Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • which 160mm forks for….
  • passtherizla
    Free Member

…My new rocket.

Its got the FOX CTD shock on it, should I match it to the fox 34 160, 36 160, or Lyrik RC2DH I’d rather get the Lyrik RC2DH cos its £150 cheaper… Will any of those feel much the same? servicing costs seem to be about the same.

Can anyone confirm if a Marz 55 evo Ti can be lowered to 160?

Thanks.

oregon29
    Free Member

I can’t speak for the other forks but I got a 34 160 CTD recently and love it. Had a 32 150 rlc before which was way too flexy and for me the 34 is the perfect balance of weight and stiffness.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Was going to use a float 150 RL but I manages to sell that so am coming from a similar place to you and the sub 2kg Is appealing.

Northwind

The 160mm 34 is about 8mm shorter than the 160mm Lyrik/36, if that bothers you.

Personally, I’d be going coil lyrik RC2DH. Weight penalty is 100% worth it for me. But you could build a Rocket up in a few different ways. But I’d also be investigating the 55.

ruscle
    Free Member

BOS Deville

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Having used Lyriks, Deville’s & 36’s they are all much of a muchness. All feel slightly different, but no better or worse.

I prefer a fork with a 20mm axle, for ease of swapping between our bikes. I can cope with the extra 100g of the 36 over the 34 as well 🙂

55’s can’t be lowered.

Northwind

Hob Nob – Member

55’s can’t be lowered.

On the one hand, 😥 . On the other, it removes the temptation to replace my Lyriks.

oregon29
    Free Member

I can cope with the extra 100g of the 36 over the 34 as well

No to be pedantic but 190g difference Float 34 160 to 36 160 nearly half a pound. Some can justify and id love to have an extra 36 180 van for mini dh…

passtherizla
    Free Member

Ok so that discounts the marz then…

Most probably the lyriks, are people still thinking the coil is the way to go? There seem to be 3 options, dual air, solo air or coil.

mafiafish
    Free Member

I have solo air rc2dh lyriks and they’re pretty good, but I think 34s would be your best bet if you’ve the dolla. Having used 36s and coil x fusions I would say they’re all much of a muchness too.

Northwind

passtherizla – Member

Most probably the lyriks, are people still thinking the coil is the way to go? There seem to be 3 options, dual air, solo air or coil.

The lyrik air spring is actually very good, and surprisingly coiley- I guess because it’s so big? So it’ll depend what you really want from the bike.

I say coil, because my Lyriks really are like little Boxxers, and they’re fitted to what is much like a little downhill bike. But air is a perfectly good option and not everyone wants a little Boxxer.

passtherizla
    Free Member

the bike will be built 1×10, pro2 evo on 521’s, reverb, zee drivetrain, gonna use my formula RX brakes for now… it will not be my only bike, but will get ridden round trail centres, and am planning on doing a few uplifts… I have spare 2×10 drivetrain for Scotland 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Be daft to discount the X Fusion forks out of hand I think. Well priced, good quality (I was informed that they’re made in the same factory as Fox). Never ridden any but Skyline cycles seem to like them. Certainly worth a look.

chakaping
    Free Member

Another option, if you can live with a 15mm axle…
    X Fusion slant

And a bit of a wildcard…
    Suntour Durolux

I’ve not ridden either of course!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with the Lyrik coil. ~2.5kg is going to be a heavy fork, when you arn’t going down (most of the time).

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheap BOS on SportPursuit at the moment…

_tom_
    Free Member

My ’09 55 RC3s that are for sale 😛

roverpig

Can I just ask, why 160mm? I thought the Rocket was designed to work best with 150mm forks.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Because with 160’s its exactly what I’m looking for… its designed for use with 140, 150 or 160 forks. It may well work best with 150’s but I want a very mini DH bike that I can also pedal I suppose. Also I have a history of battering forks with 32mm uppers.

passtherizla
    Free Member

So I’ve been doing some soul searching..

