Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Which 1.5 steerer long travel fork
  • toys19
    Free Member

Looking for a 1.5 steerer long travel burly fork. I already have van 36 (1 1/8th) on another bike and love them. I am really a coil person, and would buy the van 36 rst 1.5 in flash, but I'm trying to reduce the budget for this bike.

I've seen these Rock Shox Domain 302 1.5" Forks 2009 for £195.00 . It has the same damping near enough as this Rock Shox Lyrik U-Turn 1.5" Forks 2010 for £625.00. They are both 35mm, apart from dual flow, U turn and adjustment – dunno what dual flow is and don't care about u turn travel reduction or lots off adjustment.

The van 36 r's I love only have preload and rebound and they are sh*t hot, any reason why these domains won't be?

Or should I go air and get these babies Rock Shox Lyrik 2-Step Air 1.5" Forks 2009 for £425 which isn't too much to stretch too, but every air fork I have ever had is stiction central. Ok havent had once since 2004, maybe they are better now?

Or recommend me something else and I'll be your friend forever?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

If the Lyrics 2-step systems is the same as the Totems then i would be wary as many people had problems.

toys19
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up. Like I said I dont really like air, I guess I'm half expecting someone to tell me that air forks have come along way and my previous experience doesnt count any more.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ianpv
    Free Member

The damping in Domain 302 is nothing like Lyrik damping – it isn't even motion control. The Domain 318 has motion control (similar to a pike but with a mod for the long travel). All Lyriks, apart from some OE ones have mission control (adjustable Hi and lo speed compression), and it is much better when it is working well.

I'd get the 2009 2-steps and drop a U-turn assembly in the left leg if you try and don't like the air spring. Bargain. Or for a real budget option get a 1.5" manitou sherman breakout on ebay for buttons – they are a pretty decent fork if you can look past brand snobbery – certainly better than a domain 302 IMO

FuzzyWuzzy

I read a few places 302's easily got out of their depth and you're a lot better off with either 318's or Totems (I went with 09 Totems…)

toys19
    Free Member

Hmm just seen these Rock Shox Domain 318 IS 1.5" Forks 2010 for 275

Might be a better bet. Has motion control and IS. Heavy..

ianpv
    Free Member

…they've got some 1.5" 2009 66 RC3s at chainreaction for £500, too

chakaping
    Free Member

The Domain 318 is a pretty good fork, but I got one of the 1.5 Totem coils that Merlin are selling.

Cost me £400, but they could be had for £360 with a discount recently.

About the same weight as the Domain and way stiffer and better damping apparently.

Or if you want a 160mm fork just keep an eye out for cheapy Lyriks – they often seem to come up in 1.5 for about £400.

alpin
    Free Member

i've got a 08 2-step Lyrik. had to send it back when the 2-step stopped stepping, but the newer version has been sorted. Fischer were very quick and the fork has been fine since.

the 2-step function is brilliant and you'll use it more than you think as it is so easy to use.

the fork does suffer a little more stiction than the coil version (mate has coil Lyrik on his 456, i have an Alpine so pratically same set-up) but this is only noticeable when in your garage/bike shop. out on the trails the difference…. well it isn't worth worrying about.

as said above, you can always chuck the 2-step system and drop the coil gubbins in there. another mate done this as 1.5 steerer wasn't available with coil at the time.

toys19
    Free Member

People there seems to be lots of knowledge here thanks. Where can you get the coil gubbins from- how much?

Kuco

My 66 rc3 went kaput after 2 days riding in the Alps though Chainreaction warranted them with out question. And i don't know wether it's just mine but my Chris King 1.5 headset creaks something rotten with my 66's. If I went for a fork now it be either a Totem or Domain.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Totem Coil's are amazing and I'd ride them over VAN 36 or Lyrik…you can pick 08 or 09's at a good price as well.

coogan
    Free Member

Totem Coils are awesome. If they come with the new seals, they are fantastic.

alpin
    Free Member

you can get hold of the inside gubbins by speaking to your LBS if they are a RockShox/Sram dealer. they might even fit them for you.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Which 1.5 steerer long travel fork’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts