• This topic has 33 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by timc.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Where's the footy thread?
  • sc-xc

C’mon England…. 🙂

Tom83

Awaits wendyball comments. ..

Seriously though, hoping we win!

andytherocketeer

just pre-warn me when the proper contest is…

…then I know the forest will be deserted 🙂

Ideally Germany, Italy, Spain, Turkey and England all out would make my life a bit more peaceful.

sc-xc

Shaping up to be a good match.

Pook

What’s Rooney got on his head?

bearnecessities

What’s Rooney got on his head?

New-ish hair?

bloodynora
    Free Member

Wheres the Scotch footy thread, they can still qualify for a major tournament for the the first time since 98 surely?

Caher

Real toe to toe contest so pretty exciting stuff.

Tom83

@pook He got a cut on his head training about a month ago.

brakes
    Free Member

Polish keepers having a blinder

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Have we ever peppered the Polish goal like this without actually scoring and then lost such an important match?

(hoping this will trigger a goal!)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

This Townsend bloke is quite useful. Now if someone could put in e net…..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Phew

sc-xc

!!!!!;;!!!!!!!;!!!,!!!

scuttler

Roy, Roy, wake up! We’ve scored. Roy!!!!

Someone fetch him a cuppa.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Have we ever peppered the Polish goal like this without actually scoring and then lost such an important match?

not lost, but failed to win: 1973, again a world cup qualifier that England needed to win. IIRC it was a draw and the Polish keeper, Jan Tomasewski, is in the crowd tonight. Before the game Cloughie called him ‘a clown’. Famous last words, eh?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m actually watching this.. so please indulge me. I’m not an expert in football, but this guy on the right is simply dribbling down the wing and crossing, like we used to do in school?

Now, either the Poles are crap (they do seem to be standing around a lot) or we’ve somehow rediscovered how to actually play football rather than observe some kind of tactical formation all the time…

spacemonkey

Before the game Cloughie called him ‘a clown’. Famous last words, eh?

Before, during AND after. One of the great man’s more disrespectful moments.

spacemonkey

I wouldn’t get carried away Molly. England scrape through to numerous tournaments, find themselves third favourites then play completely sh1t when it matters. It will be no different come next summer. Trust me.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks JD, I was actually joking!!

Molgrips – yes, attacking at pace and using width. We forget what we do well at times!!!

brakes
    Free Member

I’m not an expert in football, but this guy on the right is simply dribbling down the wing and crossing, like we used to do in school?

As one great man once said…

You’ve got to hold and give
    But do it at the right time
    You can be slow or fast
    But you must get to the line

They’ll always hit you and hurt you
    Defend and attack
    There’s only one way to beat them
    Get round the back

john_drummer
    Free Member

the Polish team are actually quite good. defending well & likely to cause England some serious problems on the counter attack.

high pace premier league style game, lots of half chances and an exciting game. When England or the opposition slow it down to Serie A pace, it becomes as dull as dishwater, even when there’s a bagful of goals.

andytherocketeer

but this guy … simply dribbling … like we used to do in school?

Dunno about others, but I gave up dribbling long before school. 😉

Judging by the cars going round and round and round (maybe this is the Truman Show?) and round and round hooting horns, I guess there was another game of kicking a ball around?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m talking about the tactics though. Dribble and tackle..?

brokensoul
    Free Member

That Townsend bloke’s a bit good.
    I’m sat in the Red Shed (Wakefield Labour Club), enjoying Acorn Brewery Blonde at £2 a pint, watching wendyball.
    Cutting edge.

brakes
    Free Member

get to the line to cross it in because:
    – you’re behind the defense so the ball and the man they are trying to mark are not in the same field of vision
    – when you cross it in the attacker will be running onto the ball making a shot easier to hit, and with more power
    – when the ball is at the end of the pitch, the defense can’t play for offside
    – there is more space to run out on the wings
    – it gives attackers more time to run into the box to get onto a cross

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The importers of cheap world cup tat will sigh with relief and anticipation.

brakes
    Free Member

great goal.

john_drummer
    Free Member

good game for a change

timc
    Free Member

Liverpool to the rescue again 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

Rescue? Were winning when Gerrard scored at the death .

timc
    Free Member

Where is Rooney from you plonker?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just walked in from the game. It genuinely felt like we were at an away game when getting off the tube, we were massively outnumbered and polands fans were excellent the whole way thro. Great first half with England running the show but the usual lack lustre sit back and **** about in the second half did them no favours! I picked the score and scorer so an all found good night!

timc
    Free Member

how much were tickets out of interest?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Where's the footy thread?’ is closed to new replies.