Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Which 2010 FS for the Peaks?
  • navier_stokes
    Free Member

I've been out of (road) cycling for a while and moutain biking even longer, but looking to get back into it as I'm moving close to the peak district soon. I've come up with a shortlist of these 2010 bikes I'm going to try and test ride; all around £2k but may be able to push up to £2.5k if the better specced models are really worth it.

Specialized Stumpjumper Elite
    Trek Fuel EX 8
    La Pierre Zesty 314
    Orange 5 S

Coming from a mainly road background I want it to be very good up the hills, but I want to be equally good descending on typical peaks terrain; something I can ride all day and won't fatigue me. What are the pros and cons of each of the above as you see it? Which is better specced? What would you recommend?

At the moment I'm leaning towards the stumpy or Trek because they seem to be better set up as all round climbers/descenders. The Zesty looks awesome but surely that much travel at the rear can't be good for climbing? And the Orange, well it's British and should leave me with a bit of change over the others to upgrade (unless I went with the pro).

Any advice helping me narrow these choices down would be great; I notice the stumpy an trek have custom shocks – what are the advantages of these?

Also to add, I went to see the new Stumpy at a spesh concept store yesterday, and it definitely looks better in the "flesh" – seems the best compromise as it has longer travel compared to the Trek but it has adjustable forks, and in the case of the expert, the brain. Seriously tempted by the carbon expert; has anyone riden one?

It's going to be an expensive month I feel!

Cheers!

njee20
    Free Member

Ride all of them, see which you like, there's not a bad bike in your list.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I'd say go for the Pro if you get the Five, you won't regret the Fox fork and Hope based wheelset and brakes. Or if you go for an S, at least take the Float.

Test riding is important though…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Which 2010 FS for the Peaks?’ is closed to new replies.