• This topic has 46 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Where's better than Photobucket for hosting pics?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Please bear with me, i’m virtually incompetent at t’interweb stuff.
    Have been using Photobucket for years to mainly host pics in order to link to forums etc – but the sheer amount of pop-ups and lag is pretty much causing my laptop to completely freeze every time I use it.

Any blindingly obvious alternatives?

footflaps

Flickr?

Been using it since 2005…

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I use both Flickr & Photobucket.
    I’m in the same situation as the OP
    Photobucket was great for linking photo’s to here but in recent times it’s started filling the screen with far to many pop up adds so I’m also looking for another site.
    I find Flickr great for hosting images but a PITA for linking stuff.
    Where next?..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Imgur is simple to use and provides a direct URL for forums etc.

Flickr is better if you are running the desktop app but they’ve made it hard to get the URL from a phone app.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve used both flickr and photobucket since Google Photos lost the capability to show images on forums. Flickr is fine but some forums don’t like their IMG urls- I’ve had one come up with a 403 Forbidden Error when posting on various devices. Post the same think without the flickr links and it’s fine.

I use an ad blocker in Chrome for Photobucket (ahem, I’d never use it on STW, since that doesn’t suffer from lag or pop ups…) and it makes it behave like a normal site. I’d try that first.

trailwagger
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Imgur is simple to use and provides a direct URL for forums etc
    Do they use Java or Flash for copying the links?

Java is blocked here, so I can’t get photobucket links, so thinking of changing as well as for the reasons mentioned.

Ignore that – just had a try and Imgur works 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve gotten down with Ad-Rock but never used an ad-block.

Simpleton friendly? Please advise.

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve switched to imgur for hosting pics for posting on here. No irritating popups, both desktop and mobile apps work well and simple to link to pics for posting.

fasthaggis

I like Flickr ,used it for years,never have any bother with it.
    I am sure for some folk it can be a bit slow,but I don’t operate at instagram speed 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

slimjim78- do you know which browser you are using for the internet? If you google ad block for that browser something will come up that you can install that blocks all the adverts and pop ups, so you can use Photobucket just like a normal website.

aracer
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem to – I just copied and pasted this:

jambalaya
    Free Member

Photobucket works well, I stopped using Flickr as I couldn’t get the required links for posting here on mobile devices after they changed the interface.

There are solutions for annoying ads on mobile and desktop devices.

DezB
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem to – I just copied and pasted this

Yep, works for me too, though the site has no ads, navigation is a bit naff. Good for the one-off image postings though.

kayak23

I use Flickr.
    Linking an image is a pita, I can’t work out how on the app but if you access it via your browser then;

Click your image open, click ‘view and edit info about this photo’
    Then click ‘view all sizes’
    Then press and hold the image and select ‘open image in New tab’. Then copy the image address from the address bar and paste it into image tags on here… 🙄
    Hassle but there you go…

scotroutes

If you are using Flickr in the browser it’s much easier than that.

With the image on screen you should have a little arrow icon at the bottom right. Click on it.

Select the BBCode tab (will be preselected if you always use it).

CTRL-C to copy the link

Switch to the STW window

CTRL-V to paste it (no IMG tags required)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/N4oJpH]20161108_122538[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

aracer
    Free Member

I’m just not sure why it’s worth bothering with flickr – all my pics are automatically backed up to google, if I want to post something on here it’s so simple to use imgur. Simpler than with photobucket even if it wasn’t for all the irritating ads etc. on there – even with filtering on it’s still a pain, which is why like the OP I stopped using it for new pics (though I still have my old pics on there).

kayak23

scotroutes – Member
    If you are using Flickr in the browser it’s much easier than that.
    With the image on screen you should have a little arrow icon at the bottom right. Click on it.

