Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Where/How do you get your bikes weighed?
  • gnusmas

Seen loads of weights of bikes posted up on here, where do you get your bikes weighed? Short of taking it all apart and putting one component at a time on the kitchen scales and adding up at the end i don’t know how i would go about it.

I know our bathroom scales are way out so not accurate at all. Just curious now as to how much my bike(s) weigh.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Park Tools bike scales?

wiggles
    Free Member

Ask your LBS, we have a park scales for such requests.

DrP

There’s no possible way of weighing a bike.
    I think they just make it up….

DrP

(Edit -I’ve just seen a company in China where you can send your bike to be weighed. It must be that)

devash
    Free Member

I stand on my bathroom scales and take my weight, then stand on again holding my bike. Deduct my weight from weight + bike = pretty close to ball park bike weight.

benman
    Free Member

I take mine to Slimming World for the Tuesday weigh in

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Weigh yourself on your scales. Then pick up your bike and get back on the scales. Subtract your weight from the number you get.

tthew

Pick up my steel frame single speed MTB. Say, “ooh that’s quite heavy.”
    Pick up a different bike. say, “wow that’s much lighter/even heavier*”
    That’s a close as I’ll ever need to be.

*delete as appropriate.

bearnecessities

Luggage weighing hook, tied to something.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

All I’d add to tthew’s comments are have a dump before you go out and, if you are really worried about a pound or two either way, avoid mud.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I go off advertised weight of all the components, frame, wheels etc add them up and deduct 10%. Pretty much like everyone else does on here

br
    Free Member

Pretty much like everyone else does on here

Aye, and those of us with accurate scales know that. Which is why we also know that most folks’ bike weight claims are guess-work.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Exactly

Rorschach
    Free Member

Make it up.Subtract a 2 pounds for “I’m going tubeless and I’ve got some foam grips coming” and ready the righteous indignation for when someone calls bullshizzle.
    Despite having 2 sets of digital scales in the work shop (don’t ask) people still won’t believe them when you question the validity of their ’24lb’ orange 5.

monkeyboyjc

Ern with one of these digital luggage scales
    hell of alot cheaper than the park tools version.

porlus
    Free Member

Bought a digital luggage scale to do mine. Weighed mine a few times and got consistant weight. Took it to the lbs for work doing on it, and they weighed it on a pukka bike scale. Got same weight as my cheapy ones.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Do you know anyone whose hobby is fishing?

taxi25
    Free Member

Cheap digital luggage scales from ebay. I’ve weighed something of a known weight with mine and their suprisingly accurate.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Every bike I build weighs 29.9lb to 33lb just always ends up that way, my Orange 5 was 33lb full xtr , flows, 36’s and reverb 😀 Just buuilt a 29er hard tail 29.9lb my Tracer 2 32.9lb, £4 scales of Ebay , as it happens the Park scales gave the same figures

GolfChick
    Free Member

We had one of the cheapo ebay special luggage weighers but it was FAR from accurate, in fact it weighed differently every time you picked the bike up. I spent £20 on the one from Planet X bikes and its much better, can attach it to my work stand and hang stuff from it and its consistent with its measurements. If I wasn’t so fussed I’d just ask LBS to weigh it occasionally but I’ve turned into a bit of a weight weenie!

tomhoward

Whatever the temperature is in degrees C is my start point, then just pic kg or lb, which ever is most plausible.

jameso

Do you know anyone whose hobby is fishing?

Nah, hopeless.. Fishing scales add 5%. Bike scales deduct 5% : )

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got a Topeak work stand with integrated scales.

bedmaker

If it’s to post the weight on a forum, theres no need to weigh the bike first.

Burly full sus – just over 30lbs
    Trail full sus – 28lbs
    racy ish hardtail – just over 24lbs
    Carbon XC bike – 19lbs
    Fatbike 36lbs before drilling rims, 26lbs after

That appears to me to be the general gist of it.

holst
    Free Member

My hairdresser has some very nice electronic scales. I just get my bike weighed while I’m getting a perm.

breadcrumb

Bike weights often make me chuckle.
    Someone built up a Soul with steel stationed Toras and average wheels/groupset and claimed it was under 24lbs!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Salter carp scales, VERY accurate, those guys are anally retentive about their fish!

Houns

I don’t.

Scapegoat

Ebay scales. Slung from a beam in the garage and a cable tie around the frame to get it in the middles. They aren’t all that accurate mind you. This was with Arch EX and 2.2 Nics on. I weighed it again at the wheelbuilder’s on his super accurate scales with Flows and 2.4 Nics, and it weighed 300g less. 😀

gnusmas

ebay scales are happy 🙂

Scapegoat

About as happy as I was when I realised I’d got it under 30lb!

Sundayjumper

I’ve got the same ones monkey boy linked to. I’ve checked them against some calibrated 5kg & 10kg weights and they were within 50g. More than good enough for weighing bikes.

28lbs for my trail bike and 19.5lbs for my HT as it turns out.

bomberman
    Free Member

Ill do it for you, weeeeyyyyyyy!

Happy?

tomhoward

29lbs scapegoat? I’d be gutted, look here….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/show-me-your-10-11kg-fs-bike/page/2#post-6038002

Apparently….

nick1962
    Free Member

Surely there’s an App?
    Balancing your bike is the tricky bit 😉

Scapegoat

@tomhoward. That’s an SL though, not a Mojo HD with a 160 Slant….. 😀

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Where/How do you get your bikes weighed?’ is closed to new replies.