Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Wheres this?
  • blisterman1962
    Free Member

Morning all.

I enjoy and am annoyed in equal measure by Windows 10 Screensaver photos. They dont tell you where they are taken.

Can anybody identify this for me, please?

Rockape63
    Free Member

It would be something if someone on this Forum had stood on that spot….in the event they haven’t, I would guess at somewhere like Yellowstone National Park.
    volcanic rock

hammyuk
    Free Member

Huangshen

nickjb
    Free Member

Reminds me of the Blue mountains, but I’m pretty sure it isn’t

willard

Slough

sandwicheater

^ was thinking the same as nickjb but don’t re-call being able to climb to the top of the cliffs. Five sisters or some thing.

martinhutch
    AlexSimon

It must be right on the border – the pin on google maps puts it inside the Czech Republic as martinhutch says.

martinhutch

I’m willing to share the points…

RoterStern
    Free Member

No it’s in Germany right near the border in Rathen on the river Elbe in Der Nationalpark Sächsische Schweiz (or Saxonny Switzerland). I was there the Whitsun weekend biking. Lovely party of the world. Clicky for panorama pic

allthegear
    Free Member

It’s not bad but it’s no Brimham Rocks, is it??

Rachel

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It’s photoshopped to within an inch of its life so it could be anywhere really, including Slough.

willard

Taken from a slightly different angle and before the photoshopping…

allthegear
    Free Member

What are they doing in there that needs three dishes??

ads678

I could have sworn that was out the back of Nationwide, Swindon…..

DezB
    Free Member

This place? Online pano tour thingy:
    http://fotopano.pl/tours/bastei/

can’t see the rucksack, just lots of German tourists wobbling about the place 🙂

AlexSimon

It all looks a bit too touristy for me now – I bet there’s no chance of a cheeky bivvi

jekkyl

aren’t the windows 10 opening screens generally all fantastic.
    Here’s a big dump of some: http://imgur.com/a/3OqBs

Cougar

You can get at them on your own PC, they’re in an Assets folder buried somewhere in the system.

Which reminds me. Spotlight seems to have packed in on my machine, I’ve had the same lock screen picture for ages now. I really must take a look at that.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you have a Windows phone you can have Bing picture of the day on your lock screen. They publish where they are and who took them.

Try this:

http://www.bing.com/gallery/

Even if that pic isn’t on there it’s full of stunners. One of the things that endears me to Microsoft.

andytherocketeer

I bet there’s no chance of a cheeky bivvi

thought that was illegal in Germany if not a designated camping spot.
    anyway, there are bears and wolves and ticks with nasty things

Not been to that bit of Germany for years. My photos of Königstein, Lilienstein etc. don’t look anything like that.

ElShalimo

Rotor Stern is correct – it is the Elbe sandstone crags next to The Bastei in Swiss-Saxony area of eastern Germany (just over the border from Czech).

It’s an amazing place to visit. (When I went in June 2004 not many people spoke English but everyone spoke Russian!!).

allthegear
    Free Member

Don’t think much to the picture they have on there right now, Molgrips…

Esme
    Free Member

Nearer home, it reminds me of Hawkstone Park Follies in Shropshire.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Don’t think much to the picture they have on there right now, Molgrips…

Molgrip’s link works fine for me (Chrome/Safari).

squirrelking
    Free Member

Been through there on the train from Prague, lovely place and always said I’d go back one day.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Ah! spent many a drunken night in those caves in my yoof 😳

phiiiiil

Google’s Chromecast does a similar thing with pictures of nice places; we quite often watch something for half an hour, then sit there looking at pictures for much longer!

lovewookie

def Elbe sandstone park, amazing place, went there on a day trip while having a day off from WGT in Leipzig.

You gather height pretty quickly and are well above the trees. Most of it is in woodland, but the main visitor centre is just before the ‘pins’ and you have to kida fight your way past folk on a very narrow walkway out to the tips.

🙂

ElShalimo

For those of you with iPlayer archive ninja skills, Julia Bradbury’s German Wanderlust visited the area

franki
    Free Member

I was thinking that too!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Wheres this?’ is closed to new replies.