Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Which 140mm fork?
  • saxabar
    Free Member

All going well I should have an Evil Sovereign frame coming my way. Any suggestions on the best fork to go with this? I’m gunning for 140mm, but after that I’m not sure.

(If anyone has a 140mm fork in top condition and wants to swap for a 2008 Fox 36Van RC2 email is in profile!)

br
    Free Member

I run a Thor 140 on my 456Ti, works well – also buddies run the Sektor’s

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I put a 2011 Solo air Sektor on my Sov.

I did not like it at 150mm because the BB felt really high. I sagged it to 110mm to lower the BB but lowering the spring-rate needed lots of compression damping to prevent diving. But it became quite unresponsive, and still extended when climbing steep trails.

I got the travel altered to 130mm with spacers, sagged to 110 now has a higher spring-rate and doesn’t dive. Now it needs only a little compression damping and it feels much more responsive.

YMMV!

whatgoesup

I’ve got a 2009 Revaltion 426 (110-140mm u-turn, remote pushloc, 9mmQR) that I’ll be selling soon if it’s of any interest? (moving over to clown wheels)

chestrockwell

I’m running some 140mm DT Swiss XMM’s and think they’re great. Well worth a look.

bigblackshed

I’ve got 140mm Fox Float RLC on my Blue Pig. Great fork but needs a lot of servicing. Mates have some RS Revs on similar bikes. Less Ferrari, more Mondeo, but they work just fine and go on and on.

saxabar
    Free Member

Some options I hadn’t thought of here. Any more ideas, particularly from those who ride chunky steel hardtails? I have a Domain on my Stiffee which the Sovereign will be replacing, but I’m guessing that’s going to excessively tip the scales on the weightier Sov?

@markwsf – I’m afraid the 9mm QR won’t work with my wheels.

@buzz-lightyear – so are you happy with the fork travel length now? Is 140mm too much in your view?

@BBS – I have an older Float 36 on my Alpine160 with a newer cart. Love it.

Stevelol
    Free Member

This wasn’t my Sovereign was it? 😀

I ran a Lyrik air 160 for a while, that was fun for bombing the downhills but turned it into a bit of a barge.

More recently I have run an RLT Ti Rev at 140… this transformed the bike and made it into (imo) the all around trail slayer it was, still stable on the downhills with decently wide bars (I was down at 740 in the end with a 65mm stem, any shorter and it got twitchy at speed through rough stuff), but still felt very stable jumping and cornering.

I would say that if you’re going to be riding anything chunky off road then go for a 20mm through axle if you can, the 32 stanchions do flex noticeably so you need to preserve as much rigidity as you can, the new wave of 34mm forks would be perfect (X-Fusion Slant, BOS Deville etc).

They’re amazing frames and when I’m a bit more solvent to have 2 bikes I’ll be buying another one or something similar.

hertz32
    Free Member

Pike. U-turn 95-140 air or coil, Alu or cromoly steerer, hollow or solid crown. about £150-£200

saxabar
    Free Member

Hi Steve – yes, it was. I’m now waiting to hear on another!

Stevelol
    Free Member

God speed 😀 I hope you get one.

Limy
    Free Member

Have a look at the new SR Suntour Epicon suspension forks. 140mm and can also get travel adjust option so they are 140mm-100mm. SR Suntour are producing some high quality after market forks that are a fraction of the cost of some of the equivalent forks from other brands.

chiefgrooveguru

Can you step down the Van with a shorter spring? Nice and stiff!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Which 140mm fork?’ is closed to new replies.