pretty thin on the ground unless I buy something ten years old.

I know most forks are internally adjustable but I’m not sure which ones or by how much. Travel seems to range from 130-160 these days so how much can I shorten them?

26″ fork prices have crashed in the classifieds. I can pick up a Pike or Revelation or maybe a Fox 32/34 for a couple hundred quid. As long as it’s adjustable down to 100mm and has a 15 or 20mm axle I’ll consider it.

The only new fork that seems suitable is an X-Fusion Slant which I’ll consider if it saves me a lot of faff. The Pike DJ is way out of my price range.

sharkattack

This thread got trampled on a busy Friday night!

Bump for the Saturday squad.

jler1985

Rockshox argyle?

VanHalen

Surely any air sprung forks you can lob a load of spacers in the top out bit and shorten travel?

Have done this before

chakaping
    Free Member

Buy something 10 years old then. The old Pike U-turn went down to 110mm, if that’s close enough.

itlab
    Free Member

Id second the argyle suggestion

Crc have them in 1,1/8, 20mm, 26inch with 100mm of travel £299 which sounds like it meets your requirements perfectly

jimw
    Free Member

Do you need a straight steerer?

You can buy new x-fusion streats which can be adjusted to 100mm with a 1 1/8″ steerer if second hand doesn’t work out

zero-cool
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Mars Dirt Jumper 1s, the top end ones, not the rubbish OEM ones.
    Lowers have rub marks from bike racks but in good condition with 1/18 steerer. I had then on an old Kona Howler that I built up for XC duties a few years ago if you want them? £50 plus postage. The steerer is still quite long as the Kona had a really tall Head tube.

Tom KP

sharkattack

Sorry I should have said I’d prefer an air fork. Most coil sprung dirt jump forks are right porkers.

I can get a brand new X-Fusion Slant for not much more than CRC’s Argyle.

I’ve got a set of Mars Dirt Jumper 1s, the top end ones, not the rubbish OEM ones.

I’ll keep that in mind, thanks.

Currently, I’ve got mates with a Fox 34 Float and a Revelation Solo Air. Excellent condition but going for scrap value due to wheel size. No one knows if I can reduce them to 100mm so if someone can answer that question it would be very handy.

Cheers

VanHalen

Add spacers below the top out bump stop on any air fork. Old elastomer springs work a treat and can be cut to length.

It’s a bodge but you wanted a bodge.

It also works with spring forks but you lose the plush bit of the spring travel when you squish the spring back in. Unless you have a shorter spring kicking about.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

RS Reba if you’re only going steady.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Rebas seem to be infinitely rebuildable- probably the same with other Rock Shox.

sharkattack

Add spacers below the top out bump stop on any air fork. Old elastomer springs work a treat and can be cut to length.

I thought this was the case but I wasn’t sure that if the minimum travel on a certain fork would stop you from dropping it further for some reason. I thought the stanchion length or something would have a minimum height that corresponds to the shortest travel like 130/140 or whatever it is. I thought I might have to get the pipe cutter out.

RS Reba if you’re only going steady.

That’s actually a good shout. Didn’t realise how decent the new versions are. Available in exactly the dimensions I need for a reasonable price.

And yeah, going steady will be the name of the game I reckon! For a while at least.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which 26" forks can I buy and bodge?’ is closed to new replies.