Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Whereabouts for a holiday in England?.
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looking to explore these shores a bit more, I'd thought about The west country as I'd like to go to Bath. Not bothered about being near to good biking areas, but it would be an added bonus.

I don't really want to drive as far as Devon/Cornwall, but I'd maybe consider it.

So, in summary, a cottage for a week when the schools go back (first week in sept), in walking distance of good eateries, nice area, things to entertain the wee yin etc.

All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

thomthumb
    Free Member

zomerset. lovely.

lyons
    Free Member

Somewhere around Porlock/ minehead/ the quantocks. Its A beautiful area…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dickydutch

Not sure where you live, but Northumberland never ceases to amaze me!
    Stunning coastline, vast countryside and everybit as 'wildernessy' as Scotland.

carbon337
    Free Member

Northumberland

uplink
    Free Member

I don't really want to drive as far as Devon/Cornwall, but I'd maybe consider it.

I guess you need to say where you are how far you do want to drive

Pook

Devon and Cornwall are well worth the drive.

I spent the majority of my childhood holidays there, and always aim to get back each year.

Took my gf last year and she loved it.

I can strongly recommend this place
    http://www.butterwellfishery.co.uk/

which has private grounds all along the river to watch birds/fish/the otter, a BBQ and swings.

Lovely people too. Also right on the camel trail for biking, and across the valley from the Camel Valley Vineyard for beautiful wine!

GlennG
    Free Member

+1 for the Porlock/Minehead area, also like Pembrokeshire, stunning coastal scenery/walks

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

+1 for Northumberland, +1 for Pembrokeshire

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Northumberland and Pembrokeshire (Not in England, btw!) are horrible. No really, don't go. Nothing to see there at all. No nice beaches, no great pubs, nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Honest! 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sorry, should have said, live in Prestwick, about 35 mins from Glasgow and the M74 south.

piha
    Free Member

Isle of Purbeck.
    Stunning coastline.
    Great pubs.
    Fossil hunting and swimming on the beaches.
    Fantastic cottages available.
    Tank museum and monkey world.
    Coastal path to explore.
    Poole just across the water for a day out.
    plus loads more (I do like I of P BTW)

dickydutch

Prestwick?! Got to be Northumberland then. Surely…..

Mackem

+Norhumberlnd. East Anglia too – only been the once and was surprised at the number of lovely old villages and quality "Ye olde worlde" pubs.

Ti29er
    Free Member

I also like the rugged NE England coast line up from Filey towards the Tees estuary.
    Whitby, Runswick Bay, Robin Hoods Bay, N Yorkshire Moors in the hinterland (Think! Dalby Forest) etc.

If you do go to Porlock there's a sodding hill out of the town that just has to ridden – steepest A road in the UK (?).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not really looking for rugged wilderness, I have that an hour or two up the road. Anywhere else?.

MoreCashThanDash

sorry, Northumberland for me – easy access to the Borders as well if the stunning local scenery isn't enough for you.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Salcombe it's lovely there and worth the drive.

squin
    Free Member

Sorry to offer a suggestion of somewhere you opened by saying you didn't want to go, but….. St.Ives in Cornwall. I lived there as a kid and it's simply the most beautiful place in the UK. Beautiful white sand beaches, fantastic restaurants, great pubs, unbelieveable coastline, loads of art culture (Tate, Barbara Hepworth, Ben Nicholson, Leech (sp?), etc etc), plus there is some brilliant riding straight out of St.Ives onto the Penwith Moors. The weather will still be warm. September is their SeptFest with loads of live music and performances all month.

Also, can you fly from Prestwick to Newquay?

Sorry!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Whereabouts for a holiday in England?.’ is closed to new replies.