Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Where's my Stop Cock?
  • Kryton57

I’m wondering whether Thames Water have fed me some BS.

We have a “flow” issue – its a bit limited at 5l per hour. Despite there being one of those small square metal hatches in the footpath outside the house, Mr TW told me that the only way to turn off the water is to heave up the lovely flooring that a certain Mr Darcy installed, and find the mains tap.

Until now, I’ve understood it to be the tap at the back of the house in the kitchen, on a vertical pipe that runs vertically from the floor to the loft where the tank used to be, which is now extended and runs across the loft and down into the back of our boiler. Assuming this pipe comes from the front of the house, it would run parallel to where the outside TW hatch is. Turning this tap off turns water to all taps and the boiler off.

The reason he mention it is he thinks the flow restrictin is cause by build up in an internal pipe.

So, why couldn’t I open the small square hatch in the footpath and turn of the supply to my house?

nickjb
    Free Member

So, why couldn’t I open the small square hatch in the footpath and turn of the supply to my house?

Theoretically you can. It might need a special key and if you go at it with the wrong tool and break it then it could get expensive as its their’s not yours. Also check it only feeds your house.

Drac

I do as that as the stop cock in the house is a bit dodgy, the one outside is just a simple one turn lever.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you can turn it off and get a special tool to reach it
    http://www.plastics-express.co.uk/water-service-pipes-fittings/standpipes/stop-tap-key-4222-channel-type-p-tte416?kw=&fl=1000&ci=43648358970&network=pla&gclid=CMS-zeDtvckCFRKeGwodK5YI-A

Turning this tap off turns water to all taps and the boiler off.

MMm stop cock nope no idea where it could be now…..WTF is the question again 😕

scaredypants

they don’t like you messing with the ones in the street, that’s why he said that – ‘cos he’s “the man”, man

Kryton57

oh shit, its leaking

matt_outandabout

What is leaking? Street or kitchen?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Shit is, he just said ^. He’s obviously breached the sewers.

Outside stopcock might do more than one house. Mine does.

nealglover
    Free Member

Theoretically you can. It might need a special key and if you go at it with the wrong tool and break it then it could get expensive as its their’s not yours. Also check it only feeds your house.

Partially right.

If it breaks it won’t be expensive at all. You ring them, and tell them it’s broken, and they come out and fix it.

It doesn’t cost you anything, it belongs to them and they bear the cost of fixing any problem with it.

They have to provide a working external stop tap, if it doesn’t work, or it not accessible, they sort it out or fit a new one.

Kryton57

Kitchen, dripping from the tap i mentioned, no way of turning off the in the street.

Now I’m worried.

nickjb
    Free Member

If it breaks it won’t be expensive at all. You ring them, and tell them it’s broken, and they come out and fix it.

I suppose, if they don’t find out it was you that broke it

they bear the cost of fixing any problem with it.

I wonder if they would pass that cost onto the customers

Kryton57

So please, serious answers becuase I am shitting myself about the house flooding while we are asleep;

Its fully open and dripping 14 drips per minute – it it likely to get worse until the emergency plumber arrives at 12 tomorrow?

nealglover
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    Kitchen, dripping from the tap i mentioned, no way of turning off the in the street.
    Now I’m worried.

Call the water company.

Tell them you have a leaking internal stop tap and the external one is not working/buried/hidden (whichever it is)

They will send someone out to sort the outside tap (quickly, as it’s causing an issue)

(I used to be a plumber and had to do this a LOT)

They have to supply an outside stop tap, they can’t leave it long once it’s reported, because if the inside stop tap fails, they can be held liable for damage if they have been informed the outside tap is defective and they failed to fix it.

Ring them now.

it it likely to get worse until the emergency plumber arrives at 12 tomorrow?

Depends what is causing it to leak, but probably not as long as you leave it alone.

By the way, it doesn’t take 18 hours for an “emergency” plumber to show up surely ?

zanelad
    Free Member

How old is the house. A lot of newer ones, and many where there’s been work carried out have valves in the pipes leading to the taps.

Get a torch and have a poke around under the sink. You may see what looks like a screwhead visble. Ours had holes cut into the back of the sink base unit to allow the water supply to each tap to be turned off.

daftvader
    Free Member

just use a screwdriver to lift the lid on the one in the street, reach don and shut it off. it may shut off the rest of the street too, but at least your tap will have stopped dripping. unless you are on a meter then there should be a tap just before it. (IANAP) hth

nealglover
    Free Member

Also, what is under the cover in the street ?

What’s stopping you turning it off there, you just say you can’t, but didn’t say why.

project
    Free Member

Its fully open and dripping 14 drips per minute – it it likely to get worse until the emergency plumber arrives at 12 tomorrow?

Remember to leave the plug in the sink to save any water for washing tomorrow,

Kryton57

By the way, it doesn’t take 18 hours for an “emergency” plumber to show up surely ?

