Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Where would you live if you had to commute to Swinton?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

As the post really. It would be nice to live with some riding on the doorstep. Any suggestions where? Thanks

Nomad
    Free Member

Bolton on the edge of the moors, close to Rivi

br
    Free Member

Somewhere along the Swindon/Oxford road, and commute by M/C.

allthepies
    Free Member

Which Swinton ? Or did you mean Swindon ? 😐

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Manchester? Somewhere near a direct train

derek_starship
    Free Member

There are several towns called Swinton.

Can you be more specific?

trail_rat
    Free Member

presuming the mrs didnt work else where …..id choose to live in a 15mile radius of swinton on a decent cycle route.

edward2000
    Free Member

Sorry I meant Swinton in Manchester. The Mrs has to drive there to work. I am a home based sales manager so I can move anywhere. Nearby hills are a requirement (for me at least!)

Garry_Lager

E, SE of Manchester = nae riding. So you need to be either NE along the M61 corridor (Winter hill, rivington) or N along the M66, Bury or Ramsbottom way.

The M60 is a veil of tears at the moment with a massive managed motorway scheme being implemented. So a trial commute right now may give you a bleak picture – it will presumably get better.

gogg
    Free Member

Swinton

I’d have to go there 5 days a week, so I’d waste less time commuting and have more time free after work to get the jobs done that need doing at home, then freeing me up for full weekends of fun.

edward2000
    Free Member

Is Bromley Cross any good?

igm

Ahh Swinton, not Swindon. I was going to suggest somewhere down the trail round the back of the Nationwide – it always looks good – but I don’t know if there’s a Nationwide in Swinton.

duncancallum

I live in Horwich, there are 3 of us on my road who MTB and 3 fell runners.

I open the back gate and I am on the moors, its ace!

I will however agree that Horwich itself is needing abit of a make over but I really quite like it

keppoch

Unless it is truly awful surely Swinton is the correct answer to this. If you have to move anyway why would you locate yourself somewhere that you (or your wife) has to commute?

A commute is everyday often at the worst time to travel. Travelling to go cycling is a pain but not in the same league.

SaxonRider

I used to live in Swinton, and found decent riding hard to access. But the answer to your question depends on how inconvenient a commute your wife is willing to put up with. Your best bet, I would think, is the northwest side of Bolton, or the direction of Ramsbottom.

1-shed
    Free Member

I live near Swinton and will recommend housing nearby, Ellesmere Park Eccles posh with some lovely big houses. Pockets of Irlams of the Height around Lancaster road, Monton nice houses with a proper high street bars, restaurants and shops. Worsley pretty but lacking a proper high street. Boothstown a bit BMW impress the neighbours. The commute from the Bolton or Bury side would be horrid but it depends what your used to? Good luck with your search. Cheers 1 shed.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Where would you live if you had to commute to Swinton?’ is closed to new replies.