• This topic has 101 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ton.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Where would you rather live (UK content)?
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Brother emigrated to San Diego, California this January, all year round warm climate, little rain, great surfing and mountain ranges a short drive away for biking, earning a lot more cash than he was in the UK, and a loves the way of life out there.

takisawa2

Where do folk in BC / New Zealand / the Alps dream of living then…

Slough, Coventry, Bracknell…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Always had a hankering for the south of France on the Atlantic side, down near the border.

loddrik
    Free Member

UK for me please. No desire to live anywhere else. I wish it was warmer for longer but we rightly have much to be proud of and when all’s said and done its a great place to live.

A lot of these choices seem biking related. Sure we don’t have huge mountains here but I live 4 hours from Scotland, 1 from Wales, 1 from the Peaks, loads of great trail centres and natural riding. We’re hardly hard done by here, definitely no rose tinted gigs on here when I look at anywhere else.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>NZ is more than 3 times the size with a smaller population, the mountains are MUCH bigger (Nevis is half the size of NZs thirtieth highest mountain) AND they have a good rugby team <

Yeah you need it – given the absence of right to roam 😉

hora
    Free Member

I’d happily holiday at ANY of the above.

However I’d hanker for blighty far too much. Bar the suburbia and grime boy there are beautiful places here. Soo many beautiful and varied places and people.

No thanks. I’ll stay here.

Ex-Pats when you are old and ill, please stay overseas and enjoy that counties hospitals etc.

njee20
    Free Member

I really like the UK frankly, one of the few places that could tempt me would be northern California – San Francisco bay area or Tahoe.

brooess
    Free Member

UK is a beautiful country with an amazing history and an entrepreneurial/trading/open-minded spirit which will stand us in good stead as the new world order comes through.

I also think it’s not obvious when you live here how much better off we are than the vast majority of the world. Southern Europe seems to be rather knackered economically, USA is going through a confidence crisis, China doesn’t treat it’s people too well.

I lived in France when I was a student and it gave me a real sense of perspective how great UK is…

andytherocketeer

Germany. For exactly the same reasons on the previous page.

Wouldn’t turn down offer to go back to Holland either (even if the beer is rubbish, and the mountains are non-existent). Quite fancy the idea of something a bit closer to the Austrian, Süd-Tirol, Slovenian end of the Alps though (although French Alps / Lausanne / Geneva kind of area would do too).

Nowhere in the UK is really shouting out to me at the moment. Lakes maybe for early retirement.

camo16
    Free Member

Ex-Pats when you are old and ill, please stay overseas and enjoy that counties hospitals etc.

Yeah, it’s not like they paid tax and NI all the time they were living in Blighty, is it? Selfish sods.

Uuh…

CaptJon
    Free Member

grum – Member
    If you have hippy pretensions like me Portland, Oregon sounds cool.

People with hippy pretensions are hipsters, and Portlandia is full of them.

My vote is Canada. I was in Calgary for Canada Day and the mayor even praised public sector workers!

freeagent
    Free Member

Currently live in Bromley (SE London)
    If I moved anywhere in the UK it would probably be the new forest…

If we went abroad then either Australia (Victoria) or Austria (near Zell-am-see or Kaprun)

tonyg2003

Vancouver / Victoria are pretty cool (I was there 2 weeks ago). I’d have most of the year in the UK and 3-4 winter months in San Diego or Palm Springs at a push! Really though I’m happy in the UK.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My vote is Canada. I was in Calgary for Canada Day and the mayor even praised public sector workers!

and he isn’t the one smoking crack!

ianv
    Free Member

I lived in France when I was a student and it gave me a real sense of perspective how great UK is…

Where did you live though, Roubaix?

South of Dijon, France is a great place to live.

MSP

I will thanks, they actually have rather good provisions here. I find social and medical care is pretty equal throughout western Europe, and in fact Germany probably edges the UK in those provisions.

I am not sure about other destinations, such as the US, Canada, Australia and new Zealand. I imagine again they are fairly comparable as long as you are in gainful employment. I think the main thing that always puts me off America is if your life takes a turn for the worse, ie losing your job, then everything can really go very wrong.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep over here in Oz the minimum employer pension contribution is 9% and planed to rise

beaker2135

We’re on the move, we’re tempted by Andalusia – for the climate and cost of living. Lack of employment and language skills means that’s unlikely though
    So we’re probably going to end up in Alston, food for your soul the Pennines in our opinion
    Got to be better than Sussex to be honest, I’ve moved here from Yorkshire 7 years and I can’t say I’ve settled

bikebouy
    Free Member

If it was warmer, say 10C warmer, I’d pick the West Coast of Scotland.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Honestly Hora, open your eyes and do some proper digging into the state of foreign health care before making comments like that. You only need to look over the channel to see how sh*t the NHS is in comparison to the French system. And by the look of it its only going to get worse over here…

If I could move anywhere in the UK it’d have to be Devon/Cornwall. I love the sea and I’d love the ability to surf more often than I do (Halifax isn’t best placed for someone who likes a paddle). Bringing up my kids near the sea, going to the beach every weekend and stuff appeals massively. If ever a decent job came up down there I’d be there in a flash.

