Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Where's the snow then Met Office?
  • andy8442
    Free Member

Do you remember a few months ago the Met office forecasting snow from October onwards? Well? Where is it then? My car is “ready for winter”. My bike is ready for winter (firmly mounted to turbo trainer). I am ready for winter (replaced shorts for thermals in cupboard). So…..come on then…..SNOW!

How long would you last a work if you were 40% accurate? Not long I bet.

Ok, so they got the recent storm right, but still……I want some snow. And I work outdoors,and its miserable,and I have go on the turbo trainer,and…….nuff said.

Jamie
    Free Member

There, there.

matt_outandabout

Go for a wander on the Scottish hills this weekend then….

bland

the Norwegian fishing forecast suggests its going to drop to minus 5 ish if that helps

martinhutch

I was cycling in it in the Lakes on Sunday.

kimbers

glentress last weekend

from a mates facebook

Spin
    Free Member

Do you remember a few months ago the Met office forecasting snow from October onwards

No they weren’t. That forecast was nowt to do with them to the extent that they released a statement rebutting it. It was some discredited meteorologist that the Express were happy to quote for a scaremongering headline.

scotroutes

2 days ago…

P1000728 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

P1000732 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Spin
    Free Member
    johnikgriff
    Free Member

I bought a couple of new sledges for the kids last week. Sure fire guaranty there will now be no snow this year. 🙂

andy8442
    Free Member

[quoteI bought a couple of new sledges for the kids last week. Sure fire guaranty there will now be no snow this year.

Damn you!

molgrips
    Free Member

Do you remember a few months ago the Met office forecasting snow from October onwards?

No, I don’t. Cos they didn’t.

I pity the Met Office. They do some brilliant science and try really hard to give us good information, but there is so much ridiculous hysterial bollocks floating around that ends up being attributed to them that people end up thinking they are rubbish, when in fact they are amazing.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Snow? Not even had a frost yet.

kimbers

had ice on the windscreen at the weekend, In london!

glenh
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Do you remember a few months ago the Met office forecasting snow from October onwards?
    No, I don’t. Cos they didn’t.

I pity the Met Office. They do some brilliant science and try really hard to give us good information, but there is so much ridiculous hysterial bollocks floating around that ends up being attributed to them that people end up thinking they are rubbish, when in fact they are amazing.

+1
    The met office made no such forecast.

Spin
    Free Member

The met office made no such forecast.

See my link above.

woody21
    Free Member

The Norwegian Weather Service give a long range forecast

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/England/Bakewell~2656617/long.html

They have been quite accurate in the past

molgrips
    Free Member

So, yr.no have predicted snow for Bakewell on the 19th. I’ve copied and pasted that image, so we’ll see how well they do.

scotroutes

Yep – a whole 0.7mm of it….

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, and it won’t stick. But we’ll see if/when it snows or is cold in the Peaks.

RustyNissanPrairie

Guaranteed to snow heavy this year – only because I’ve SORNed by Defender and am using my RWD Transit instead.

Northwind

Mates swear by yr.no, I don’t think I’ve ever used it and have it be less than incredibly wrong though. (like, predicting howling wind and heavy rain in the middle of a week long heatwave)

woody21
    Free Member

Molgrips – personally I stick with the red sky in a morning type forecast

woody21
    Free Member

Molgrips – personally I stick with the red sky in a morning type forecast

trout
    Free Member

No snow for west yorkshire this winter guaranteed

reason why I want some to ride the Fatty in

mactheknife

Northwind – Member
    Mates swear by yr.no, I don’t think I’ve ever used it and have it be less than incredibly wrong though. (like, predicting howling wind and heavy rain in the middle of a week long heatwave)

POSTED 9 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

yr.no is a cracking site BUT only for a couple of days ahead. Their long term forecast is just a work of fiction.

Definitely one of the best / most accurate around.

miketually
    Free Member

There was snow on the tops in Swaledale and at the top end of Teesdale in the last week, and we had localised hail in Darlington at the weekend. My sister tells me they’ve opened the lifts on Caingorm early this year, too.

miketually
    Free Member

yr.no is a cracking site BUT only for a couple of days ahead. Their long term forecast is just a work of fiction.

I’m liking forcast.io for very short-term rain forcasting at the moment. It’s great for seeing if there’s a 10 minute break in weather coming, for a dry dash to/from work.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

I can virtually guarantee no snow in York this year. Just bought my first snow shovel, and windscreen covers.
    Thank you Aldi, for your wonderful special offers.

jimster
    Free Member

There will also be no snow in Malvern this year, I have purchased 6 bags of rocksalt, spreader, and snow shovel for work.

Cue a balmy mild winter. 8)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

FWIW, I think the MO app is pretty reliable on short range weather forecasts. Ok their long term stuff has to be taken with a pinch of salt and has been embarrassing at times. But I take my hat off to them – like a lot of climate scientists being “forced” (intentional pun) to work within a pre-determined paradigm must have its difficulties.

cloudnine
    Free Member

If it’s cold / frosty on the full moon on the 17th it’s likely to be the start of a similar pattern for the next 4 weeks..

jam-bo

Ok their long term stuff has to be taken with a pinch of salt

all met forecasts beyond about 24hrs should be taken with a handful of salt…

Northwind

I remember getting a long-range forecast for the august bank holiday once, they predicted it’d be bright during the day, darker at night, with something like “medium confidence”. I was impressed!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Tuesday 3rd December thats when it will snow, forget all other forecasts

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There was quite abit the top end of Nidderdale on Sunday, and it snowed (briefly) on Ilkley Moor on Saturday am.

I thought it was the Daily Express that forecast the snow ?

rusty90
    Free Member

What the Met Office says

By midweek, it is likely that most parts will become colder than of late, with more widespread overnight frosts and temperatures a little below average by day.

What the Daily Mail says

Temperatures are set to plunge in Britain next week with snow and gales bringing parts of the country to a standstill, forecasters warned today. Freezing weather sweeping in from the North Pole threatens to whip up freezing winds, winter storms and widespread frosts, it was predicted.

🙂

davidjey
    Free Member

Do you remember a few months ago the Met office forecasting Mail and Express whipping up hysteria about snow from October onwards? Well? Where is it then?

FTFY.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

According to the Express….
    “Jonathan Powell, of Vantage Weather Services, said overnight temperatures in the South will shiver in lows of -4C”

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/georgemonbiot/2012/jun/15/daily-express-weather-forecast-jonathan-powell

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Where's the snow then Met Office?’ is closed to new replies.