Not sure that works on mobile. I don’t get the arrow.

scotroutes

Not sure that works on mobile. I don’t get the arrow.[/quote]Ah – I should have made clear that I was meaning from a desktop

deadkenny
    Free Member

For random crap, imgur. Easy to use and forum friendly if you can get to the bit where they have the BBcode to copy.

I still use Flickr for hosting my own photos I want to share.

Near impossible to get the links to share Google photos now on forums.

All my master photos are on Onedrive. I can share from that too but I move things around in it a lot which would break links. I use a share folder and stick copies of stuff in there to share. Mainly use it for document sharing. Pics I’ll still use Flickr and imgur

scotroutes

I’ve found it OK to use Google Photos, if a bit convoluted.

You need a Public Album.
    Put any photo you want to share in there.
    Get the long google URL.
    Put it into goo.gl to shorten it.
    And then post it between IMG tags.

But mostly this..

aracer – Member – Block User – Quote
    I’m just not sure why it’s worth bothering with flickr – all my pics are automatically backed up to google, if I want to post something on here it’s so simple to use imgur. Simpler than with photobucket even if it wasn’t for all the irritating ads etc. on there – even with filtering on it’s still a pain, which is why like the OP I stopped using it for new pics (though I still have my old pics on there).

GrahamS

For posting throwaway stuff on here I just use https://postimage.org/

Free and no account or login required. Just upload pic and it gives you the URL.

STATO
    Free Member

aracer – Member – Block User – Quote
    I’m just not sure why it’s worth bothering with flickr – all my pics are automatically backed up to google, if I want to post something on here it’s so simple to use imgur.

If your posting a throwaway image yeah, but most pics posted are people sharing something, so why not share the rest of your pics about it too? Bike albums, trips, events. That’s why its worth using Flickr. Its not (just) for backing up your pics.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve found it OK to use Google Photos, if a bit convoluted.

You need a Public Album.
    Put any photo you want to share in there.
    Get the long google URL.
    Put it into goo.gl to shorten it.
    And then post it between IMG tags.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Exactly. Google have broken it.

CraigW
    Free Member

Google Photos seems to work, but then the photos disappear a few days later. Or they are visible to some people, but not everyone. I don’t think there’s any way to make it work reliably.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

And yet if I right that photo box and open it in a new tab, I see my skinny fatbike. 😕

aracer
    Free Member

So you make an album on imgur http://imgur.com/a/uFxrx

I could of course also just shove the pics in an album on google to share, but imgur also automatically gives you easy share links. Either seems easier than flickr.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’m using this thread as an excuse to attempt to upload my own personal photo for the first time using imgur……

Yay it worked! (that’s my super clean new shiny bike squeezing in to the back of a Fiat Bravo back in Feb – I’ve since worked out how to do it with only the front wheel off)

aracer
    Free Member

Is it trickier posting pics with only the front wheel off?

welshfarmer

How is your German? I have been using http://www.picr.de for a number of years now. Very simple, and it works.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@scot if you look in that link you’ve posted you onky need the bits between [ img ] … and [ /img ]

That way you don’t get the Flickr or your name / link to your account … or you may not care

Saccades
    Free Member

Thing I don’t like about flickr is that it often sticks your user id (name generally) under every photo.

Adblocker for photobucket and you just get one camera pop up thing and then the site is useable.

orangeman5
    Free Member

Ahhh, first time for everything… 🙂

orangeman5
    Free Member

https://postimg.org/image/xgklpjyy9/
    Better size hopefully…. 🙂

mattyfez

I think I’ll have to move away from photobucket, it’s just a spam fest now.

The mobile app seems fine, but trying to log in via a browser, it’s just malware city.

orangeman5
    Free Member

How do you make the picture bigger in Post Image…. 🙁

orangeman5
    Free Member

GrahamS

Orangeman: use the one that says “Direct Link” – that gives you the URL of the full sized image you uploaded.
    Then on here you just hit the IMG button and paste in that URL.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Where's better than Photobucket for hosting pics?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts