Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Where/how to watch American Football in the UK?
  • clubber
    Free Member

My boss is over from the US next month and he's keen to see an NFL game in which his nephew's playing. Since he's a decent guy, I said I'd try and find out how he can see it. I think that the specific match is the Green Bay Packers Vs Chicago Bears on Sunday 13th September though he's also interested in watching the Jacksonville Jaguars Vs Indianapolis Colts on the same date.

I guess that there'll be some internet streaming available but ideally I think he'd like to watch it on TV. So, any NFL fans out there?

mossimus
    Free Member

If it is being broadcast on TV it will be on ESPN America, availible through sky or virgin.

Check out this site nearer the time

molgrips
    Free Member

Sky have all the NFL games I think. You might find a pub you can persuade to put it on.

GO PACKERS! Is this nephew playing for them? We'll be watching the Packers games at our house in Cardiff if you want to pop round 🙂

Surfr
    Free Member

In London? Try the Famous 3 Kings, or F3K as it's often known. Probably the best sports bar in the world.

http://www.sportspubs.co.uk/new_detail.php?pubscode=161

robbo1234biking

http://www.nfluk.com/news/five-to-show-sunday-night-football_250809.html

It is going to be on Channel 5 on the 13th so might be able to watch in his hotel…

BlingBling
    Free Member

ESPN America will probably be showing it.

clubber
    Free Member

He'll be in Bristol.

Thanks for all the help there – sounds like he'll be able to find it one way or another 🙂

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Used to love watching it when channel 4 screened it on Sundays (Jesus, that's a long time ago, best not think about it). Me and the missus went to New York a couple of years ago, and managed to get tickets for a Jets / Buffalo game – that's four hours of my life I'll never get back – how does anybody manage to maintain interest in a game with no flow whatsoever? Literally, there was a break between every play, presumably due to advertising, which killed it for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

I imagine it's better watched at home where you can be drinking, chatting, lazing about, doing something else, surfing STW etc in between plays.

marsdenman
    Free Member

American football is what 'Highlight Shows' were made for………..

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

couldnt agree more marsden – the best part of the game was the intro (the Jets came on to the field accompanied by the Ramones 'Blitzkrieg Bop') – after that it was dull as.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Note, . . . Packers vs Bears won't kick-off till about 1.15 am our time!!

The other game will be on about 6pm, if it's on TV?

The rights to the games between Sky and ESPN are still to be sorted out!!!!

You really do need to understand the game to get the most from it by the way.

Go Steelers!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I do understand the game, so drop the patronising tone please. What I didnt enjoy, as I thought I'd explained already, was that literally after every completed pass, etc, the game was stopped for two to three minutes, presumably for 'a word from our sponsors'. In the states, TV advertising takes over and ruins sport.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sky repeat the late night games the following day in the evening.

BTW when I've been watching it there isn't a break after EVERY play – some run into each other. There's a break when there's a timeout towards the end of the quarter, a challenge, offence swaps for defence, etc etc. So after MOST plays 🙂

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Okay molgrips, I'll concede that it's a break after most plays, but it still makes for a stilted, somewhat boring spectacle. Give me rugby (either code) any day.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

15 posts till Rugby gets a mention, . . .

Must be some kind of record!

Contact sports, ball is roughly the same shape, that's about all they have in common!

Hines goes Pop

Kuco

Hines Ward great player and I don't normally like offensive players much.

clubber
    Free Member

I don't like offensive people much generally either 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Where/how to watch American Football in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.