But the grand plan is France. Pay off the mortgage ASAP, retire by 50 and move to France and buy a place that needs a bit of work but has the ability to convert some outbuildings into gites and has a fishing lake. Spend the rest of my life sitting in the sunshine, doing a bit of fishing, eating and drinking nice food and drink and taking advantage of the rural French way of life which is so laid back its beyond horizontal…

wrecker
    Free Member

move to France and buy a place that needs a bit of work but has the ability to convert some outbuildings into gites and has a fishing lake. Spend the rest of my life sitting in the sunshine, doing a bit of fishing, eating and drinking nice food and drink and taking advantage of the rural French way of life which is so laid back its beyond horizontal…

Sounds lovely! I hope you manage it!

unknown
    Free Member

I’d drop the UK like a hot stone if I had the chance, all the bits with people in them are awful. I love France and the French people (really) so somewhere in the Alps would be high on my list. Top of the list is probably Chile, fantastic country, incredible scenery and mountains, nice people and a decent economy.

LHS
    Free Member

Second vote for Boulder Colorado, I have a house there and can confirm its the best place.

ransos
    Free Member

You can probably drive to a place that’s very very similar, it’s called Scotland.

let’s play a game, it’s called: Scotland? – or New Zealand?

I’ve spent plenty of time in the highlands & islands. New Zealand has bigger mountains, better skiing, better food, better diving, excellent wine, warmer temperatures, and the locals have a chip on their shoulder about Australia, not England.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Currently in the, initial, planning stage of moving from Leeds to Cumbria. Looking at places west of Penrith but just outside the NP – being just inside the NP seems to add £XXXXXX to the price of a house.

RustySpanner

Quite happy where I am, but quite fancy Northumberland or the
    West Coasts of Scotland or Ireland.
    Llanberis possibly.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Austria (near Zell-am-see or Kaprun)

Lived in Kitzbühel for a little while.

Stunning.

Ridiculously expensive.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve spent plenty of time in the highlands & islands. New Zealand has bigger mountains, better skiing, better food, better diving, excellent wine, warmer temperatures, and the locals have a chip on their shoulder about Australia, not England.

Genuine 😆

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

But the grand plan is France. Pay off the mortgage ASAP, retire by 50 and move to France and buy a place that needs a bit of work but has the ability to convert some outbuildings into gites and has a fishing lake. Spend the rest of my life sitting in the sunshine, doing a bit of fishing, eating and drinking nice food and drink and taking advantage of the rural French way of life which is so laid back its beyond horizontal…

That sounds very ace.

We moved to the IoW to be near the sea. Have to say, it’s great to have it on the doorstep.

hora
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s not like they paid tax and NI all the time they were living in Blighty, is it? Selfish sods.

Ex-Pats aren’t always the type who leave Britain at 60 to retire to Spain you know.

Lots go to work overseas, stay away then get homesick or just sick.

NHS is bad? Yes it has its bad points. DBW – are you sure about cost(s) in France v UK for healthcare?….

andytherocketeer

and a great deal of expats are sent away on secondment, and actually pay UK NI still (c/o forms E101/E106, or now form A1 or whatever it’s called), and remain employed by a UK co.

banks
    Free Member

Marton, near congleton. But I’d move it closer to the Peak district.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I could be persuaded by franconia, Haute Provence or a few bits of Canada, the US and NZ but overall I’m pretty happy with Northumberland.

hora
    Free Member

Secondment isnt permanent. Its a temporary assignment.

I wonder if people who emigrate eventually tell locals about pride, stories from home etc.

You might leave but your heart doesnt. Britain with its leaden skies, complex communities, energy and passion to learn about the world can’t be beaten.

“And bugles calling for them from sad shires”

Was a line written in a poem about young men who will never go home to blighty. If I left the UK I would feel the pull to return home.

grantway
    Free Member

Bought a place near Alicante two years back and spent plenty of time there being its sunny 322 days in a year and what we have decided to do is soon to live 6 months there and 6 months here only when its good weather. Quality of life and food much better there than here!
    and only 2hr 20mins on the plane

chewkw
    Free Member

GeordieLand for now …

Inbred456
    Free Member

Very happy in the North East , would like a little holiday place in or around the North York moors, if abroad probably around Vezac in the Dordogne.

chewkw
    Free Member

I wish I could speak more languages so I can move around apart from English speaking countries.

loughor
    Free Member

Wales will always be ‘home’ for me, despite the fact I’ve lived in Hong kong almost 20 years. Live on Lantau, no high rise, surrounded by country park. Relatively well placed for Europe and Oz/NZ. Suits me at the moment, but nowhere is perfect.

Poopsies
    Free Member

Left the UK in early 2011 to come to NZ. Love it here but it took a while to feel that way. There are a few things I miss about the UK – living in the Peak District, the smell of cowshit on a winter ride, history, the ability to laugh at yourself etc but mostly it’s my mates I miss. There are a lot of things I don’t miss.

Last summer lasted for nearly six months and it was stunning. There is a lot more to life than good weather, but it definitely helps.

We’ll probably come back at some point and as my wife and I paid tax and NI for close on 40 years between us, and will do so again when we come back, we’ll be quite comfortable using the services of the NHS and other public services, thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Where would you rather live (UK content)?’ is closed to new replies.