• This topic has 61 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by lerk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Where was health and safety in 1961
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Balls of steel.

This is along one of the main suspension cables on the Forth Road Bridge. They are really steep at the top, it’s a hell of a long way down anywhere along it.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Well, at least they are wearing helmets… 🙄

Quite why tho’, I have no idea.

thepurist

Jamie! This pic needs men in yellow coats!

butcher

Eek.

iolo
    Free Member

And in a suit

wwaswas

“Alright then, who nicked the bridge?”

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s also a sodding long way over to the other side when clinging to a cable.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Meh – I’d do it. Looks like a calm day.

jag61

Looks a bit like the image of empire state building workers sat on a beam, And I can see at least 2 safety boats H&S sorted then

CaptJon
    Free Member

Were they three of the seven people who died during its construction?

flap_jack
    Free Member

You been up the Eiffel Tower and seen the stairs to the top that were used before the lifts were installed ? Horrifying.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

The days before the blame society, and when common sense prevailed .

Drac

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=1961-03-27a.944.6

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

when common sense prevailed

Indeed. Now they would expect safety harnesses to be worn…..how mad is that ?!!!

unovolo
    Free Member

I wonder if they chucked there belts over the wire and slid down like they do in the films when they had finished there shift.

br
    Free Member

And whoever thinks this, has never worked in heavy engineering, mining or quarrying…

Drac

And whoever thinks this, has never worked in heavy engineering, mining or quarrying…

FTFY.

doh
    Free Member

my walk to school used to be worse than that

crikey
    Free Member

…or had to tell a 19 year old that he has lost his right arm, or had to tell a mother that her son is dead.

Common sense?..

mattsccm
    Free Member

To me extent the point above is valid but nowadays its gone beyond reason. Therefore the objections of many as happens when things get taken to extreme.

crikey
    Free Member

but nowadays its gone beyond reason

Examples?

molgrips
    Free Member

The health and safety framework is a good one, but like anything else it has to be managed and implemented well. The stupid stories you hear are nothing to do with legislation, just people in charge being dim.

nickc

To me extent the point above is valid but nowadays its gone beyond reason

people not dying because of the work they do is: “beyond reason”? Weird POV

CountZero

I can’t imagine working on a structure where every day you look down on this:

Eeeeeek! 😯

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ah remember the days when our forebears worked for the owner, paid rent to the owner, got paid in tokens they could use only in the factory owners shops. Today they have to educate us, not work our children and worse they cannot even kill us even though it is cheaper than providing protection

H & S gone mad.

Northwind

Yeah, that’s my idea of common sense, you’d never get me up there in the first place

konabunny
    Free Member

Pfft, have you seen the helmets they’re wearing? It’s PC namby pamby Brussels lesbian health and safety blame game compo culture NuLieBore culture GORN MAD.

kayak23

Time for this video again…

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Z647lf3rE[/video]

althepal

That the mast climber vid? The bit right at the top is bonkers!
    Even though he’s got two safety clips its just pegs that they’re slipped over!
    Mind you- the one with russian kids doing pull-ups near the top of one is probably worse..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep I wish we could go back to the days where killing people before friday saved you paying them. Saves on pensions, NHS and all that

H&S gorn maaad i tellls you.

asbestos
    mines
    building sites
    construction

which would be better without modern H&S

dan1980
    Free Member

The issue as I see it is that because the laws surrounding H&S (guilty until proven innocent) are the wrong way round, it’s become an arse covering game. The people who end up the buck stopping with them are generally admin drones, who don’t have a full understanding of the tasks being carried out that they are trying to make safe so go overboard with the risk assessments.

theotherjonv

Mind you- the one with russian kids doing pull-ups near the top of one is probably worse..

Don’t….I find these threads compelling but so scary, I really don’t like heights. You only have to type Russian kids doing pull ups, I know what you mean, and my palms start to sweat.

Drac

Yes as it’s all about arse covering and finding people guilty before they’re innocent, it’s not about making sure people are safe at work.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

You only need compare the ‘date of guilty knowledge’ and the date actions were taken to prevent injury tonworkers in a few cases to see that without modern health and safety employers have generally carried on harming their workers without outside pressure.

On the coal health scheme that paid compensation for copd caused by coal dust British coal was considered to have been aware of the risk of copd in miners from june 1954 – respirators were not then compulsory at the coal face until the 1980’s

Asbestos is slightly different but the date of guilty knowledge is now thought to be in the 1930’s for some industries and in the 1960s for domestic settings. The stuff wasnt banned totally until the 90s. Due to the length of time it takes to develop mesothelioma we still havent hit the crest of the wave for that condition. And still there are debates about exposure rates – particuarly teachers who work in old poorly maintained buildings containing asbestos.

As I work in sheffield we have many clients who are the victims of industrial accidents – people would be horrified if they read some of the statements and accident reports – short cuts in working methods, faulty equipment etc. I used to be shocked reading how some employers behaved asuming things like that didnt happen in this day and age, but I have seen so many cases where there still appears to be little regard for the safety of the workers I sometimes wonder how much has changed.

Cougar

Wonder if that’s where the idea for this came from?

Bothered me for years that the perspective seemed wrong, they’re stood perpendicular to a fairly steep slope. Looking at that first image though, hmm…

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve go several books on the construction of the Forth Road Bridge – there’s loads of photos like that. My favourite is one bloke standing at the end of a girder, stretching out to grab another girder that’s hanging from a crane. His safety backup is his mate standing behind him holding his collar 😉

The attitude used to be that workers are adults and responsible for their own safety.

Markie
    Free Member

The attitude used to be that workers are adults and responsible for their own safety easily replaceable.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yeah, that too. Though I honestly think that most employers didn’t think that way – they thought that making workers do what we’d call H&S stuff was none of their business.

Markie
    Free Member

Which is why it was right that the government stepped in to ensure risks were managed in a reasonable way.

Working on farms in NZ many years ago, there were always old boys who eschewed any form of what they would now perhaps call health and safety nannyism – guards would be left off prop shafts and elevators, throttle safety releases held open with twine, etc. they believed the safety measures were unnecessary and slowed things down / made the job harder.

Yes, I was (nominally!) an adult and responsible for my own safety, equally I was the new boy in a macho (for want of a better word) culture that saw value in deliberately not mitigating the risks which existed in the working environment.

The girder boys may have believed they were taking responsibility for their own safety, but at the same time it may just have been that they needed work, this was the work they could do and they had no ability (either knowledge or company support) to properly assess and mitigate (sorry, couldn’t think of a synonym!) the risks they faced.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

H&S by and large has been a good thing and transformed safety at work, especially for dangerous jobs. My dad has worked on North Sea rigs for the last 30yrs and the H&S aftermath following Piper Alpha has had a huge impact and now the North Sea operations are by far the safest in the world, though still risky by its very nature.

But as with most things it can be taken too far and its all down to companies exposure to people claiming. The most recent example of this madness in my company is we now have to have our tea from a cup that has a lid so we have to drink our brew out of a straw or disposable coffee mug slit, all because someone spilt hot tea over their hand when walking back to their desk. Last week someone tripped up on their untied laces so now i’m waiting for the new edict that we all have to wear slip on shoes or shoes with velcro straps.

With these more minor things there has got to be a point where people say “Well that was you’re own silly fault wasn’t it? You need to be more careful”. The one that gets me is people claiming for tripping up. Look where you’re going! They were probably updating their Facebook site while walking at the time anyway.

Alot of this sillyness is not driven by H&S but by lawyers. They’ve got to feather their nests somehow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Where was health and safety in 1961’ is closed to new replies.