If I was prepared to take the weight penalty of the Marzocchi it seemed sensible to look at the comparable coil forks from the other guys…

Rockshox lyrik coil is a little lighter than the marz, so thought that was the best option, I decided to have a look to see if i could buy one form any where… can I heck. Will email loco.

anyone know what the fox van 160 rc2 fit is like?

mojo5pro
    Free Member

The Marzocchi 55’s RC3 Ti’s are 160 mm 2010 and 2011. Great fork.

joelm76
    Free Member

lyrik coils are great, I’ve broken two sets of revelations now through normal trail riding (and arguably poor servicing on one set…) on a blur lt, nothing beats the reliability and feel of coil. Marzocchi 55’s seem good too. Bos are probably better, but way too much money. Reading your requirements carefully I reckon lyrik coils or 55’s.

passtherizla
    Free Member

the older 55’s are pretty hard to find new.. I have looked.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Are the Lyrik coils uturn? I don’t think the standard coils can be internally adjusted from 170mm. Plus there is always the problem with getting the right weight spring.

My DPA Lyriks feel much smoother than my coil Pikes.

Why not have Tom’s 55s off him for £300? Bit heavier than lyriks mind but they are supposed to be great forks.

passtherizla
    Free Member

the 2013 coils can be adjusted..

I would prefer something a bit newer than an 09 fork.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Been having a good look and from a availability stand I’ll probably have to go for the RC2DH solo air, I’ve had a play briefly with a similar fork and it felt nice enough, certainly nicer and stiffer than the 32 float I was comparing it to… excellent price too, can pick some up for less than £700 brand new 2013 model from several places.

passtherizla
    Free Member

why no dual position or coil anywere online? 2013 forks not shipped yet?

passtherizla
    Free Member

pretty much decided on some fox 36 160 rc2 fit… anyone got an idea as to where has them for the best price. The best price I have found didn’t come from a google search result…?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

After having a ride on some BOS Deville I’d definitely say get some. They were amazing- great small bump sensitivity but lots of support when you want to pump berms and rollers.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I had considered them but servicing and what not, has put me off. I’d prefer something I know I can get fixed in case I knacker them… so It seems it may well be worth starting a new thread for the question I asked just above your post.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

They’ve just got a new distributor in the UK in the form of Surf Sales so that point is no longer valid. 😉

samuelf
    Free Member

BOS

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I’ve got BOS on my Rocket, I like it.

Northwind

BOS distribution is still a concern, brand new distributor and no idea what their support will be like. Though Surf Sales are a good company that doesn’t guarantee they’ll have evertything in place.

mildred

Bos Deville. I took a risk and bought my second set from Germany – glad I did; I know its fairly subjective but in my opinion they perform so much better than the other forks I’ve tried. The only other fork I liked were the RC3ti Marzocchi – hardly anything to choose between them and the BOS when caning it, but I just preferred the more supportive feel of the BOS at normal trail speeds.

I’ve had 2 sets of BOS now and had no problems whatsoever so the warranty issue hasn’t come into it. With regard service Jtech will tackle them, Surf Sales look a good option once trained up, mad Elk in Ireland do them, and if all else fails I can get them to France.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Coil RC2DH was discontinued. You can only get the Lyrik U-turn coil which is 160mm

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They’ve just got a new distributor in the UK in the form of Surf Sales so that point is no longer valid.

Until the next time, and the next time, etc.

Even when they had a distributor if you had a problem, there was a large element of luck if they had the bits in to fix, or you were in for a long wait.

Apart from they arn’t an better than the other top end options.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

If you’re going with the CTD shock I’d plump for the 34 CTD forks as well. Really nice combo

passtherizla
    Free Member

looking at the BOS stuff, it describes itself as Opened bath, I thought the other guys had gone away from this system in favor of isolated technologies? to stop the air and oil mixing… Also I can find a fox 36 160 rc2 fit for £100 less than the BOS.

I’m not quite sure about the FOX 34 CTD, only thing gong for it as I can see if that its £10 cheaper that the 36, I’m sure the 36 is a nicer feeling fork.

zelak999
    Free Member

Fox 36’s are awesome IMO!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘which 160mm forks for….’ is closed to new replies.