Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Which £1k cross bike?
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I think you can stack discounts at Halfords, looking into it myself and it appears you can order it with the discounts and then just pay with the voucher when it arrives.

Sounds promising then.

RichieBoy
    Free Member

mm that cannondale is nice, right size and I could pick up from York. But I’d want to change to hydro discs so would end up similar price to the boardman.

Do you take cycle to work vouchers?

Could take the shifters and brakes off and charge you less? 😀
    I can use them on another bike anyway…..

Gary_M
    Free Member

Cheers, but I’d then need to spend around £400 on shifters & calipers 🙂 That wouldn’t make sense for either of us.

iainc

Gary – I tried to buy new Thule carriers form Halfords last sale. Ordered online with 10% discount for pickup at local store. Went to pay and collect and they wouldn’t give me BC discount on top…..

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s unusual Iain, I’ve bought loads from halfords on their 10% discount days and always had the BC discount applied. Wonder if they’ve tightened up on that.

Gary_M
    Free Member

So price of the boardman cx team has been reduced by £200 this week, 10% bcdiscount brings it down to £720, I can buy Halfords vouchers through my employee benefits scheme with 11.5% discount, then 3% cashback through quidco brought the cost down to £613.20. As it’s ‘end of line’ I also got £75 to spend on ‘accessories’.

Would have been rude not to. 🙂

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

That Boardman is a serious tempter currently, good job!

What tyre clearance do you think it has for slicks?

parkesie
    Free Member

I’m running 700 x 35 landcruisers with full guards. Plenty of clearance.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

What pallpark gaps have you got to the fork blades and crown with those 35c Landcruisers on?

If at least 38c tyres fit, I am seriously tempted to pop to Halfords and beg them to let me have a test ride using my Marathon Cross tyres, to see what my lower back makes of the geometry.

mos

I would bet my left nut that P-X will be doing the carbon XLS with apex for a grand again soon. They were even doing them for £800 as a self build option round Christmas.

parkesie
    Free Member

About 1cm clear over the top half each side id imagine 40 wwould fit aswell.

TiRed

I have a Boardman CX pro. One of the originals with canti brakes. It’s built up as a proper road bike with an old Ultegra groupset. It’s a fantastic bike. Not light, but a great all rounder. Boardman didn’t do cross so the geometry is classic road bike. And it handles like one. So I’ve taken mine racing. Road racing not mud. Just for fun. It’s running Schwalbe G-One Speed tubeless 32c with mudguards (soon to be carbon) and could take much wider.

Aside from the three and a half kilos of weight it’s carrying, it’s every bit as capable as my much more expensive Defy SL. Buy with confidence.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Went to look at the CX Team on Friday and try to get a test ride, best they could offer me was to pop in next week to do a turbo trainer session, they are apparently only insured to let e-bikes be test ridden away from stores these days (some old bloke died during a test ride a year or so back, don’t know exact circumstances).

The tyre clearance looks very tight at the rear to go beyond 35s, 38 slicks might just about happen, given how the Rocket Rons have some knobbly tread. At the front, 38s look a muc better possibility, with the 35 RRs having ~1cm sideways clearance and ~1.5cm clearance to the fork crown.

Gary M, you did well to get £75 of free accessories, as the CX Team isn’t supposed to qualify for that from what I saw online and in-store! Did they let you use it to buy something that cost more than £75 if you wanted, such as a Tacx 2240 smart turbo trainer, or did accessories have to cost less than £75?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Gary M, you did well to get £75 of free accessories, as the CX Team isn’t supposed to qualify for that from what I saw online and in-store! Did they let you use it to buy something that cost more than £75 if you wanted, such as a Tacx 2240 smart turbo trainer, or did accessories have to cost less than £75?

Mate in work ordered one the other day and he asked in the store he’s doing click and collect from if the £75 offer applied. He was told ‘yes, I suppose so as it’s an end of line bike’. I applied the same logic in the store I’m picking mine up from and got pretty much the same response 🙂 I’m picking it up tomorrow so we’ll see how it goes. The £75 isn’t a deal breaker so not bothered if I get it or not.

Had a look at boardman site and it shows the medium as out of stock, but available on the halfords site which is a bit odd. So glad I bought when I did.

I’m not concerned about tight tyre clearances, it’ll be used on forest tracks, man made singletrack and country lanes so nothing majorly muddy

erichitchmo
    Free Member

I’m wondering what type of riding people generally do with the Boardman CX Team 2016?

By stacking the discounts right now (Store discount to £800, BC membership 10% off, vouchers 8% off, Top cashback 3.15% off) I think that the CX Team is available for around £640.

How does the CX Team compare as a do-it-all bike for commuting/off-road/touring to bikes like Genesis Croix De Fer or Jamis Renegade Expat, for which I currently can’t get a deal so they are £900 or £1k without hydraulic disc brakes. How does the Boardman CX Team’s lack of steel frame, different geometry etc make it compare to them for touring?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Are the current CX Team wheels really ~2400g?

Makes the £162 Cosine Disc set a nice weight reduction! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-23mm-alloy-clincher-disc-brake-road-wheelset/

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just back from my turbo test ride…

The 55.5cm fitted me great, back felt fine. But having ridden Shimano STIs on my road bikes over the last ~20 years, I found the SRAM “double shift” lever very alien and unpredictable, I came away thinking I wouldn’t be able to get to the base of a hill and get in the gear I wanted. It almost seemed random whether I shifted up one or two gears at a time, while doing a triple change was reliable.

Hedge End staff were very helpful in accommodating my test, especially the lad who had fun fitting a folding turbo tyre to the 19mm rims and then getting the Tacx turbo clamp to hold the rear wheel in place!

Really not sure, going to have a ponder, especially given 38c tyres look a non-starter.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Are the current CX Team wheels really ~2400g?

No idea but I’ll be upgrading them at some point anyway. Rode it to work this morning and it was a pretty enjoyable experience. Feels really solid and planted. Love the lack of front mech, gives a really quiet, smooth ride.

I have double tap on my ‘best’ road bike so using it isn’t an issue for me.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Which £1k cross bike?’ is closed to new replies.