Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Where would you insure a Celica?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

The requirements being:
    1. very cheap
    2. mileage circa 2000 miles per annum

vinnyeh

aren’t you in ROI?

Not much use asking if you are, and didn’t specify that.

steveh

All the usual places, a Celica (unless it’s modded or something that you’ve not mentioned) isn’t that different to most cars or quick enough to be a particular worry as a sports car.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Heard of those insurance comparison websites?

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’ve just been quoted £2700 p/a, any more compare-the-meerkats?
    I’ll be buying a weekend car, UK plates a must.

TheFlyingOx

£2700?

Try elephant. They’ve just done me £520 on a big fast modified jap import. I’m 31, and wrote my old car off in 2009.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Can you get Celica’s covered on a classic policy? That’s where I’d be looking with such low milage.

Also try asking on Toyota/Celica forums. They’ll generally know which companies are better than others.

vinnyeh

I’ll be buying a weekend car, UK plates a must.

Not what you’ve intimated previously.

Insurance fraud is the main cause of hiked up premiums.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’m working from home, will be using my motorbike to commute if needed. Besides, I can insure it in Eire if I have a valid UK policy for not a lot.
    On top of that, my motorbike policy covers usage of other vehicles if they are insured, i.e. I can drive a car as long as it’s covered.

Daffy

Direct line were always cheapest for me when I owned a Celica T-sport. I was paying £575 when I was just 24.

And as their advert says, “they’re not on price comparison websites”

Hairychested
    Free Member

Cheers! So far I’ve been down to 975 Euro fully comp with loads of extras.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Hairy – we did this for a while with a yellow plated fiat in dublin but insured in the uk before we finally moved over here (uk-its a long story). I’m sure that legally we were ‘covered’ but I imagine they insurance co would have some significant wriggle room if you had to claim on your own policy.

On the other hand we didnt have to pay Irish car tax (1500 pa iirc?) which was probably more than the car was worth.

Hairychested
    Free Member

A mate’s been driving on UK plates for years here this way. Also, as I live near the border even council employees have UK plates, just check the carpark.
    The road tax for a 1.8 VVTi Celica is around 500 Euro per year, plus some 1200 Euro VRT, all that for a car worth maybe £2k. And now when NCT is to be annual, the potential benefits from registering it here are even less. I know I can drive it here no probs for 6 months and then the car must leave Ireland for the minimum of 48 hrs. I go to NI weekly, not too difficult then, is it? And with a decent car I will drive to Poland, not having to fly with Zooair AKA The Air of Ryan is worth it. Especially when you know the German motorways await you 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Hairychested – I’m not hassling you! Honest. I just thought I’d run it past you. We did the same thing. And my missus did it before I met her. So long as the car is worth approx less than the VRT + road tax etc.

EU insurance covers all EU TP issues but if the car is worth more than a VRT + tax then it’s a minor gamble / no brainer. Noboby’s gonna shop you but as an ex motor insurance guy – any reasonalbe excuse is the perfect excuse to not pay out for your own car.

Anyways, if you’re over 35 ish then I find Admiral, Driect Line (and associated companies) for me the cheapest.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I didn’t take it this way, I’m just in a foul mood and probably shows. I actually appreciate your and other’s comments.
    When somebody I know got stopped by Customs and told they were confiscating his car OR he had to pay a fine of 2.5k Euro he just laughed. A Volvo 244 (or thereabouts) estate, 2 years ago. I’ll do the same if needed (but with a proper, at least formally, cover I probably won’t have to).
    It still might not happen too soon if the Pug gets fixed cheaply (it’ll give me a year until the next NCT). If the missus keeps misbehaving she’ll be on first name terms with the Bus EireAnn drivers between Swords and Drogheda and the higher fuel consumption of the Pug won’t matter anyway 👿

coffeeking
    Free Member

Give Sky Insurance a call, I’ve been quoted 650 for a 300hp, fairly heavily modified, glass-top-door celica of similar value to a cheaper end modern one for normal miles SDP&C. Can’t be too much for a bog standard one on limited mileage. Tell them you saw their ad on GT4EC.net.

Hairychested
    Free Member

CoffeKing, thanks.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Admiral want over a grand, WTF?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Where would you insure a Celica?’ is closed to new replies.