My dripping tap isn’t urgent enough yet.

Also, what is under the cover in the street ?

#

Just a square rod sticking up. It appear each house down the streat has its own outside stop cock. In the footpath. I’ve got the tool pictured above but it doesnt grip the square rod.

NOTE: Its not a tap over a sink – its the mains stop cock itself which is leaking

nealglover
    Free Member

Righto.

Ring the water company then.

They haven’t supplied an outside stop tap. And your inside stop tap is leaking.

They have to sort it out.

nealglover
    Free Member

Or. If you can reach it …

Take the bit that turns from another stop tap in the house (either a round one (near the boiler or water tank probably) or a straight bar type. And use it on the square rod.

Chances are it’s a stop tap, with “tap” bit removed for some reason.

There is a small screw head in the centre that releases the “turney” bit.

matt_outandabout

Which bit of the under sink tap is leaking?

Kryton57

Neal I can do that, the square rod is about 3/4″ x 3/4″ in size.

When the TW man looked at things, he said they were going to come in 10/14 days anyway to replaced the outside stop cock, so I’m wondering if this is some kind of old design.

Which bit of the under sink tap is leaking?

Its not the sink-tap, its the internal stop cock on a pipe.

matt_outandabout

OK, which bit of that tap is leaking?

Kryton57

FWIW it looks like it needs this key:

nealglover
    Free Member

said they were going to come in 10/14 days anyway to replaced the outside stop cock, so I’m wondering if this is some kind of old design

Things change when the inside stop tap is failing.

Think about what sort of damage gets caused by mains pressure water free flowing into someone’s house for 10/14 days 🙂

Seriously, ring them and tell them your inside stop tap is failing and needs to be changed.

Many times I’ve had an outside stop tap changed the same day I’ve called to report it.

Edit-just seen last post.

Unless you can get one of those in the morning, you should still ring them and get it changed.

They will fit a quarter turn plastic one that is operated by hand.

Kryton57

matt_outandabout – Member
    OK, which bit of that tap is leaking?”

No idea – the tap is mounted sideway/vertically, an the “pipe” end of it is buried in some plaster on a fake partition wall. The drip seems to gather just where the spindle of the key bit enters the valve, and drips.

14 drips per minute btw 😐

nealglover
    Free Member

Call : 0800 3169 800

24 hour line specifically for this problem.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what neal says

JUst ring them as it wont cost you anything

Kryton57

So I tried that – thanks Neal.

TW won’t come out unless there’s a plumber on site. Although I could turn the key myself, if only I had the tool, which I dont. Advice is emergency plumber who should have the key.

I won’t be sleeping well tonigt.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Why not call an emergency plumber who will presumably come right now?

As per Neal the only time I had a problem with my plumbing the water was literally coming out of the ceiling and there was no discussion about waiting 12 hours or more….

midlifecrashes

Have you tried turning the street valve using mole grips or wedging on a socket?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Silly! Far better to ask a bunch of cycling loonbags instead!

spooky_b329

Got home emergency cover on your home insurance?

Kryton57

Because I’ve gone through my house insurance emergency cover to try to avoid a massive bill.

Anyway, I asked my neighbour if he has a outside key and he came (builder) cam and looked at it. He says its just the washer on the turny-bit leaking, and to leave it alone and it won’t get worse or explode. I hope he’s right.

Have you tried turning the street valve using mole grips or wedging on a socket?

I’ll put my socket set / pliers by the front door.

Thank all, still nervous. My wife isn’t, she’s watching TV on the sofa eating popcorn!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Sounds like the gland nut (?) on your internal stop tap. IANAP but it happened to ours recently. Plumber turned off the outside one, tweaked the inside one with some PTFE tape then turned them both back on. Bingo no more leak and only £25

Do you have a washing up bowl you could put underneath the drip?

Kryton57

Do you have a washing up bowl you could put underneath the drip?

A plastic jug but yes.

Slight issue is that to give the plumber access I’ll need to dismantle a kitchen cupboard!

easygirl

Turn the tap in a turn
    Get a spanner and nip the hexagon nut up on the shaft,this usually cures the drip
    2 minute job

easygirl

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can I just say that this thread is now a Finbarr Saunders-fest.

Nut. Shaft. Cock. Parts. Drip. Nip. Jug(s). And even a wife eating popcorn.

Kryton57

Turn the tap in a turn

I’m the kind of hamfisted idiot that would flood the place if I tried that. I’ll await the plumber to arrive, seeing as he’ll be free.

Having watch you tube I think it is the gland (one you missed CFH) that leaking. Old tap though, hope he can fix it.

Potential outdoor stopcock turning tools are stacked by the frontdoor, but I’ll be off to the DIY shops first thing to get a proper key.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Where's my Stop Cock?’ is closed to new replies.