Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Where to stay near Bike Park Wales?
  • kermit
    Free Member

Evening all,

Would anyone have any recommendations for places to stay near BPW for a Friday/Saturday in May? Not necessarily specific accommodation, so much as which towns/villages to consider.

This is for a group of a dozen or so of us, mostly 30s & 40s, so somewhere nice for a few relaxed beers rather than full on Cardiff nightlife.

If anyone does know of anywhere decent, especially if it can house a dozen with secure bike storage, that would be a bonus! 🙂

cardo

Contact Bob and Sue at the The Butchers Arms, Pontsticill Steak,Beers and bunkhouse scenario
    Stayed a few times and its sound.

soobalias
    Free Member

stayed at the Butchers a couple of times, basic bunkhouse, food, beer, another pub in the village and well situated to do the Gap ride the day after BPW

in my phone as Phil tho – has it changed hands?

kermit
    Free Member

Gap ride? What’s this? We’ve been debating what to do on the Sunday! 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

its a proper ride, look it up under Classic MTB routes…

Brecon Gap Bike Ride: Mind the Gap!

starting from pontiscill and going clockwise, you get to stop at the star inn in talybont for a lunchtime pint

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

starting from pontiscill and going clockwise, you get to stop at the star inn in talybont for a lunchtime pint

We do it from Talybont. Nice place to spend the evening! The White Star has a cracking whisky selection, as I found out very heavily on our last trip there!

Also, that bridleway to the right after the gate on the descent is a bike killer! From a few years ago, and not my bike.

Tinners

We’ve stayed in The Bear hotel in Crickhowell several times in the past (mainly because we can’t walk after doing the Mynydd Ddu loop and it’s easy to stay at our chosen start/stop point). Great place to stay, good food and beer, a small selection of other places to eat/drink in the town if you want a wander or a curry. Very genteel. Not as cheap as a bunkhouse though and more of a “treat” for us. Safe lockup for bikes and always been biker friendly to us when we’ve stayed there. About 15-20 min drive from BPW. About 10 mins from the start of the Gap ride too (which you must do if you’re in the vicinity).

jekkyl

Anyone got a gpx of the gap ride? Would appreciate it to my email, on profile ta.

kermit
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d manage two nights on the beer, BPW and the Gap before driving back to Surrey from looking at it! 😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Where to stay near Bike Park Wales?’ is closed to new replies.