Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Where's the best place to buy an ipod classic?
  • 40mpg

I appreciate you can’t get new, but are some places better to look than others?

There’s one in stock at the local CEX, but I don’t know how trustworthy they are re quality – having said that they do offer some kind of warranty.

Any where else worth a look?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Not sure if you’ve heard of this unknown website before its where kind people sell things they no longer need and sometimes you can buy just the thing you want !

It’s called EBAY !!!!!

Failing that make a time machine and go back 6 or 7 years

40mpg

Thankyou geezer, I have looked at ebay but its a minefield of broken ipods and dodgy sellers. If possible I’d like to buy from a store or internet retailer so I have at least a little confidence in what I’m shelling out on.

And they only stopped selling new classics fairly recently I believe.

Cougar

CEX as a company are pretty decent. Though obviously, there’s a limit to how reliable any second-hand goods are.

allthegear
    Free Member

and it’s a pity I sold mine only a couple of weeks ago…

neilforrow

40 I have got one at home that has been sat in a draw for years. Not sure what model it is, but it is fully working (last time I checked). Send me an email if interested.

DezB
    Free Member

I appreciate you can’t get new

They’ve stopped making them? Why WHY? What happens if mine dies? I’ll die along with it I tell you. Apple are IDIOTS.

Anyway, there are plenty of working ones on eBay. Don’t be such a chicken.

Freester

I know. Why did they stop making them. I really like the fact that I can carry my entire CD collection on my iPod. Despite the fact I don’t listen to anywhere near all of it. Ever. I just listen to certain tracks. Or occasionally a whole album. I don’t want to stream. Or select a subset of my music. It’s the principle.

I WANT TO CARRY MY WHOLE COLLECTION EVERYWHERE. 🙁

bentudder

I’m about to sell one I’ve had languishing in a drawer for ages. 80GB. Probably need to drag all the content off it, but haven’t got ’round to it yet. Shout if interested.

Drac

Mine is lives in the car plugged in the media system, I never use it much as I always have my phone.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not sure if you’ve heard of this unknown website before its where kind people sell things they no longer need and sometimes you can buy just the thing you want !

It’s called EBAY !!!!!

Failing that make a time machine and go back 6 or 7 years

Can we have a whip round and get unfitgeezer another portion of chips, as someone seems to have pissed on his last lot. 8)

Drac

Can we have a whip round and get unfitgeezer another portion of chips, as someone seems to have pissed on his last lot.

😆

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Do I get to choose what chippy they come from ?

Can we have a whip round and get unfitgeezer another portion of chips, as someone seems to have pissed on his last lot.

At least I didn’t piss on my own!

CountZero

Freester – Member
    I know. Why did they stop making them. I really like the fact that I can carry my entire CD collection on my iPod. Despite the fact I don’t listen to anywhere near all of it. Ever. I just listen to certain tracks. Or occasionally a whole album. I don’t want to stream. Or select a subset of my music. It’s the principle.

I WANT TO CARRY MY WHOLE COLLECTION EVERYWHERE.
    I’m well past being able to carry my entire music collection on my 160Gb Classic.
    I have an old 80Gb v5 pod, but I loaned it to a friend; if I can get it back, it’s possible to shove a bigger drive in, there’s a Toshiba 250Gb drive that will fit, but they’re getting hard to find.
    It’s allegedly possible to fit SSD drives in the earlier 80Gb models too.
    I hope, and I mean HOPE, that a new Touch will be introduced with 256Gb of storage, now the iPhone has 128Gb; that’ll hold all my music, with some space for additional new stuff, (about 50-60Gb).

onlysteel
    Free Member

You can still buy new. Argos, silver only, £190.

Jamie
    Free Member

You can still buy new. Argos, silver only, £190.

Says product is unavailable.

Why did they stop making them.

If I recall correctly, Toshiba stopped making drives that size. It got to the point where the only use for them was iPods, and they just were not selling enough to warranty the manufacturing costs.

Edit:

Business Insider has the full quote:

“We couldn’t get the parts anymore, not anywhere on Earth,” Cook said. “It wasn’t a matter of me swinging the ax, saying ‘what can I kill today?’”

Cook also said there wasn’t enough demand for the device to justify putting big research-and-development bucks into redesigning it.

Indeed, at the heart of the final iPod Classic was a 160-GB hard drive made by Toshiba, a product that dates back to 2009. If sales of the device were low, it’s likely the demand wasn’t enough to keep Toshiba building it. It’s also older, slow technology – spinning at 4,200 RPM – and so wouldn’t be in demand for other devices, either.[/quote]

Sauce.

onlysteel
    Free Member

My mistake.
    Phew! Pleased I grabbed one of the last, in black, a couple of weeks ago.

revs1972
    Free Member

I bought a camera lens from CEX and they guaranteed it for 12 months.
    I think they guarantee most items for 12 months

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Where's the best place to buy an ipod classic?’ is closed to new replies.