Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Where to stay New York?
  • flip
    Free Member

My dead ace wife is taking me to New York for my birthday.

Where are we going to stay? recomendations please, we’ll be doing the normal tourist stuff.

Names and locations of good hotels would be a god send

Cheers.

dave_aber
    Free Member

I’m going in 2 weeks, I’ll let you know. (Or I’ll poach the suggestions which may or may not arrive below). Staying in central Manhattan, 7th & 55th

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I stayed in an apartment on 57th/5th. Horrible experience. So claustrophobic, and always noisy.

You may be ok with confined space and noise, though. But maybe something a little quieter might be a bit nicer?

flip
    Free Member

Cheers folks, quietish would be nice really and maybe high up for a view 🙄

RudeBoy
    Free Member

High up is nice, although it’s kind of negated when all you can see are other skyscrapers (I was in Trump Tower)!

I found it to be too much. Just felt trapped. A chore just to go down and get a packet of cigs, and a right hassle having to deal with a simple thing like crossing the road. And New Yorkers aren’t all friendly, trust me. Some right uptight feckers about.

Glittering temples of Mamon; and imposing towers of Babel. The refuge of Greed, Fear and Insecurity.

Some good cheap places to eat, mind.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Never stayed there myself, but friends over there recommend the larchmont:

http://www.larchmonthotel.com/

Depends how much you want to spend really, some very pricey hotels there

superlurch
    Free Member

I Fooking love New York!

I took the wife for her 40th a couple of weeks ago. We stayed in the “Park Central” on 7th and 56. It was great! Clean, modern and it’s got a really nice New Yoikey /art deco-ey reception.

It’s only about a few minutes walk from Broadway/Central Park/Times Square and all that but it’s still not to hectic. And there’s a subway station next door!

http://www.parkcentralny.com/

Booked it through Expedia and got a good rate…

🙂

sL

dave_aber
    Free Member

superlurch – That’s good to hear, as it’s just a kick in the arse from where I’ve booked, also through Expedia. Only cock-up so far was not going through top cashback for a 7.5% rebate. bugger!

marcus7
    Free Member

I’ve stayed at the hilton and the wellington and they were what i expected, poor relatively speaking, but no worse that london or paris…but they are well located and getting to the tourist places is easy. plan to only sleep in the hotel and it don’t much matter, I loved the place by the way if only for the experience (both good and bad!)

manitou
    Free Member

hotel Belleclaire 250 west 77th. stayed there 4 times. clean and quiet but not too far from the tourist stuff

keavo
    Free Member

eastgate tower suite. you’ll get a studio (lounge, bedroom, kitchen) for the same price as a small bedroom that most hotels charge. good central location, not far from the central station.

andygreener

Hotel Beacon on West 75th and Broadway. Stayed their numerous times over the years. Highly recommended.

Yetiman
    Free Member

My wife and I stayed a couple of times at the UN Plaza hotel which is directly opposite the UN building. The views are absolutely stunning and it’s pretty close to central park and central station.

http://www.millenniumhotels.com/millenniumunplazanewyork/gallery/index.html

steve_b77
    Free Member

Waldorf Astoria is the way forwad, we stayed there 2 1/2 years ago 😀

swoosh
    Free Member

anyone been at xmas time? is anything open on xmas day itself?

flatback
    Free Member

belvedere is pretty clean and central,go for location as you will spend so little time in your room.

Drac

NYC is fantastic place I was never interested in going but took my wife 5 years ago and it was an amazing place. They’re very friendly people but to expect all to be is foolish and as for everything being a chore nonsense it’s so easy to find what you want and crossing the road even easier there’s crossing on every street corner.

Can’t wait to get back.

UncleFred
    Free Member

The Dylan – Boutique (Very Expensive, not a big room but luxurious)
    EastGate Towers – What Keavo said.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

2 ends of the price spectrum here, both good value for money,

The Novotel on 52nd & Broadway is a very good budget end hotel, I stayed there in 2006 and found the location to be quiet and also great for the touristy thing.
    2008 I stayed in the Westin Times Square – upmarket 42nd & 8th, beautiful rooms but I paid for a high floor with a view so paid a supplement – beds to die for..
    The room was quiet cos it was so far up (45th floor) but great views.

enfht
    Free Member

I’d recommend Le Parker Meridien on 56th. Ask for a room on the top floors and you get a great view of central park. You’d be very central so it’s a good starting pont for any adventures you plan. Also, if you get time make sure you do the harbour helicopter ride it’s frickin cool!!! I wasn’t sure if I’d like New York but I was blown away with the architecture, I’d been expecting loads of faceless dull skycrapers. If you visit the Empire State buy your tickets beforehand online and get there early early otherwise you end up queuing for literally hours. Great short-break destination, not sure about staying any longer than 2 or 3 nights though..

Drac

We got straight into the Empire State both times day and evening, someone gave us a tip of what time to go but forgot when now.

Oh an stayed at the 30 30 Hotel on err 30 and 30 very basic but clean hotel, very central though Empire State was right around the corner.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

The best way to get about in the first couple of days – especially if its a first visit is to buy 48hr buss passes off the greyline buses – hop on and off where ever you like, tour guids thrown in – also do the liberty helicopter big apple flight – not that expensive but a good trip ( only about 5-6 mins long tho’) – But – the best value trip I have had is totally free – go down to battery park ferry terminal and catch the totally free Staten Island Ferry – the views of downtown manhatten are brilliant from the ferry, dont waste time going to the statue of liberty, go up the rockerfeller ( the lift has a glass roof ) brilliant.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Marcus7 – I’ve booked a room in the Wellington – when you say ‘poor relatively’ – How poor do you mean?

takisawa2

Went pre 9/11 & stayed in a god awful place on West 96th st. And when I mean awful it was seriously hideous. I’m sure they filmed the “Saw” films there…
    Anyhow, we almost stayed at a guest house on Statten Island, nr the ferry terminal. While there we had a ride on the ferry & took a look & it was very nice. Should have stayed there with hindsight but Mrs wanted to be in Manhattan.

swoosh
    Free Member

can i ask a really silly question. what’s nyc like to walk around at night? Probably sticking to manhattan. around the empire state building area?

Drac

Sick to to the main streets and you’ll be fine but you can easily find yourself wandering some where that looks a bit uncomfortable. At the end of very night we’d hop in a cab cost only a few dollars.

I’d say walk about the first day you’ll soon get an idea of how things work it’s built on a grid so isn’t hard to find you way about. We had a cracking guide book with a map in the back, I’ll find the name and post back.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

Main areas of Manhattan stay busy through most of the night, so are quite safe. We found ourselves wandering into Harlem looking for a bar late at night – not a good idea!

flatback
    Free Member

i walked everywhere in manhatten and allways felt safer than here in south wales

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay New York?’ is closed to new replies.